3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 11:20 PM by R Neil Haugen

Video distortion when importing MOV file into Premiere Pro

bsack03333

On my mac my premiere is having issues when I import .Mov files. I was shooting on my Canon 70D DSLR at 30frames and when I import files the playback breaks up and is distorted at various points. It doesn't seem like all the files are doing this only some of them have this problem when they are imported. The footage was all shot under the same settings in the same 3 hour period. I tried exporting files and the distortion is still present in the exported media file. I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 5.12.13 PM.png

• 1. Re: Video distortion when importing MOV file into Premiere Pro
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, some info of your computer specs would be useful ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM, specific version of PrPro, any other plugins installed and such. Further, what is the location of your footage (internal/external/connection type) and drive arrangement for program/footage/cache/& etc?

Next, does the playback do this on specific frames every time or randomly while playing back?

Neil

• 2. Re: Video distortion when importing MOV file into Premiere Pro
            bsack03333 Level 1

I'm on a Mac book pro. 2.2 GHz, *8 GB 1600 Mhz Ram, 40GB  free on the hard drive. I'm running the video's from an external but have tried moving it to the comp and there was no change. I'm also running the  latest version of premier pro (8.1).

The playback issue is on the same frames it seems.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Video distortion when importing MOV file into Premiere Pro
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interesting that it's on the same frames ... have you certain effects that would impact those more than others?

Also ... only 8Gb RAM, sounds like one internal that's pretty much stuffed, and footage on an external ... PrPro runs a ton of crap through both the CPU & the GPU (depending on what you're doing and how much it "likes" your GPU/Vram)  and also writes massive files to the database, media cache, and through the CPU use the OS's system cache typically. You've got a LOT of readin'/writin' going on, and with only 40Gb free there's not a lot of free space for things to be just parked for random access in a moment or two.

Also curious ... what's the connection to the external? USB2 or 3? Thunderbolt? eSATA?

Neil