2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 8:18 AM by felzi276

Export PDS-file to JPG and reimport to LR5 in one step

felzi276 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm working with LR5 and PS CC2014 since a few month. After editing a photo in PS (using LR5 function "edit in Photoshop ...") the PSD file is automatically included in my catalog. Depending on retouching activities the PSD file is very large (500-800 MB). In most cases I actually don't need that large PSD file any more. A JPG or TIF file would be good enough for me.

At the moment I export the PSD file to disk (as JPG or TIF) and then reimport that exported file manually with the Import function. Is there a shortcut for that available? Maybe with "Export Actions"?

Or what are you doing with you retouched PDS files?

I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Thomas

• 1. Re: Export PDS-file to JPG and reimport to LR5 in one step
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of your export functions in the export dialog is to add the exported photos to the catalog. Just make sure you have that option checked. It's in the very first section of the export options.

I don't know if you work with raw images. That's what I shoot exclusively. I have to my Lightroom external editing options set to create TIF images. I do is much work as I possibly can using Lightroom. Then I use Photoshop when it is absolutely necessary. The resulting TIF becomes my primary image that I used to do additional editing or return to Photoshop if necessary. I only export JPEG images when I want to use them for the web, e-mail, or to send to a lab to be printed. Those JPEG images are discarded after they have been used for their intended purpose.

• 2. Re: Export PDS-file to JPG and reimport to LR5 in one step
            felzi276 Level 1

It's so easy. Clumsy me!

JimHess schrieb:

I don't know if you work with raw images. That's what I shoot exclusively. I have to my Lightroom external editing options set to create TIF images. I do is much work as I possibly can using Lightroom. Then I use Photoshop when it is absolutely necessary. The resulting TIF becomes my primary image that I used to do additional editing or return to Photoshop if necessary. I only export JPEG images when I want to use them for the web, e-mail, or to send to a lab to be printed. Those JPEG images are discarded after they have been used for their intended purpose.

I shoot exclusively raw, too. And I also try to do most of the work in LR5. Only for retouching skin or removing unwanted objects etc I use PS. But I'm not yet really certain, what would be best to do with the edited image.

If you set external editing options to TIF you get a TIF back from PS, so you do not need to convert it, like I did, right? You can edit the image in PS with all the functions that you have when you set the image format to PSD?