13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 9:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13

glennmagi Level 1

In a previous version of PE I created a DVD, now I want to bring those videos in from the DVD but PE13 won't let me. Original video files are gone.

• 1. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to copy the DVD files to a location on your hard drive and then import them.  Somebody like ATR will probably respond soon with more specific instructions.

• 2. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

glennmagi

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? In what specific way is

I want to bring those videos in from the DVD but PE13 won't let me

1. You would insert your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc into your burner tray,

2. Pre-set Premiere Elements 13 to a project preset

of NTSC Standard or DVD-Widescreen depending on the format on the disc. (Assuming for now you are in a NTSC setup.)

3. Use Add Media/"DVD Camera or computer drive"/Video Importer where you set up

a. Source = drive location for the disc

b. Save In = your choice for saving the video files copied from the disc

c. Selecting the DVD video files (VTS_01_1.VOB and the rest in that specific series)

4. If you check Add to Timeline, after you hit Get Media in the Video Importer dialog, you will

find your files in the opened new project.

If you are having problems during the burn to phase

a. Can you burn to folder if you cannot burn to disc?

b. Have you determined if you need to enable or disable the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher preference

in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Details are important.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

glennmagi

Add On...There is no need to copy the DVD video files to the computer hard drive prior to any contact with Premiere Elements.

The Add Media/"DVD camera or computer drive"/Video Importer choice should do it for you nicely. And, you do not have to convert the VOB files into anything else in order to get the job done in Premiere Elements.

Lots more details. We will deal with them each when you post further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                glennmagi Level 1

When I try to bring in the video from the method you said, I get an error message and it tells me the main cause of it is trying to bring in video that is from a copyrighted source. I did not copyright this dvd though, I simply made it using an earlier version of this same program.

• 5. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                  glennmagi Level 1

I hope I do get more instructions as doing this also doesn't work, here is the error message I get when trying this:

"Error Message - The importer reported a generic error"

It seems the program is designed not to allow video to come in from a DVD disk, even in this case it is my own videos on the DVD.

• 6. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

glennmagi

Does you message prevent you from moving forward in the project? Please re-evaluate your situation. You may be misinterpreting what is happening. Let us explore

1. You go through the path Add Media/"DVD camera or computer drive"/ without error. When you get to Video Importer, the first thing that you see is

the following message about DVDs and copyright.

VideoImporterMessage.JPG

The message is not telling you that your video is copy protected. Instead it is advising you that, if it is, then you are

heading for problems in processing the video in Premiere Elements. After you click OK to that message, are you

experiencing any problems in what follows? If so, what and when?

Otherwise everything is "normal" and you do not have any problems.

ATR

• 7. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

glennmagi

Thanks for the replies.

The messages are getting posted often out of sync due to some unexplained web site delays.

Apparently you are getting through the copyright message with the OK. When does the "Error Message - The importer reported a generic error"

message present - at what particular phase - such as

When you are in the Video Importer, you have select the DVD video files...VTS_01_1.VOB and series, VTS_02_1.VOB and series,

and so on depending on the duration of the presentation and you click on Get Media....

or

At another phase of the procedure?

Are you only selecting the above mentioned files in the Video Importer and not taking in some non video file VOBs as well.

Right now I am targeting

a. You trying to import some non DVD video files along with the DVD video files

and

b. The format of the DVD structure of the disc itself - in this case, it would be helpful for you to explore the disc content to

verify OpenDVD Folder plus VIDEO_TS Folder. And, then the structure of the VIDEO_TS Folder starting with VTS_01_1.VOB etc.

as eluded to above. There should be no issues here if the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc were produced by Premiere Elements originally.

ATR

• 8. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                        glennmagi Level 1

Error.JPG

Hello,

I am going past warning message and clicking get media, after the progress bar goes for awhile then I get the above message. One time in the video importer I saw the video images of what is there, now I do not and just see a generic video strip. I tried to import just one video from the DVD and the above message is what I get.

• 9. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

glennmagi

Let us try this to explore the integrity of the VTS files that are being copied in the Video Importer process.

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in burner tray.

Open the disc, then open the VIDEO_TS Folder.

Copy the VTS_01_1.VOB from the VIDEO_TS Folder to the computer desktop.

Open Premiere Elements 13 and set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Widescreen (assuming that agrees with the format of the file).

Use Add Media/Files and Folders to import the VTS_01_1.VOB from the desktop into Project Assets.

a. Does it import without error messages?

Repeat this for the other VTS.... DVD video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder. Any problems with the rest of them?

So far, have you detected anything atypical in the structure or naming of the files on the DVD disc?

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Also, please look at the issue with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher preference disabled in Edit Menu/

Preferences/General.

ATR

• 10. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                            glennmagi Level 1

Well, I am trying this all again but here is what happened:

I pulled a video file from the DVD and place it on the desktop, it takes awhile it is 250MB. After about 10 minutes I get error message, "Can't Read from The Source File or Disk", it asks, "Try again?" I click yes, then I get the same error message "Can't read" etc. I close it. I have several copies of the DVD and tried different ones the error messages are the same.

Glenn

• 11. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Thanks for that follow up information. It would appear that the issues do not reside in the Video Importer process itself but rather in the disc or the computer.

Please confirm that all these DVD discs are DVD-R or DVD-RW and not DVD RAM.

Also, were all these DVD discs from a Premiere Elements burn to disc?

If not, I am wondering if the DVD discs were finalized after they were produced.

Please remind me on what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 13 is running.

I will think about this some more in the morning.

Thanks for looking at the suggestions. Hopefully in the morning we will find the answers.

ATR

• 12. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                                glennmagi Level 1

Hello,

Amazingly, when I tried first thing this morning to move that 260MB video file to my desktop it did it and right away! I have no idea why it was giving so much trouble yesterday. Anyway, I have loaded into PE and everything seems to be ok now. Thanks for yours and everyone else's help.

Glenn

• 13. Re: Bringing my video from my DVD into PE13
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Great news. Great job of staying with the troubleshooting. It is good that you have a route to get the DVD video files into Premiere Elements project using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and then to the Timeline.

Out of curiosity and when you have time, you might want to revisit the Video Importer way to see if that is now working also.

Best wishes for the New Year and always.

ATR