5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 1:35 PM by unc417

file length not recognized

unc417 Level 1

Hello all

I searched but could not find the answer to my problem, so thank you for any help you can provide.

I have a new HXR-NX3 I am evaluating to replace my PD170 cams. Using DV mode on the cam, I am unable to properly import the video files into PPro CS6. The 2GB files are 9:47 each, but PPro only sees 2:37.  I can import the files into Premiere Elements 7 and join them in the timeline with no problems.

So why can CS6 not see the entire length of the clips?

The HD test recordings I've done seem to be ok, but I need the DV mode to work as well.

Thanks

• 1. Re: file length not recognized
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using Media Browser to import the files?

• 2. Re: file length not recognized
            unc417 Level 1

I've tried importing in every way I know.

I've used the Media Browser and simple drag&drop files into the project file list. Either way gives the same result.

• 3. Re: file length not recognized
              unc417 Level 1

Has nobody else run in to this problem? I'm still only able to see 2:37 of a 9:47 avi file.

• 4. Re: file length not recognized
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Unc416,

unc417 wrote:

Has nobody else run in to this problem? I'm still only able to see 2:37 of a 9:47 avi file.

So this is a file based DV stream? Perhaps that has something to do with it. In the past, you could only ingest DV via FireWire.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 5. Re: file length not recognized
                  unc417 Level 1

I've never imported footage via firewire, not directly to the computer that is. The setup I've used for years now, I've recorded from the PD170 via firewire to various DV recorders. Currently using Focus-Vitec H200 Pro Compact Flash recorders. That gives me a single dv-mov file, anywhere from 14-17GB usually, that I can import into Premiere. I'm also using one older Focus hard drive based recorder that makes multiple 2GB dv-avi files that I join manually in the timeline and re-encode into a single file. In the past I've also used recorders that made single large dv-avi files. All of these methods worked fine.

The only thing different in the new process is the camera. The NX3 has built in SD card recording so I don't have to use external recorders.  Eventually I'll probably switch to hidef, and the Sony CMU software seems to import that just fine. But for as long as I'm using a mix of NX3 and PD170 cams I'll need to use DV.

Thanks