4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 7:22 PM by MissVikkiLynn

Corrupts Files When I Try To Edit

MissVikkiLynn

I'm using a logitech c920 camera to record videos. I bought Adobe so I could simply watermark/title and cut out various things I did not want. I downloaded the program (from Amazon) and I then took a (perfectly fine video file) into it to edit. The file has off color, it speeds up then slows down, then the audio does not match the video.

I tried multiple files from my logitech cam and it all reacted similar or the same.

I tried a Canon Camcorder video file and that was fine.

But I mostly record with my logitech...I'm very frustrated and feel I wasted my money if I can not use this program to edit my files. The reason I obviously bought it. I'm hoping someone has a solution. I don't want to have to use my canon to record all the time as I can't get the same affects as with my logitech in range and movement.

• 1. Re: Corrupts Files When I Try To Edit
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MissVikkiLynn

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Can we assume that you purchased Premiere Elements 13 and are running it on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit?

What are the properties of the Logitech C920 video? From what I have read, you should be recording 1080p30 video with H.264 video compression.

What is the file extension - .mp4 or other? Keys factors to rule in or out

a. Premiere Elements often does not fare well with video recorded with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one. Do you know if your recordings are with variable or constant frame rate?

b. Before you open the webcam, do you manually set the Premiere Elements 13 project preset to match the properties of your source which I am presuming are 1080p30 (1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second)...for that video, the project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

c. After the project preset is set and you use Add Media/Webcam or WDM to turn on the webcam, is the image in the Premiere Elements Capture Windows distorted in anyway? When does the image become distorted - only when it hits the Timeline without any edits or effects applied? Are you saying yes to any pop up dialogs during this period? Go to Applied EffectsTab/Applied Effects Palette/. Do you see only the Motion and Opacity Panels there? If you see more panels than that, what are they? Next go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/ and determine if there is a green dot on any of the panels there.

d. When you have your capture on the Timeline and are playing it back in the Edit area monitor, is there an orange line over that Timeline content?

Please review and consider. And, then let us see what we can put together for troubleshooting strategy.

I have a built in SD camera with my Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have no problems using it with Premiere Elements 13 (Add Media/Webcam or WDM) installed on that computer.

ATR

• 2. Re: Corrupts Files When I Try To Edit
            MissVikkiLynn Level 1

Hi

Thank you.

I have premier elements 13.

I'm using 1080HD Logitech recording settings. I have an Alienware laptop, Windows 7 and I downloaded the 64bit. File extension wmv or mp4.

I'm told that my logitech camera will have a variable frame rate instead of constant.If this is the case it appears Adobe Premier 13 won't work for me at all with my logitech web cam and settings?

I'm not sure what or where the pre set options are that you are referring too.

When I add media the file automatically without trying to edit or render is "corrupted" for lack of a better term. I try to render to "fix" it and that does not work either.

• 3. Re: Corrupts Files When I Try To Edit
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MissVikkiLynn

Thanks for the follow up.

When you select Webcam or WDM, the webcam opens and you will see yourself in the Premiere Elements 13 Capture Windows monitor. What I was trying to confirm, at that point is the image that you see in the monitor distorted even before you hit Capture button below the monitor.

or

Does the image that you see before hitting the Capture button become distorted only once it is captured and on the Timeline?

As for setting the project preset manually, that you do via File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. Details for that are in the following link.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Does the Logitech webcam work in Movie Maker 2012?

Have you gone through the drill described earlier to rule in or out that effects are being applied to your Timeline recording without your knowledge.

There is an online video tutorial on how Premiere Elements works with webcams. It was an earlier version, probably 10, and it demo'd the feature using the Logitech C920. It worked great. So, I am being guarded here with regard to cause and effect.

I would tack in a question about your computer's video card/graphics card if it were not for your report that Canon camcorder results are good.

We will watching for further results when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 4. Re: Corrupts Files When I Try To Edit
                MissVikkiLynn Level 1

Thank you again.

I use to use movie maker with no problems and still sometimes use it but once they upgraded it with Windows 7 when I go to publish something I have edited it throws the color off every time.

This is why I purchased Adobe to try and have a better program to use.

I had a friend open one of my videos in his earlier version or Adobe (11 I think?) and he said they worked fine. It appears the new version could be a culprit. Just like the old movie maker worked fine then when they "upgraded" it it no longer does.

I think I'm a bit confused when you mention opening the webcam and seeing it in Adobe Premier?

I viewed the link you attached.

The reason I bought Adobe was for ease of use and not having to guess or change settings for every video I want to edit before I do so and hoping it works. (no hard feelings towards you) It seems cumbersome to have to do all that before I simply want to add a title and cut a few parts out. Use to take me five minutes in movie maker before they "updated" it.

I appreciate your time. It appears I could just be out of $70.

It's getting late here and I've literally been trying to troubleshoot this issue for 5+ hours today. Losing time, money and patience. I'm going to look over the suggestions again tomorrow and see if my brain is not as fried to try and manually change the frame settings before adding the media.

-sigh