5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 6:47 PM by A.T. Romano

how do I remove empty timelines?

bordstiff Level 1

I have captured files from my Sony HandyCam HD and placed them on a timeline, however they appear on Video track 2 leaving Video 1 track empty. I have tried to delete by right clicking but with no success.

Because having two timelines on screen it doesn’t allow the preview window full vision for editing.

Can anyone help resolve my issue?

• 1. Re: how do I remove empty timelines?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bordstiff

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

You cannot delete or hide Video 1 and Audio 1. You can rename tracks including Video 1 and Audio 1. But Video 1 and Audio 1 (renamed or not) cannot be deleted or hidden as much as I tried.

If worse comes to worse you can make the tracks smaller.

Can you select all and move the Video 2/Audio 2 content down to Video 1/Audio 1 and then hide Video 2/Audio 2?

Please consider and then we can discuss this further.

ATR

Just in case add On...You can explore the track opportunities by right clicking around the track names to get the pop up with track options.

• 2. Re: how do I remove empty timelines?
            bordstiff Level 1

Romano

Thanks for your reply.

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 7 installed. My operating is Windows 7. Prior to purchasing my new camera I was using DV Tape which produced Avi files, I had no problems as you would understand.

The reason I wanted to remove track one is because I cannot get it to accept imported clips, they always go to track 2. So how do I get the clips to track one. I have try to copy them down (drag them) with no success.

I am aware of the track options.

Eddie

• 3. Re: how do I remove empty timelines?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

I may have the answer if not the solution to your issue.

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera recording your video? Is your video being recorded with stereo or 5.1 channel audio?

Premiere Elements 7 is notorious for its handling of video that has 5.1 channel audio.

If you have files with 5.1 channel audio, you make sure that you are using one of the project presets that

has 5.1 channel audio in its description or else you end up with your file on one of the higher video tracks.

Please let us know the properties of your video source, and then we can fine tune the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: how do I remove empty timelines?
                bordstiff Level 1

ATR

What is written in the Specifications: for Sony HDR-PJ540E. 

Audio: Dolby Digital 2ch/5.1ch Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator MP4

Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch

Where do I look to check for Project Preset?

Regards and A happy New Year.

Eddie

• 5. Re: how do I remove empty timelines?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

Sony HDR-PJ540E

You need to verify, but the camera is probably recording AVCHD 1920 x 1080 with that 5.1 channel audio.

When you open Premiere Elements 7, you should be greeted by the new project dialog. The project preset is set there. And, by

default is NTSC DV Standard in a NTSC setup and PAL DV Standard in a PAL setup. Click on "Change Settings" in that new project dialog.

That project preset should be set to match the properties of your source video. So, assuming NTSC set up for now, set the project preset

in the new project dialog to

NTSC

AVCHD

and then select/highlight

Full HD 1080i30 5.1 channel

Click OK to continue.

You now should be able to put your AVCHD with 5.1 channel audio on Video 1/Audio 1.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks

ATR

Add On...To verify the frame rate, after you import the file into the project, go to Edit Header/and in row below, Project.

Right click the file's thumbnail in Project, select Properties, and read the frame size there.