14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2015 1:49 PM by Geoff the kiwi

2 users on imac

Kruppe

I have placed the lightroom catalogue and the preview file on the shared users folder. The files are on an external thunderbolt drive. Now I am able to open photos on both user accounts on the imac.

But when I open lightroom on one account, I can't use the develop module. I get an error message "File access was denied".

I hope someone can help med sort this out.

• 1. Re: 2 users on imac
          SausalitoDog Level 2

Sounds more like a Permissions issue than a Lightroom one. Check one file to see if the permissions are set to "everybody"  or at least to each of your names and I think that will solve the problem.

Tom O'Connell

• 2. Re: 2 users on imac
            Kruppe Level 1

Hi Tom

Thank you for your fast response. I have manually given my wife account and my own account read and write access to both lightroom files. This enabled med to actually see the files on the secondary account. So one problem was solved by what you suggest.

But the main problem is still there. I get a lightroom generated error "File access was denied". When I try to use the develop module on one of the user accounts. Also the develop module adjustment sliders are greyed out.

• 3. Re: 2 users on imac
              SausalitoDog Level 2

Kruppe-

Are you trying to use the catalog on both macs at the same time? That would definitely not work. When you open the catalog on one mac, it reserves the file for that mac only - you can "open" it for viewing on the other mac but it will be read only. When you close LR on the first machine, you should wait for the LR cat to update and then open it on the second machine.

If this is your problem, I don't know how to work around it. And to tell the truth, I may be a bit off but I don't think so. I use LR on two macs (both the same account) but I keep the cat file in dropbox, so it may work a little bit differently for me.

If the second mac works when you quit LR on the first, the only solution I can think of would be to duplicate the cat and preview files for each machine...this sounds dangerous though as it would be very difficult to keep them in proper sync - so if you do that, make a backup every time you use the files.

Good luck

Tom

• 4. Re: 2 users on imac
                robgendreau Level 3

I think the OP is using LR on ONE computer but with two user accounts.

Aside from the catalog and the photos, there can be permissions issues with supporting files, and these can be more troublesome, since they reside on one's ~/Library folder and are tough to share.

Take a look at this: Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific | Adobe software | Mac OS

Could be caches, prefs, etc. Or remaining permissions issues with the photos themselves.

• 5. Re: 2 users on imac
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you subscribe to the creative cloud? Tools in the develop module grayed out is something that can happen with the creative cloud version. And this could be an issue of trying to have two users on the same creative cloud account. You are allowed two installations, but only for the use of the one user. This could be the issue, but probably isn't. Just trying to cover all the bases.

• 6. Re: 2 users on imac
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do realise that Lightroom is a single user application that can be used on two machines but not by two users on the same machine.

• 7. Re: 2 users on imac
                      SausalitoDog Level 2

Good point, Geoff. I made the assumption that they each had a CC account but wanted to share the catalog.

You are certainly right that they each need a license. With that, I would think they could readily share a catalog so long as they didn't try to use it at the same time. Am I right in that?

Tom O'Connell

• 8. Re: 2 users on imac
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

The OP is talking about ONE computer with TWO  user accounts on the same Imac so would not be violating the license agreement.

• 9. Re: 2 users on imac

Bob Somrak wrote:

The OP is talking about ONE computer with TWO  user accounts on the same Imac so would not be violating the license agreement.

My understanding of the license is that is a Single User License for use on two computers by the same User but not at the same time. Different Users require different licenses.Have you read you EULA Bob???

• 10. Re: 2 users on imac
                            NicHamilton Level 3

...just about to write exactly what Geoff has.  My reading of the EULA is one user.

No idea if the software is actually clever enough to thus prevent the same software running from separate user accounts on the same computer....since this could be still be the same user just using different accounts on the same computer.

• 11. Re: 2 users on imac
                              Kruppe Level 1

If what Geoff says about the EULA is true, then that means that only I am allowed to look at our photos in lightroom and not my wife - on the same computer - I have a very hard time believing that this is the case. In any case the problem persist. My wife and me on the same imac. I would like for her to go into lightroom and look at the latest photos without logging out and logging into my account.

• 12. Re: 2 users on imac
                                NicHamilton Level 3

Read the EULA, seems pretty clear to me, however you or I might feel about it in reality.

• 13. Re: Re: 2 users on imac
                                  robgendreau Level 3

What EULA  language are you referring to?

I see "You may install and use one copy of the Software on up to the Permitted Number of your compatible Computer." You being the owner. In their FAQs they say "No more than one user can use a single-user license Adobe product." But note that they didn't say "only the owner can use a single-user" product. "[O]ne user" is presumably there instead for a reason. Generally the "user" would be you, the administrator, or someone you delegate to on that machine, as long as it's one user. I wouldn't worry about it. Adobe has NEVER said that its perpetual software is restricted to one user account on a machine; indeed the Adobe documentation I cited about contemplates problems associated with multiple accounts on the same machine. And note when you activiate it's for each machine, not each account. Since only one person can use an account on one machine at a time the developer is pretty much assured the license is complied with. Again, CC might be different. And with some Adobe products you'd need a separate license for an emulated OS or bootcamp versions.

• 14. Re: Re: 2 users on imac

Kruppe wrote:

If what Geoff says about the EULA is true, then that means that only I am allowed to look at our photos in lightroom and not my wife - on the same computer - I have a very hard time believing that this is the case. In any case the problem persist. My wife and me on the same imac. I would like for her to go into lightroom and look at the latest photos without logging out and logging into my account.

You did say you could see the photos but not use the Develop module???

So is Lightroom that you are using a component of CC or is it a stand alone license?? Let us know that please.