10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 2:30 PM by nolongerapplicable

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working

Ainsy

When I launch Adobe Premiere Elements 9 the only menu options that are available are to create a new Project or open a previous one, all other menu options are greyed out. Creating a new project has no effect. If I attempt to open a previous project I get a message saying a serious error has occurred and Premiere must close. This product had been working fine for the past two years. 

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ainsy

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 working on?

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Are you working with a pen and tablet instead of a mouse?

Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Let us start with deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists. I am assuming that you are working on Window 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

Important: Be sure to be working with the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the path cited.

Do you have installation files and a purchased serial number for your Premiere Elements 9 in case we need to go for an uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewall disabled>

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
            Ainsy Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I got rid of the whole 9.0 folder and it is now working.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ainsy

Thank you for the follow up with the great news that you have resolved your issue and are moving forward with the projects. Great job.

Your follow up is appreciated by all.

Please let us know if you have questions or need clarification for any of your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...If you have not already, please consider downloading, installing, and working with the 9.0.1 Update.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Please use the above link with the program closed. Often the Help Menu/Update does not work for the update on this.

But, as they say, do not mess with a good thing. Proceed as indicated.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
                nolongerapplicable

Hi There,

I'm having a similar issue, having not used Premiere Elements 9 for a few months, which I'm only discovering now.

My issue seems to be only with the "Instant Movie" option.

When i select "Create/Instant Movie" The PE window opens and loads to a grey screen only.

I installed the 9.01 Update - Same.

I deleted the Prefs file - Same.

I deleted the whole 9.0 folder - Same

So i decided to do a full uninstall/reinstall and the same issue occurred. Again i tried the update, deleting the prefs file and the 9.0 file and I'm still in the same situation.

BTW i have also tried setting compatibility mode to (XP Service pack 2 and 3, Vista SP 1 and 2 and Win7)

Do you have any ideas on what might be causing this?

I'm running Windows 7 and currently running the Premiere Elements 9.01 update.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

IMAG6112_BURST003-1.jpg

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nolongerapplicable

Thanks for describing your issue so completely and going through the troubleshooting steps.

With Instant Movie there is always the computer resource level consideration since Instant Movie tends to be one of the more

computer resource demanding of the features. How much content do you have on the Timeline when you go to the active Organize Tab and click on Instant Movie choice in the row below - more than 15 minutes?

The maximum duration of an Instant Movie appears to be 15 minutes for 9.0/9.0.1 as well as later versions of the program.

What video formats and how many photos/photo pixel dimensions are you including in your Timeline? What have you set for the project preset in the New Project dialog when you create a new project?

Did the Instant Movie feature work for you in the past?

Let us start here and then decide in which troubleshooting to go.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
                    nolongerapplicable Level 1

Hi AT Romano,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I wouldn't say i had a lot of content in the in the Organize Tab - May be 20 or so files, with a mixture of Video and .Jpeg.

I have just deleted everything from previous projects, keeping only 6 files for the current project i am trying to start. There are four .jpeg files and two ,mP4 files lasting no more than 2 minutes combined.

I attempted to start a project with only the 6 files, but the same blank grey screen appears.

To answer your other question, yes the instant movie feature has worked in the past.

Thanks again.

organizer 2.jpg

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nolongerapplicable

Thanks for the additional information. Appreciated.

You have ruled out a lot of factors so far.

What happens if you use a Timeline with just jpeg photos. Same result?

It looks like you are using Elements Organizer and the Create/Instant Movie in that area.

Focus 1....

With that focus, let us delete the Elements Organizer settings file named psa.prf.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder should be the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming to psa.prfOLD.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can

see the complete both cited.

Focus 2....

In Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Editor workspace, you import your files into the project via Get Media/Files and Folder and create

your instant movie using that work area's Edit Header/Instant Movie.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working

Hello ATR,

Thanks again for your response, much appreciated.

To answer your question, if i just use .Jpeg for Instant Movie, the results are the same. I am however able to use, slideshow and other options with .jpeg, It's just Instant Movie that loads to a blank grey screen.

For Focus 1, here is what i did:

I removed the psa.prf file as suggested and tried again. Same result.

I then deleted all 6 files from the organizer and added them to the organizer again, with the same result for Instant Movie (blank screen).

For Focus 2, I'm not sure what you mean by "Editor Workspace"?

I did however try Organizer/File/GetPhotosAndVideos/FromFilesandFolder.    I added two new videos of different types, a .MOV and a .3gp.   Both had the same result when loading Instant Movie from the Organizer page.

If there is another way to load/start Instant Movie, please advise because I'm not sure how to

Thanks for your help.

MT

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

MT

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I had in mind for for the Editor workspace

a. Open Premiere Elements to its Video Editor Timeline workspace (do not open the Elements Organizer).

b. Use Get Media/Files and Folders to bring some jpeg photos to the project's Timeline.

c. Then with the Edit header selected, click on the Instant Movie tab in the row below those headers.

And, try to create an Instant Movie.

Does it work going this route?

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Stopped Working

Thanks ATR

I think I'm doing this correctly, only all options are greyed out?  (See pic)

MT

Org3.jpg