13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 7:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?

lilthea

Hi, I have Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and I would like to remove the thumbnail offsets on the scene menu.  Is it possible?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Either in the Edit area or in the Disc Menu section, you should be able to double click the menu marker to bring up its dialog where you can take

the Offset back to 00;00;00;00.

Have you tried that already? If yes and it has not work, then please more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
            lilthea Level 1

Thank you for answering.  There are 16 scenes, each with a splash screen with the title of the act and then the act.  All of the menu markers are at 00:00:00:00 and the markers are on the splash screen.  I want to make a menu that only has the title of each act and not have the thumbnail offsets.

I have attached a screenshot of the menus.  If I can remove the thumbnail offsets, I will use a different template with 6 scenes on each page.

Thanks.

screenshot.jpg

• 3. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the reply with the screenshot. I thought that you were referring to the menu marker feature where in the menu marker

dialog you can adjust what is shown in the scene button thumbnail without moving the actual Timeline menu marker to which it traces back.

There are two types of menu buttons - scene button with image and text and scene button with just text. From what you wrote that goes to the core of your question. The menu that you show in your screenshot has the scene button with image and text button, that is, thumbnail with scene with text underneath the thumbnail. You cannot remove that type of thumbnail unless you go into the theme psd files and edit the .psd files with a program such as Photoshop CS and

higher or, under certain occasions, with Photoshop Elements Editor.

The following is one of my works where I took a menu with scene button with image and text and converted that into a menu with scene button with just text.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: One Page 14 Scene Buttons DVD Menu

I do not know if you want to go to that extent. If you did want to get into customization of an existing menu at the theme's .psd level, I would use Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 disc menu theme General/Generic One. That is a great source for this type of customization. Unfortunately it was discontinued in late versions. So, you are lucky to have it in version 8.0/8.0.1.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further. All sorts of possibilities, but you do have to go beyond the typical use of the program.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                lilthea Level 1

I took a quick look at what you did with the Family Memories menus and I am intrigued.  I will investigate further and see if I can adapt what you did to one of the other templates.  I will let you know how it goes in a few days.

Thank you for your help.  Happy New Year!

• 5. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the reply.

Customizing disc menu themes at the .psd level can look overwhelming, and it does require a lot of attention to detail. Some thing as small as

a misspelling in one of the file names can block you from success. But, it get easier, and the rewards are great in that you can create menu themes

specific for an occasion.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have questions as your work through the details cited in the link provided.

If you want, I can give you some guidelines for converting scene buttons to text buttons for the specific menu that you have in mind.

But, as I mentioned, that Generic One is an excellent choice to take apart and put together again with what you want in it.

Wishing you all the best in the New Year and always

ATR

• 6. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                    lilthea Level 1

Hi again,

I took your suggestion and worked with Generic One.  I am including the screenshots so that I can ask a couple of questions.

newmenubuttons.jpg

newmenu.jpg

In the screenshot of the video, although I only altered the main menu .psd, the scene menu .psd looks the same as the main menu when I bring it up.  If I go to the folder and look at the scene menu .psd, it looks unchanged from the original.  You can't see the whole name for the text buttons but I used (en_US(-)) scene one  (one through sixteen) and (en_US(=1)) highlight as you described in your paper.

The menu does not have the scenes on it.  I have 16 menu markers that should correspond to the menu on the right, but it doesn't.  there may be a typo that I haven't found yet.  Once it works, I will swap out the scene title pages for ones that match the menu page.

The file newgeneric1 contains the two files, newgeneric1_pal_s_mm.psd, which was the one I altered, and newgeneric1_pal_s_ms.psd.  The file newgeneric1 is in the file My Special Themes, which is in Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\DVD Templates\Common.

I believe that I followed the directions you gave but I may have made an error.   Do you see any obvious errors?  If not, would you recommend that I look at all my work to be sure there aren't any typos?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

• 7. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Before going step by step through the workflow, let us target some aspects of what you wrote (it might be the answer)

The file newgeneric1 contains the two files, newgeneric1_pal_s_mm.psd, which was the one I altered, and newgeneric1_pal_s_ms.psd.  The file newgeneric1 is in the file My Special Themes, which is in Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\DVD Templates\Common.

You are going to have a folder (not file) named newgeneric1 according to your plan. And, that folder is going to contain two files:

for the main menu - newgeneric1_pal_s_mm.psd and newgeneric1_pal_s_sm.psd (not ...._s_ms.psd).

When you place the Timeline markers, you are going to place main menu markers, not scene markers.

In the disc menu customization area of 8, you will see two thumbnails displayed for the newgeneric1 that you have successfully place on hard drive - one will have caption main menu and the other scene menu. But when you drag that choice into the disc menu screen, only the main menu will present because you have used only Timeline main menu markers. If any Timeline scene markers get into the mix of Timeline main menu markers, then the scene menu will present as well as the main menu.

For the placement of the edited file check out - Program Files (X86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\DVD Templates\Common\My Special Themes\

The newgeneric Folder goes in the My Special Themes Folder.

Also, at the beginning, after you have copied the original files to work on, often you need to remove the Read Only from the Properties of the original file so that you can save your edited .psd.

Please review and then we can decide if you have caught the spot that needs attention or whether we need to troubleshoot some further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                        lilthea Level 1

I am going to go through your list in order (very thorough list, btw, thanks)

1. My terminology is sloppy.  Yes, newgeneric1 is a folder, not a file.

2. I did make a typo on the second of the two menu files and I have fixed it to be newgeneric1_pal_s_sm.psd

3. I was unaware that there is a difference between scene and menu markers.  To make a marker, I right click on the part of the video that I want to appear on the menu and be able to navigate to it through the menu.  It says Set Menu Marker, which is what I have been doing.  I don't know how to set a scene marker.

4. I did notice that, while there are two thumbnails, only one appears in the disc menu screen.  I decided to use your suggestion of Generic One because I saw I could put all 16 of the scenes on one menu page.  That seemed less complicated than having 2 pages.

5. I had the placement of files in folder in the correct folder, I just had the incorrect terminology.

6. And, yes, I did need to remove Read Only from the original files.

So, I corrected my typo and the scenes didn't appear on the menu.  Am I making the markers correctly?  (Reference, #3)

It is also possible that I might have made other typos.  I will check my work carefully if you don't see any obvious problems.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

• 9. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the reply.

Best place the menu markers when you are in the Edit area before you get to the disc menu customization area.

Place the Timeline Indicator at the spot where you want the menu marker. In this situation, our interest is in main menu marker

because of the main and scene menu switching.

To place a main menu marker on the Timeline...in each instance, move the Timeline Indicator to where you want the main menu marker..

then go to the far right of the workspace to the Marker tab/Menu Marker/Set Menu Marker to see the following

MainMenuMarker.jpg

At Marker Type in the Menu Marker dialog, click on the tiny triangle at the end of the field showing "Scene Marker"

in order to get the drop down list. Select main Menu Marker.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thank you for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                            lilthea Level 1

Bingo!  That did it!  I had all the markers in place and as I went from marker to marker and changed them from scene marker to main menu marker using the drop down menu, each scene showed up on the menu. 

Your instructions were so thorough in the troubleshooting blog that I am going to use them from now on.  I really like being able to design my own menus.  I am a bit of a control freak and I prefer using my own ideas rather than using package templates.  The best part is that, when I remove the thumbnail offsets, I can use the whole title of a song and not have to truncate it.

final menu.jpg

Thank you so much for all your help.

Now, another question for you.  My son has given me his old Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.  I took a look at it and it is probably way more than I need, but I want to play with it.  Can you recommend some tutorials?

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

That is one great main menu...very inviting to the viewer. Great job.

As a starter, please check out the AdobeTV video tutorials for Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Learn Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 | Adobe TV

I envy your viewer the great disc menus that will be accompanying your burn to products.

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                                lilthea Level 1

Hi ATR,

Just wanted to tell you I made a multiple page menu using your excellent instructions and it worked beautifully.

Many thanks for all your help.

L

• 13. Re: Can you remove thumbnail offset on scene menu?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

L

Thank you so much for the update.

I thank you for your comments since communication is so important to what I do in my troubleshooting. I want to make sure I go in the right direction in describing what has worked for me.

There has been a problem with Glass Flowers disc menu highlights not appearing in the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc at playback in the DVD player. I have found an answer to the issue by replacing the orginal highlight layers in the Layers Palette of the .psd file for the main menu and .psd file for the scene menu (editing was done with Photoshop). If you need to know how to do that, I will be posting that information in the blog soon. Lots of details,but a can do task.

I am very proud of your accomplishments.

Best wishes

ATR