2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2006 8:50 PM by Newsgroup_User

assigning a mask via Lingo

Level 7
      Hi,

I know you can use a mask image if you put the image in the cast slot
      after the image you want to mask and then choose a mask ink. But, what
      if you wnat to use the same mask image for multiple casts and you don't
      want to duplicate them, can you use Lingo to set masks.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: assigning a mask via Lingo
          Level 7
          You assign a fixed mask by setting the alpha channel of a 32 bit bitmap
          member, you also have to check the 'user alpha channel' member propery.

The setAlpha lingo command only succeeds when the alpha inage is the
          exact same dimensions as the bitmap member being assigned the mask. A
          copypixels operation could be usd to scalr or crop the alpha to match
          the destination image.
          • 2. Re: assigning a mask via Lingo
            Level 7

JB wrote:

> You assign a fixed mask by setting the alpha channel of a 32 bit bitmap
            > member, you also have to check the 'user alpha channel' member propery.
            >
            > The setAlpha lingo command only succeeds when the alpha inage is the
            > exact same dimensions as the bitmap member being assigned the mask. A
            > copypixels operation could be usd to scalr or crop the alpha to match
            > the destination image.

Thanks for your reply. So, sounds like you can't have a simple mask via
            Lingo in the same way as the mask ink effect. Would be great if the mask
            cast member could be set in the Propery Inspector rather than it being
            fixed the way it is.

Your suggestion would not be useful for me as all my images to be masked
            are 16 bit. If I have to double it to 32 bit just so I can apply a mask
            manually via Lingo, then it defeats the idea I had of keeping files low by
            not duplicating mask images. If I have a 16 bit image and 4 bit (or even 8
            bit) mask, the total size is still much smaller than going up to 32 bit.