8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 1:29 PM by Syrax12

Oil Paint filter not working properly

Syrax12 Level 1

When I run it, it just turns the image a dark, almost black, grey. If I change the settings, it functions properly, but several actions I have that use it all fail and give me the dark grey. I'm using Photoshop CC 64bit.

• 1. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
          Level 5
          • Macintosh or Windows? 
          • Exact version of the OS and of Photoshop CC 64 bit?
          • What type of image? 
          • What bit depth and what color space?
          • Can you show your action with all steps visible?

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

a screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
            Syrax12 Level 1

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Photoshop CC 14.2.1

Image type is an 8bit RGB JPG

Where the action fails is on the Oil Paint step, exact action step below:

Oil Paint Plugin

Filter Name: ""

With Accelerate On the GPU

Path To File: ""

Parameter Name: "Stylization"

Parameter Type: 0

Parameter Value (float): 1.05

• 3. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
              Level 5

Now I'm confused.  The Oil Paint filter was removed from Photoshop CC2014; sorry I didn't catch that earlier.

Did you copy it from an older release, Photoshop CC or earlier?

• 4. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
                Syrax12 Level 1

I'm running in Photoshop CC (14.2.1). Photoshop CC 2014 is version 2014.2.2, which won't run the Oil Paint plugin at all.

• 5. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
                  Level 5

Adobe don't cease to create confusing nomenclatures for software versions, do they?

Sorry for my confusion.  My bad.

• 6. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
                    Syrax12 Level 1

Adobe?! Do something that makes no sense?! 

• 7. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
                      Level 5

You're not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  Bummer.

• 8. Re: Oil Paint filter not working properly
                        Syrax12 Level 1

UPDATE

If I go to Filter>Oil Paint, when it opens, my image is black. The only thing that makes the image appear as expected is changing the Scale, which the default is 0.1. But if you open the Oil Paint filter up again, it's back to a scale of 0.1 and black.

UPDATE 2

OK, this is strange. If I open Photoshop and then open a file and don't make any edits, and go to Filter>Oil Paint, it works that first time, but any time after that first time, it doesn't, and if I try the same thing with opening Photoshop fresh and run an action that uses Oil Paint, it doesn't work. Did Adobe do something in a recent update that killed Oil Paint in Photoshop CC?