7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 6:21 AM by Video@SouthpointCCC

How do I remove missing transitions?

Video@SouthpointCCC Level 1

I have used this project file throughout the years, and I added some third party crud to it sometime in the last year.

In the ever-moving Creative Cloud, I suppose I should know better to have installed anything 3rd party.  Because they're gone, and I don't think I miss them.

The problem is whenever I start my project I get this little error message.  "Video Transition Missing: Impact Flash", etc.  I feel like they're saying: "We're not telling you where you have a problem, but it's somewhere in here."  I have upwards of 52 different timelines.  I don't have time to look at every one looking for a transition.

transition.png

It's a slight annoyance, but how do I find where (in the timelines) that these transitions exist?  Or just remove them from the project file?  I know the simple solution would be to remove old timelines, but I'm an organized hoarder.  Leave me alone.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no search function for this. You will have to locate them manually and delete.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?
            shooternz Level 6

As an organised hoarder, you will have an old export that uses these transitions.

Locate them in that  and then  chase them down in the timeline (by ganging Source and Program Monitors) to delete them ( manually)

• 3. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?

I have tried everything.  I didn't want to watch 40+ exported videos (especially as not remembering/knowing what these 3rd party transitions do and look like), so I started searching (via Explorer) for anything matching Impact Flash or Impact Roll.

Nothing.  So I started combing through each (64 of them) timelines.  I found one aggressor.  I was so surprised, I saved and closed.  Boom -- one down and only one error message to go.  I tried to cross-reference the date with anything, including a Google search that showed me that FilmImpact.net is the stupid thing that has caused me to pull my hair out, but alas:  after three more scans and two hours, I am sad to say I still can't find where the other one is.

I have contacted FilmImpact's support, but I believe the only solution is not a solution at all: re-install and keep updated the demo Transition Pack 1 to muddle up my effects folder.  Either that, or deal with the error.  Or just bite the bullet and start deleting some of these archived Sequences.

But should I really have to choose any of these evils?  I feel like the dev's should have a better workflow for idiots like myself who install third-party content [that is now missing].

Se la vie.

• 4. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?

Thank you, Ann.  I don't know if it will make any difference, (as I don't know how big third-party transitions are in the CC market) but I submitted a Feature Request that would help track these down.

• 5. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?
                  shooternz Level 6

Export an EDL an see if it shows you all or any "transition" points in the sequence

Use the timecode to locate it.  Hint - it/they  will be between two clips.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?

This will take me a few more hours, as I can't export EDL's for more than one sequence at a time.  This might work, but this is going to be a bit tedious.

• 7. Re: How do I remove missing transitions?

I'm saddened that this has been marked answered.  It isn't solved.

The EDL export method is clunky, at best, but there are three problems with EDL exports (as a method to find this thing):

1. As noted a little while ago, you can only export one EDL at a time.

In my case I exported 44 EDL files.

2. EDL's allow for only one set of VIDEO tracks.  So, if you're layering more than one asset in a video track, you have to export them.

In my case, I exported 44 EDL files four times.

3. Transitions have inconsistent identities in EDL's.  W000 009 might be the transition I'm looking for because Premiere doesn't consistently ask for the EFFECTS NAME.

In my case, none of the EDL files contained the word "Flash" - so after I had searched (via Ctrl+F in every Notepad rendition of these .edl files) for an hour and half, I realized that I shouldn't be searching for the word "Flash", but a variation of "W000 ###"

Again, this is a typical problem of archiving hoarders.  The easiest thing would be to just ignore this or delete my archive.

But I don't feel like that's a solution, ya' know?