4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 8:03 AM by JimHess

Lightroom 5 updates

confusednl

Will old program files for Lightroom 5 be automatically deleted off your hard drive when you download updates?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 updates
          johnhawk666 Level 3

No , they should be untouched as they are part of your computer and have nothing to do with the installer.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 updates
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It depends on which operating system you're using. On a Windows computer, installing a Lightroom update will replace the previous one. On the Mac it is necessary to manually delete older versions. This is true of updates. An upgrade (like from Lightroom 4 to Lightroom 5) will install in addition to the previous version, even on Windows.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 updates
              confusednl Level 1

How does an update differ from an upgrade.?  It looks like I have two fairly large lightroom files on my hard drive. 

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 updates
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as what is installed, there is no difference. An update is a dot release (5.1, 5.2, 5.3, etc.) and all of these releases are available to those who purchase Lightroom 5. An upgrade is when a new major release (i.e. 6.0) is released. There are new features in these major releases as well as support for additional cameras. Major releases must be purchased even by existing Lightroom users. Those who have previous versions receive a substantial discount. Every release of Lightroom is a complete program installation. There is no updating of existing software or DLL files. If you have two large folders on your hard drive I would guess that you are using a Mac and have two versions installed. It is your decision whether or not to remove one of those.