9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 12:23 PM by A.T. Romano

I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.

BobCinReno

The last time I opened PE12, I clicked on open Editor and it did not open.  I set the Editor to open with the opening of Premiere Elements, and now I cannot open any part of PE12.

Should I uninstall the re-install PE 12 (I have the CD version) or is there a better remedy?

Thanks,

BobCinReno

exec_advisory@msn.com

• 1. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BobCinReno

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

This may come to an uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled, but let us consider

1. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

2. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

3. Have you tried to open Premiere Elements 12 direct from the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file?

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file that you double click in

an attempt to open to the Editor workspaces, bypassing the Welcome Screen. (You might even included a right click

of the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and application of Run As Administrator before the double click to open it.)

4. Please see if any of the information in the following links works for you

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-sign-in-failure-connect-to.html

Please review and consider and then we will decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

BobCinReno

Thank you for the reply. But for some reason there was no message in the reply.

When you get a chance, please try again.

We are looking forward to get you moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Happy New Year as we approach the new year.

ATR

• 4. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
              BobCinReno Level 1

I replied by entering responses in red to the text in your message.  If you received it in plain text it may be in the same color as your questions.  Therefore, I have pasted my response here and increased the font size to differentiate it to the text in your message:

BobCinReno

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?  Windows 7 Pro

This may come to an uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled, but let us consider

1. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Yes

2. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse? No – I use a mouse.

3. Have you tried to open Premiere Elements 12 direct from the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file?

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Yes

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file that you double click in

an attempt to open to the Editor workspaces, bypassing the Welcome Screen. (You might even included a right click

of the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and application of Run As Administrator before the double click to open it.) I left clicked the “Adobe Premiere Elements” whereas I previously clicked the “Adobe Premiere Elements 12” file (I am logged on as Administrator).  I received the following message: “We have detected an incompatible display driver.  To get better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver.”  I am running a dual display configuration on my Sony Vaio Model PCG 6121iL Notebook computer. The second monitor is a Sharp flat screen with a Microsoft driver dated 2006.  I did an on-line search for a newer driver and was informed that there is no newer one.  I restarted with the second monitor disconnected, and again ran the same PE program.  I got the same incompatible driver message.  The driver is for ATI Radeon Premium Graphics that is Sony installed in the laptop.  I did the same search for a driver update and the response was that the one installed is the most appropriate. 

4. Please see if any of the information in the following links works for you

<http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html> http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html I opened this and did the “Way 2” procedure by renaming two SLCache folders SLCache Old.  I then tried to open the Adobe Premiere Elements application file and received a Configuration Error message.  The Error is identified as ERROR 16.  It also informed me to do a reinstall of Premiere Elements.  I then became concerned that my Photoshop Elements 12 program might be affected and it is.  It now gives me the same ERROR 16 message. 

What should I do with the two files I renamed from SLCache to SLCache Old?

<http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-sign-in-failure-connect-to.html> http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-sign-in-failure-connect-to.html

Please review and consider and then we will decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

BobCinReno

For now let us target the lead of the display card error in spite of the up to date video card/graphics card driver.

We are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file which can be found in Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in that Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. In that Premiere Elements Folder with BadDriver.txt file are probably going to be folder(s). You do not want anything in a folder there. You want the standalone BadDrivers.txt file.

BadDriverstxt.JPG

After you delete that file and close out of there and reopen the program/project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file but hopefully the problem will be gone.

Did the renaming of the SLStore and SLCache folders have any impact on the issue? If that idea did not help, in each case, you can delete the newly created folder and then remove the OLD from the file name that you gave the originals so that the system reverts back to it.

We will be watching for your results in the morning. We may have to dig deeper into the dual monitor system and drivers.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BobCinReno

Thank you for the reply, but for some reason there was no message in the reply.

Please try again when you have the time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
                    BobCinReno Level 1

THIS IS THE REPLY I EMEDDED IN YOUR E-MAIL:

BobCinReno

For now let us target the lead of the display card error in spite of the up to date video card/graphics card driver.

We are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file which can be found in Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in that Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. In that Premiere Elements Folder with BadDriver.txt file are probably going to be folder(s). You do not want anything in a folder there. You want the standalone BadDrivers.txt file. 

3 January 2015

After deleting the newly generated SL Store file, I renamed the original SL Store and SL Cache files by removing “Old”.  I can now open and use the Photoshop Elements 12 program.  I then followed your above instruction:

I found the BadDrivers.txt file which contains one entry:  “##FALSE###FALSE#0” and deleted the file.  I then attempted to open “Premiere Elements” which I understand is the Editor application.  I once again received the “detected incompatible driver” message.  The new BadDrivers.txt file contained the identical ##FALSE###FALSE#0” text.  I then disabled my second display monitor during a restart of the computer, then deleted the BadDrivers.txt file and reran Premiere Elements.  I again received the detected incompatible driver message.  So I have observed no progress in resolving this issue.  I await your next instruction. 

BobCinReno

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-7058828-711192/BadDriverstxt. JPG  <https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-7058828-711192/BadDriverstxt.JPG>

After you delete that file and close out of there and reopen the program/project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file but hopefully the problem will be gone.

Did the renaming of the SLStore and SLCache folders have any impact on the issue? If that idea did not help, in each case, you can delete the newly created folder and then remove the OLD from the file name that you gave the originals so that the system reverts back to it.

We will be watching for your results in the morning. We may have to dig deeper into the dual monitor system and drivers.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 9. Re: I cannot open Premiere Elements 12.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BobCinReno

Thanks for the reply.

Just in case mention...

When someone replies in your thread to your thread question, you will get a copy of the reply sent to your computer's email system if you have set your Adobe Forum preferences to received these alerts. The email notification is not a private message between you and the person who replied. The message is viewed by all in the public Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. Whatever you did for post 8, do (since that full message got posted). Whatever you did for post 6, don't (since the reply came through as a blank message).

Because of the nature of your error message, I am left to conclude that your Premiere Elements issue(s) goes to the video card/graphics card situation.

According to the Device Manager/Display Adapters area, how many cards does your computer use? The other half of the issue equation may be the dual monitor set up and the card support for the monitors.

1. You have looked at the situation with one of the monitors (Sharp) disabled, what about the other monitor (the one built into the Sony laptop?

2. Premiere Elements often has problems with a computer that uses more than 1 video card/graphics card (besides the ATI Radeon Premium Graphics). So, we need to evaluate that situation and its implications here. Just in case note...do the specifications of the ATI Radeon Premium Graphics support a dual monitor system?

3. Does your video card(s)/graphics card(s) have a Control Center where the settings can be customized to work with Premiere Elements?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR