3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 3:29 PM by Petros_

Why do my cell styles on a new table have overrides on them?

Petros_ Level 1

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to create a template for myself and colleagues to use in creating simple tables for text-based documents. I've created a table style with cell styles nested inside, and paragraph styles nested within the cell styles. When I create a new table using Table > Insert Table the stroke styles come through for the table itself, but the cell styles do not.  I have defined a custom paragraph style for the cells to use within the cell style, and then I've told the table to use that cell style on the heading rows. But when I create the table it uses the default paragraph style for those header rows, and if I click the cell style it shows that the cell has an override on it. Why? I've spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot this.

For reference, I find this problem within a new, blank document made from a .indt template I've created. Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Why do my cell styles on a new table have overrides on them?
          Petros_ Level 1

Okay, maybe I can clarify my question. If I want to modify the basic table style, is this a correct list of steps?:

1. Create two paragraph styles — one for the body rows and one for the header row.
          2. Create two cell styles — one for the body rows and one for the header row.
          3. Modify the the Basic Table style and set the Header Rows to use the Header paragraph style and the Body Rows to use the Body paragraph style.

Shouldn't that give me the ability to create a new table (Table > Insert Table) using these styles?

Peter

• 2. Re: Why do my cell styles on a new table have overrides on them?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Select the styles when nothing is selected and use the command Remove Overrides several times. Take care that none cell style is preselected.

• 3. Re: Why do my cell styles on a new table have overrides on them?
              Petros_ Level 1

That didn't work for me, but, for anyone reading this thread down the road, this did: I created a new document and loaded the various styles I cared about from the previous document — paragraph styles, object styles, etc. everything EXCEPT for the table and cell styles. Then I followed the steps I listed above and created new cell and table styles. The difference this time is that (1) I didn't modify the [Basic Table] style (per some advice from here), and (2) I made sure to get all the styles unselected everywhere (per advice from indesignsecrets.com). Then I resaved the template, and everything's working great.