11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 2:09 PM by A.T. Romano

how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13

GDBMB

how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13

• 1. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

There is no guarantee that a project created in an earlier version will open in a later one. The recommendation is typically to complete the project in the program where it was created.

If it going to happen, you right click a copy of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project file which can trace back to its source media, select Open With, and then Premiere Elements 13.

One potential for conflict is that .tga files are supported in 8.0/8.0.1 and not in 13. Another major consideration is "Where are the source media for the 8.0/8.0.1 project?". When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the original which are stored on the computer hard drive. But the project needs to trace back to the originals at the hard drive location where they were at import into the project.

Note that I said to use a copy of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project file....that is a safety net matter. Once a project file from an earlier version is opened and edited in a later version, you cannot go back and open that later version edited project file in the earlier one.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

Add On...It goes without saying that we are talking earlier version Premiere Elements Windows project files opening in later version Premiere Elements Windows program and not Windows project files opening in Mac program.

• 2. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
            GDBMB Level 1

I’M still having troubles.  Now the app is shutting down even if I open a project, edit it and save it with Elements 13 and re-open it later.  I need to speak with someone to get this resolved.  Very frustrated now.

• 3. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

This is not Adobe. This is a user to user forum. Adobe contact is typically via its Adobe Chat which often bounces the question back to "Ask the Community" which is here. The Adobe presence in this forum is undefined.

If you wish to continue here - supplying more details of what you are doing, we would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

I would ask the following questions of you at this stage...

1. Are you saying that, if you create a new project in Premiere Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13 shuts down on you? Or is that project from

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 still in the mix here? Please clarify.

2. If you are troubleshooting a new project created in Premiere Elements 13, then there a series of questions that will be asked of you wherever, so please consider them

a. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

b. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

c. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

d. What video card/graphics card does your computer use according to Device Manager/Display Adapter? Is the driver version up to date according

to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

e. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13?

Also

f. What are the properties of the source media that you are importing? Is the shutdown before or after you import the source media into the project?

If applicable, what is the size/duration of the project at the time of program shutdown and/or what are you doing in the project when the shut down occurs?

If you wish to continue here, please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next which might involve deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists or an uninstall/ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

ATR

• 4. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                GDBMB Level 1

ATR

First, thank you very much for your help. I had opened a Elements 8 project in the recovery folder using elements 13, performed edits, save it as a project with a new name.  I did several edits and saved it frequently during the process.  All done with Elements 13.  When I closed the project and returned later to do additional edits the application would fail when it tried to open the file and a windows pop up would display saying the app had failed and a message would be sent regarding the windows fail and another pop up was displayed giving me the option to close the program.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Home premium OFP.

I'm using a mouse and keyboard, and my account has admin privileges.  I'll reply later with video card info but the edits did not use any additional imported media than what was in the media originally imported using Elements 8.

I'm running Norton 360 and have not tried anything on that end and have not checked the Quick time version but will.

I did uninstall all older versions of Elements 8 and reinstalled Elements 13 to see if that would help. Same problem exists, even after a restart of the computer.

Sent from Doug's iPad

• 5. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

Thank you for the follow up details.

1. First factor to rule in or out is the possible involvement of the antivirus and firewall(s) as well as the QuickTime latest version in this issue.

2. Have you moved, deleted, or renamed any source media that went into the now Premiere Elements 13 project after you saved closed what is now

Premiere Elements 13 project? When you import source media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals which are at a hard drive save

location. But, the project must trace back to those originals where they where at the time of import. When we involve a 8 to 13 converted project in

the mix, we may have to scrutinize the path in all that.

Please review the Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects. (For the moment, we will class this project as a damaged project - open for further discovery.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Were you working with the AutoSave feature on so that you might try to use one of the more recent AutoSaves for the project.

But, right now, based on what you described (multiple edits save close of the 13 project), I am suspecting that the current issue is something in what you may have done in the last edits that you did in the project before that save close. Do you remember any special edits in that last save close that might have been different than the prior ones with the 13 project?

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                    GDBMB Level 1

Thanks for the replies. First, the project from 8 was created less than a week prior to my upgrade and no media files were moved or deleted so these files location were unchanged.  Yes I was working with an auto save file and some would open while others would not.  The auto save file was the file I edited and saved that later would cause a crash of the app.

There seemed to be nothing special done during the edits, just volume levels and aligning menu markers.  I have not disabled the firewall but did nothing to require any comms with anyplace not on the save computer.  I will try that anyhow.

The QuickTime viewer OFP was updated a month ago and the nvidia GeForce graphics board driver was up to date.

Is there a app log that might give me a clue into the cause of the shutdown?

Sent from Doug's iPad

• 7. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

Thanks for the reply.

You should be able to go to Computer/Manage/Event Viewer/Windows Log and its Applications to view errors or warnings or information.

Do you have any .tga files associated with the project - likely to come in with Titles from 8?

ATR

• 8. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                        GDBMB Level 1

Checked the error log and this is a common error that gets logged when elements crashes

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54065543

Faulting module name: DVDCreator.dll, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54064cfc

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000d2789

Faulting process id: 0xa18

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0276b5ec14251

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\DVDCreator.dll

Seeme like the DVD Creator dll is the issue

• 9. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

Thanks for the update and the additional important information.

I have not run into the DVDCreator.dll faulty module before, so for now I am mentioning some generic possibilities

until I can zero in on the file some more.

1. Can you find the DVDCreator.dll file in the location given?

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\DVDCreator.dll

If so, right click it, and select and apply Run As Administator.

2. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work,

then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show

Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

3. When the project can be opened, check to assure that all the Scratch Disks are directed to Premiere Elements 13 named

Folders and not Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 ones. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

I will think about this some more and will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                            GDBMB Level 1

ATR

The DVD Creator.dll file was in the proper location but I could not find a Run As Administrator Option.

I did delete Prefs file and try again to open the app then the project and received the same problem.  And the scratch disks were all directed to the Elements 13 path

Yesterday I did try additional solutions

Removed the Elements 13 App vis the Control Panel, copy the original downloaded .zip File to the Desktop and reload the entire application with no success solving the problem

In addition to that I contacted a site called Rescue.com? and the guy told me that he was a representative of Adobe, which I was not sure was the truth.  He looked at my system and told me that Premier 13 was not compatible with Windows 7.  I called BS on him told him that Adobe site said it was compatible and he told me I had a Trojan on my system and he would refund my money for Elements 13 and sell me version 12, which would be compatible, along with a better security system than the Norton 360 I told him I had.  At that point I immediately terminated our communications and called Norton to have additional checks performed to ensure no additions were added to my system.  They had me download and run Power Eraser from them and it found nothing wrong. 

I also temporarily turned off the firewall and tried to use the Elements 13 but had no success.

I also went to Microsoft Windows site and searched for the Exception code: 0xc0000005 that was displayed in the event viewer and they indicated there was a hotfix available and they would email me that fix.  ave not received the email yet.

I’m getting very frustrated but thank you for your help.  I will update you with and additional results or actions I get or perform.

GDBMB

• 11. Re: how do I open projects created using Premier Elements 8 with Premier Elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

GDBMB

Thanks for the updates. Upset by the experience you encountered online.

When you get to that .dll file, right click it, select Properties and the Security. Please review the permissions for all

the entries.That is what I should have written previously.

I am not sure if we are at last resort time...but, a typical last resort is to create a new User Account with Administrative

Privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements in it.

Mini recap time....

1. You installed the program to the default Local Disc C...no custom installs?

2. No pen and tablet devices?

3. No antivirus or firewall(s) interference found?

4. Gone to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, right clicked it, selected Run As Administrator, then double clicked to open

program?

5. Are all new projects for Premiere Elements 13 behaving the same?

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR