8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2015 10:12 PM by ssprengel

I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?

gavanha

The questions I posted were;

I'm trying LR on a one month trial. If I can get it to catalogue my pics, do I have to pay $10 month for the rest of my life to keep them catalogued or can I buy it outright?

I have imported some pics and struggled to organise them. Now some are milky and the computer tells me they are already imported and I can't do anything with them. How can I undo everything I've done and start all over again?

Thank you

• 1. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
          NicHamilton Level 3

This is a user to user to user forum.  Maybe everyone is still recovering from New Year's Eve.

Yes you can buy the standalone version.  Even if you buy the CC subscription version you'll still have access to the LR database after you stop paying the $10 you just won't be able to make any new additions or access the Develop functions.

To go back to the files as initially imported you need to bring up the History Panel in the Develop section.  Scroll down to the bottom and click on the line that says "Import/" followed by some other details including probably the date of import.

• 2. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, this is a user-to-user forum. 99% of the time your questions are answered by other users like yourself. And, after all, it is New Year's Day.

There are two ways to get Lightroom. You can purchase a standalone license for Lightroom 5. This will give you the use of Lightroom 5 and updates to Lightroom 5 perpetually. There is no monthly fee involved. When Lightroom 6 is released you will have to purchase an upgrade. The initial price of Lightroom from Adobe is $149. Historically, upgrades have sold for $79. The other way to get Lightroom is to subscribe to the creative cloud. Cost in the US is $9.99/month. This subscription will provide you with the latest version of Photoshop as well as Lightroom. All future updates as well as major upgrades will be included in that monthly fee. If you don't want to go the creative cloud subscription route and purchase a standalone license for Lightroom 5 you will receive any updates Adobe releases for that version. Currently the update release number is 5.7. I don't work for Adobe, so I don't have any inside information. But in my opinion Lightroom 5 is coming near the end of its life as far as Adobe is concerned. It is anticipated by many that Lightroom 6 will be released in the next few months.

Rather than try to answer your second question, I'm providing a link to a series of short videos that you should watch that may help you understand what is happening with your images. Feel free to come back and ask as many questions as you like and we will try to help you get started. Lightroom functions somewhat differently from other programs you may be familiar with. So taking time to do a little learning now could save some frustrations later on.

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 4. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
              John Blaustein Level 4

You might find this helpful:

Lightroom 5 - Free Quick Start Guide PDF eBook | The Lightroom Queen

Like most software, there is a learning curve with Lightroom.  The videos that Jim suggested are excellent place to start.

As for starting all over again, you can create a new catalog.

John

• 5. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NicHamilton wrote:

after you stop paying the $10 you just won't be able to make any new additions or access the Develop functions.

Not quite. You just won't be able to go into Develop or Map.

So someone can continue to use LR to manage and output photos, just not make new Develop-module adjustments (Quick Develop is OK) and not see them on the map.

John

• 6. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
                  gavanha Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realise I was sending the question to a bunch of guys who were LR users. I thought I was “talking” to someone at Adobe.

Last time I had a query I communicated with Adobe via something called ‘chat’ with an entity that claimed to be human but I suspect may have been a computer. Anyway, it resolved the problem I had at the time; lack of intelligence probably. If anyone knows how I can do that again, please let me know.

So, thanks again for the suggestions, some of which I actually understand. By the time I typed the question into the website I’d typed it 7 times already and I was becoming a little terse. In earlier drafts I pointed out that I was particularly stupid and I asked for any respondents to bear that in mind.

Your replies should really be couched in terms that can by understood by an aged pensioner rather than by kindergarten kid. I’m the former and the latter are way ahead of me.

So I’ll now try to reverse everything I’ve done and start over. My hand is shaking and my heart is full of trepidation, but here goes …

• 7. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
                    gavanha Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realise I was sending the question to a bunch of guys who were LR users. I thought I was “talking” to someone at Adobe.

Last time I had a query I communicated with Adobe via something called ‘chat’ with an entity that claimed to be human but I suspect may have been a computer. Anyway, it resolved the problem I had at the time; lack of intelligence probably. If anyone knows how I can do that again, please let me know.

So, thanks again for the suggestions, some of which I actually understand. By the time I typed the question into the website I’d typed it 7 times already and I was becoming a little terse. In earlier drafts I pointed out that I was particularly stupid and I asked for any respondents to bear that in mind.

Your replies should really be couched in terms that can by understood by an aged pensioner rather than by kindergarten kid. I’m the former and the latter are way ahead of me.

So I’ll now try to reverse everything I’ve done and start over. My hand is shaking and my heart is full of trepidation, but here goes …

• 8. Re: I'm a PC user. I posted 2 questions 2 hrs ago. Why no response?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you go through the questions on Adobe’s site starting with Help and Support or Contact Us or whatever you initially click on, the option for “Community” is these forums, and the options for “Chat” or “Phone” are serviced by Adobe personnel. 

The community forums (other users) are usually an option for whatever product and type of problem you have, but Chat and Phone are more restricted to particular products and particular problems and also availability of staff in India. 

Older products and How-do-I-use-this questions only have Community support.  Install and licensing issues for current software usually have Adobe support possibilities.  Creative Cloud usually gets the widest attention from Adobe because it is the money maker.

That said, many times people on the forums will know more than the Chat or Phone people, but only Adobe and those two options can help with many of the licensing or purchase issues because they alone have access to inside information about your account and licenses.