12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 1:14 PM by RjL190365

CUDA vs Open CL Mac

bryced87 Level 1

Is there a major difference between CUDA and Open CL for the Mac? I'm looking into buying one of the new Mac Pro's and the Graphics card listed on Adobe's site says that the one that goes with the new Mac Pro's is only Open CL.

• 1. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
          cc_merchant Level 4

For the moment ONLY nVidia GeForce cards are advised. CS6 does not support AMD cards and AMD is still considered the 'New kid on the block' as far as CC goes. AMD is still in its infancy, the drivers and Adobe support is still too new to effectively compete with nVidia's CUDA acceleration, which has been proven in the past years and have stable drivers from nVidia and stable support from Adobe. nVidia CUDA support is a mature technology with a proven track record. Add to that the recent price increases of AMD cards and they have effectively outpriced themselves in the competition with nVidia. Initial benchmark results with AMD cards show they are about two times slower than equally priced nVidia cards.

from Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

• 2. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Cuda still performs far better. However if you go the nMPro then AMD is it. So the choice is Mac and deal with the Open CL performance or PC and have Cuda right now.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
              prowl

Sorry that is very outdated.  Open CL is just as good in every task...

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro

Same for After effects.

The only thing that Open CL does not support is the embedded 3D raytracing - Which is itself out dated thanks to the Cinema 4D / Cineware link.

• 4. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                prowl Level 1

As above. Cuda and open CL perform equally as well. Open CL beats Cuda in Premiere Exports even on the some Nvida cards when set to use Open CL instead.

• 5. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac

No it doesn't and AE Ray tracer is Nvidia only. Also Octane which is the GPU accelerated rendered available for C4D and other applications is Nvidia Cuda only as well.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                    prowl Level 1

Re Retracer I had said that above.  And this is a premiere discussion anyway.  All my render tests out of have been roughly on Par on similar cards. Totally agree Cuda is more developed as a tool, but thankfully Devs are moving away to an open system.  

• 7. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac

And more than my testing shows AMD cards with Open CL still far behind Nvidia and Cuda. Devs are not moving away from Cuda. Cuda will always perform better than Open CL on NVidia cards. I have not seen once instance where it has not. They are just including Open CL now because that is the other half of the GPU market.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                        prowl Level 1

Well Like I've said I've seen 1-10% difference. Sometimes in open CL favour.  But mostly not. The point is the original posters wanted a mac... and given windows 8, who can blame him.  I'll take my inferior machine then* and actually spend my time creating stuff rather than I.T. Support.

• 9. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac

Windows 8.1 is just as stable and performs as good or better than Win 7. The interface just takes some getting use to but most can be made similar to Win 7. Either way Nvidia and Cuda right now is the best performing for most GPU acceleration applications and the most stable. Developers still have allot of development to get done to catch up with Open CL.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                            RjL190365 Level 4

On the other hand, for MPE GPU acceleration OpenCL is permanently disabled for NVidia GPUs in the Windows versions of Premiere Pro. This makes the only choices for NVidia GPUs CUDA or software-only (again, for Windows versions of Premiere Pro).

On the other hand, NVidia GPUs do perform slower than comparably-specced AMD GPUs in OpenCL mode, especially GeForce GPUs versus Radeon GPUs. No wonder why Adobe chose to disable OpenCL in PPro's MPE with an NVidia GPU installed as the primary GPU.

• 11. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RjL190365 wrote:

On the other hand, for MPE GPU acceleration OpenCL is permanently disabled for NVidia GPUs in the Windows versions of Premiere Pro. This makes the only choices for NVidia GPUs CUDA or software-only (again, for Windows versions of Premiere Pro)..

Randall,

That first statement about OpenCL being permanently disabled in Windows is not true.  I think that may only apply to CS6.  Here is my PPBM run with an R9-280X versus a GTX 770

"25","117","48","502", Premiere Version:, 8.0.1.21   R9-280X

"25","103","27","502", Premiere Version:, 8.0.1.21   GTX 770

Notice both the second and third numbers which are GPU accelerated exported timelines are better with CUDA over OpenCL

• 12. Re: CUDA vs Open CL Mac
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Sorry, Bill. I should have clarified this. In the Windows versions of Premiere Pro CC 2014, OpenCL is available only for AMD GPUs or certain Intel IGPs. OpenCL is not available for NVidia GPUs. That is what I should have stated.