23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 5:16 AM by Keith_Reeder

Raw files

chrismic88

i have a set of raw images and cannot see them in lightroom... Why.

@

• 1. Re: Raw files
          dj_paige Level 9

More details, please.

What camera? What version of Lightroom? What are you trying to do so that Lightroom will "see" them? Anything else relevant ...

• 2. Re: Raw files
            chrismic88 Level 1

Nikon d7100.. I took some 45 raw images and town loaded them onto my computer and I cannot see them normally.  I have to see them through view or light room.  How can I save them I  a named filed. 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

• 3. Re: Raw files
              dj_paige Level 9

You answered only one of my three questions

• 4. Re: Raw files
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Lightroom version?

• 5. Re: Raw files
                  chrismic88 Level 1

Light room 5

Sent from Samsung Mobile

• 6. Re: Raw files
                    chrismic88 Level 1

Apologies.. version 5. And light room cannot read the images 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

• 7. Re: Raw files
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you actually import them into Lightroom? Lightroom is not a file browser and new files don't automatically show up inside it even if you have added the folder they are in.

• 8. Re: Raw files
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

We're still looking for your OS and an exact description of the problem, but based on what you've written so far, some guesses.

You're on a Mac, right?

And the error message is "the following files were not imported because they could not be read" or similar?

If so - it's a write permissions issue with the destination. Fix that (via the operating system, not Lightroom) and you should be fine.

• 9. Re: Raw files

Also, be absolutely sure you do NOT EVER USE nikon's software to download files. Just use the Lightroom tools or use the tools built in to your operating system. Older versions corrupt the raw files.

• 10. Re: Raw files
                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Jao vdL wrote:

Also, be absolutely sure you do NOT EVER USE nikon's software to download files. Just use the Lightroom tools or use the tools built in to your operating system. Older versions corrupt the raw files.

Yep - if it's not what I suggest, it's this.

• 11. Re: Raw files
                              dj_paige Level 9

chrismic88 wrote:

Apologies.. version 5. And light room cannot read the images

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Hey chrismic88

At the risk of sounding unpleasant, let me point out that at this time, we don't need short answers. We don't need brevity. We need you to provide details, as at least three people have asked for. As in a full complete description of your problem and what you are doing. Spend a good few minutes describing your problem. You see, words like "see" and "read" don't really mean anything to us, they are not Lightroom commands or actions. You need to tell us the exact Lightroom command that you are using, not the word you would like to use, but the ACTUAL name of the ACTUAL command in Lightroom that you are using — and/or — the exact name and details of any steps commands or actions you are following outside of Lightroom. You need to tell us exactly what does happen when this command/action is used. And if you can't do that, then I doubt we can help you.

• 12. Re: Raw files
                                chrismic88 Level 1

Apologies to everyone but it is the first time I'm trying this out.

So no I'm not on Mac but using windows.

I did download my raw images from my new nikon d7100 from view nx 2 software supplied with the camera.

When I opened my downloaded file, all raw images could only open when using either the same view nx2 or the downloaded Lightroom version 5.

Chris Micallef

• 13. Re: Raw files
                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So the images open in LR?  What’s the issue?  Where are the images not opening that you expect them to?

• 14. Re: Raw files
                                    chrismic88 Level 1

That is the problem. They are not opening in Lightroom 5.. A message comes up stating - preview unavailable for this file..

All my raw images can be seen with my view nx2 programme supplied with my camera.

Chris Micallef

• 15. Re: Raw files
                                      chrismic88 Level 1

Found out something else.. When I hit the import button, a pop up, import results, comes up stating- the files are not recognised by the raw format support in Lightroom.

Confused!!

Chris Micallef

• 16. Re: Raw files

That sounds like indeed the raw file corruption by Nikon's software. Import again directly using Lightroom from your card reader and it should work. All versions of Lightroom support the D7100. If you already deleted the raw files from the card, there is a utility somewhere that reverts the damage done by Nikon's software.

• 17. Re: Raw files

Also, the more recent versions of Nikon's software don't have the issue anymore, but the version that came with the camera likely does. Better to be careful and completely avoid it.

• 18. Re: Raw files
                                            chrismic88 Level 1

How do I find that utility in Lightroom?

Chris Micallef

• 19. Re: Raw files

The utility to reverse the corruption from Nikon’s software is found, here:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

Try downloading the NEF files from your camera or memory card with the operating system, or LR, itself, rather than using the older Nikon software.

• 20. Re: Raw files

>Try downloading the NEF files from your camera or memory card with the operating system, or LR, itself, rather than using the older Nikon software.

Indeed. But if you have to use the software above to fix the damage, make sure you run it on backup files.

• 21. Re: Raw files

It is not a utility in LR, it is a program you download and install and then run in a folder that contains the NEF files that are corrupted.

• 22. Re: Raw files
                                                    chrismic88 Level 1

Problem solved guys.. Thanx a million..

Downloaded the file and created a fixed file..

Great great !!!!

Chris Micallef

• 23. Re: Raw files
                                                      chrismic88 Level 1

Thanks all for yesterday's help. Now I have a new problem. Well that's what's this forum is all about no?

Now that I got all my images on Lightroom and fixed some of them to my better liking, how do I save my photos (as images) on to my computer hard drive as I can only see my photos if I open either view nx2 or Lightroom.

Thanx.

Chris Micallef

• 24. Re: Raw files
                                                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

You Export them, Chris - the Export dialogue presents you with all of the save options, including location.

Ctrl-Shift-E in Windows, so maybe Cmd-Shift-E on a Mac?