5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 8:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Home movies

Sandtown Productions

What is the best length for old home movies being edited and copied to DVDs?

• 1. Re: Home movies
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That depends on the subject matter... video of a fast moving soccer game requires a higher bitrate to show well than a video of a professor talking in from of a class with very little movement

For sports, MY estimate is 1 hour, with up to 1.5 hour for "other" video... but, experiment to find out YOUR best length based on YOUR video

• 2. Re: Home movies
            A.T. Romano Level 7

sandtown

Typically 90 minutes duration is seen as the recommended duration for a Timeline content burned to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes - in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB).

In case needed for version specific further information, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system?

ATR

Add On...here I am assuming that you are referring to your Timeline content burned to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc and not you exporting a file which is saved to the computer hard drive and then burned to a DVD disc as a data disc....please confirm.

• 3. Re: Home movies
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sandtown

Just saw John's post after I posted mine.

So, I should point out "DVDs" could mean (in relation to Premiere Elements)

1. burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

or

1. burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc

The disc capacity of the standard DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 min aka 4.38 GB) or the disc capacity of the double layer single sided

DVD disc (8.5 GB/240 min aka 7.95 GB) is the same information. But, AVCHD video is going to limit what you can put on the standard DVD disc.

Which is your focus, one or the other or both? Gauge what is happening by looking at burn dialog's Quality Area Space Required and Bitrate values once you have your disc in the burner tray.

ATR

• 4. Re: Home movies
                Sandtown Productions Level 1

Thanks for your help.  Obviously, I am a novice to Premiere Elements 12.  The timeline extends for hours, but I realize that a standard DVD is limited in the amount of content that it will hold.  I am converting very old VHS (1980's & 90's) to DVD.  Your response helps and gives me a range to work toward.  I'll try about an hour of edited material and see how that goes!  Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Home movies
                  Sandtown Productions Level 1

Thanks, ATR!  I am using Premiere Elements 12 on a Windows 7 operating system.  I was referring to timeline content burned to DVD-Video format on a DVD disc, though I had considered saving to the computer, then burning to a DVD data disc.  Will it make a difference?  I was going to stay away from the AVCHD video since the quality of the original VHS is poor, but I hope to share them with family once converted.

Thankful for your help!  This has certainly been a learning process. 

• 6. Re: Home movies
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandtown Productions

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

If your source has VHS origins 4:3, I would probably take the digitized file into a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 NTSC DV Standard 4:3 project, edit, add menus if wanted, and go for the burn to DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc with preset NTSC_Dolby DVD which is 4:3.

Keep watch on  the Quality area of the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space. If you see that Bitrate dropping below 8.00 Mbps (the max), then you are approaching too much on that disc.

If you need an export to file I would probably look at the AVCHD.mp4 at SD settings. More details on that later.

We will be looking forward to learning of your progress when your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

If you have not done the 12 to 12.1 Update yet, please do so.  Not sure how much impact that will have on your burn to disc, but for sure it will take care of the known Expert workspace text style issue of 12.