10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 4:53 AM by dj_paige

Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?

markezu

I just installed an update to Lightroom 4.4 and it seems like the Nikon D810 is still not supported. Is this correct? I'm trying to shoot tethered.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The D810 was added in Lightroom 5.6, but tethered support was added in 5.7. You'll have to upgrade to have support for your camera.

• 2. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
            markezu Level 1

Okay, thanks for the info.

Don't you think Adobe could just add the camera support via updates to previous versions of Lightroom? I understand paying for all the new features but for them to stop camera support in 4 so quickly is absurd. Is it the same deal with Photoshop CS6? What about my Wacom tablet? It hasn't been working so well with OS X Yosemite. I guess Adobe wants me to upgrade to Creative Cloud? UGH

• 3. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
              Bob Somrak Level 5

this is the way all the raw converters are.  They do not go back to older versions an update the camera capability.  At least Adobe provides a FREE dng converter that allows you to use newer cameras with older software so they provide more backward compatibility than other vendors.  The best solution is to just upgrade to Lr5 to tether as the dng converter doesn't help.  You can also tether with the Nikon provided software.

• 4. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                areohbee Level 5

markezu wrote:

Don't you think Adobe could just add the camera support via updates to previous versions of Lightroom?

I am NOT an Adobe defender/fan-boy, but I fully support Adobe's policy to NOT maintain legacy versions of Lightroom software - somebody has to pay for that, and it ain't the people not upgrading who do..

If you really want to read newer raws using older software you can convert them to DNG (converter is free) - tethering support not included.. You can tether with older Lr software using non-Lr tethering software and auto-import in Lr, although I recommend upgrading instead (or also..).

How much was that D810? - how much is an Lr upgrade?

Rob

• 5. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Nothing here requires you to use Creative cloud. You can purchase Lightroom 5.7 without  subscribing to the Creative Cloud.

• 6. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is correct. Lightroom can still be purchased as a standalone product. But when you buy a standalone license you are guaranteeing yourself that eventually you will have a license for obsolete software that is no longer supported by Adobe. That's just the way the software business is. By subscribing to the creative cloud you are assured that you will always have the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom available to you. I realize that the creative cloud approach isn't for everyone. But for me personally I really like it. In the long run it costs a little more for the creative cloud. But you are contributing to the further improvement of both Photoshop and Lightroom, and you will be a benefactor of those improvements.

• 7. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                      markezu Level 1

When I decide to upgrade, the decision is based on new features of the software. It's terrible that software I bought just over a year ago isn't compatible with new cameras. The only thing that I want is for the LR to recognize the camera so I can tether it. I could drop a few more dollars in Lightroom 5 or spend a little more and get CamRanger or a host of other tethering solutions. As for Creative Cloud, it's great for Adobe but a  waste of money because there is no need to upgrade programs every time they release new features.

• 8. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The programming for new features (that you feel you might pay for) isn’t separable from the programming to keep up with new OSes and new cameras and bug fixes (that you feel you shouldn’t pay for), so no Adobe doesn’t continue development on older lines of software in parallel with the newer version just to give people free upgrades and have less reason to pay Adobe for their work.   They could, but then they’d have to charge more money for LR to recoup their costs. 

LR 4.4 came out 20 months ago, and I’d imagine LR 6 will be out at some point next year, since we’re already up to .7 in the 5 series and that’s as high as we’ve ever gotten, before, back with LR 2.7.

• 9. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Upgrade or move along that's your choice.

I suggest Lr6 will appear this year Steve rather than next....

• 10. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Still in 2014 in my mind.

• 11. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                              markezu Level 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll consider LR 5 because it's not a subscription system but will also consider other options for tethering such as CamRanger.

• 12. Re: Nikon D810 support for lightroom 4.4 ?
                                dj_paige Level 9

On the one hand, you state

I guess Adobe wants me to upgrade to Creative Cloud? UGH

On the other hand, you state

It's terrible that software I bought just over a year ago isn't compatible with new cameras. The only thing that I want is for the LR to recognize the camera so I can tether it.

If you purchase the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, your software is ALWAYS up-to-date with the latest version of the software. Adobe gives you the option to have the updates you want automatically and as soon as they are available, but you don't like that option either?