7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2007 5:16 AM by Newsgroup_User

w3d slow

newmfa Level 1
      hi,
      in my dirMX04 project, I using 78 w3d external files..in start of project these scenes be very slow, but after minutes, its speed become normal..is there solve?

newmfa
        • 1. Re: w3d slow
          Level 7
          If you start the shockwave app before all the external members have finished
          downloading, maybe its just the load on the CPU trying to downloading the
          files that is slowing the 3D performance. When the downloads are finished
          maybe the performance picks up maybe?

I'm sure someone else might have other ideas though.

Cheers

Richard Smith

• 2. Re: w3d slow
            newmfa Level 1
            how can preload all sources..?
            • 3. Re: w3d slow
              Level 7
              Hi newmfa,

You could transfer all the w3D members to an internal cast, but that would
              add greatly to the download time of course. Sounds like a trade off needs to
              be considered.

(That's assuming the problem is actually symultaniously downloading the
              external w3D members whilst a 3D sprite is playing). Maybe someone else can
              shed some light?

Cheers

Richard Smith

• 4. Re: w3d slow
                ziepe
                First of all you'll have to create an empty .w3d member (which is an internal member) and secondly load all external .w3d files into it. My way to do it is to create a simple linear list with the filenames of the external .w3d files and then load them one by one into the 'world'. Works fine for me, never experienced any problems with it. You must have some knowledge of lingo and 3d lingo in order to fix this. I'll help you on your way nevertheless.

Before you load anything, create a framscript using the previously mentioned linear list.
                Something like myW3Dlist=["file1.w3d" ,"file2.w2d", etc]

Secondly look up the 'state' property in lingo, you can check whether a member is loaded or not,
                depending on the result you decide to load the other(s).
                Load external files from the list by using "loadfile" also a well document lingo feature.

Hope this helps,
                Sven

• 5. Re: w3d slow
                  newmfa Level 1
                  hi Sven,
                  my movie will publish as .exe application not shockwave,
                  i tried make your way, but i failed.. i want to know how start loading w3d files.

newmfa
                  • 6. Re: w3d slow
                    ziepe Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: newmfa
                    hi Sven,
                    my movie will publish as .exe application not shockwave,
                    i tried make your way, but i failed.. i want to know how start loading w3d files.

newmfa

Please provide some more information... this is kinda blurry.
                    what did not work ?

Take a look at this, ideal place to start coding:
                    http://www.adobe.com/support/director/3d_lingo/streaming_3d/streaming_3d03.html

Sven
                    • 7. Re: w3d slow
                      Level 7
                      i can verify what Richard says - i had a game that used the Havok Xtra and
                      if i tried to play it while loading the rest of the file it slowed down too
                      much and the physics simulation went a little crazy - as soon as the whole
                      file was downloaded it ran perfect.