8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 1:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?

SLP adobe forum

I've just started using Premiere Elements and am trying to create a video from various party clips.  I've imported them onto the 'Quick' timeline and cut them and deleted the parts of each clip I don't want in my final video.  I then wanted to get premiere to make a Video Story from them, so I selected 'Create', picked the 'general' style and checked the tick box to use files from my timeline.  Unfortunately it only shows the long boring source files, not the clips I've edited them down to.  Am I missing something or is it not possible to just use the edited clips?  V frustrating if not!  If that's the case would I need to export and save every single clip edited clip then import them and start again?

Excuse me if this is a silly question - I'm very new to Premiere Elements!  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SLP adobe forum

It is very late where I am, and I am just seeing your thread.

Have you reviewed the Adobe document on Video Story? If not, please do so, and then let me know if it helped. If not, I will work through the details of your project later in the morning.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/video-story.html

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
            SLP adobe forum Level 1

Thank you for your response ATR! I have indeed gone through that section, and searched the forum and Google and haven't found anything to help (although I could have course missed something!). I was pondering as I was going to sleep last night (it's early where I am!) that a less specific way of asking a similar question would be asking if there was an easy way to save all the individual edited clips in a project in a format that they could be reimported/edited in a different project (or program). Thanks and good night.

• 3. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SLP adobe forum

Maybe some good news?

Good News? Talking trimmed and untrimmed clips....

1. Given you open your Premiere Elements 13 project and edit (trim) your source videos that you have dragged to the Timeline.

2. You want to use that trim that you have created on the Timeline in the Premiere Elements 13 Editor Expert workspace Create/Video Story.

3. Let us jump ahead to the part where you display the General choice. At the bottom left of that display, are you putting a check mark

next to "Use Media from the Timeline"? If so, the feature will use the Timeline's trimmed clip and not a copy of the original untrimmed.

VideoStory.JPG

There is yet another way to get trimmed segments of the video clip into the Video Story, but it is a less surer route. It depends on the AutoAnalyzer

splitting the whole video into scenes after the whole video has been added to Video Story. Right click the video thumbnail in Video Story, and select

"Split Into Multiple Clips". Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not - probably related to how well AutoAnalyzer can detect different scenes in the clip.

Other

This gets tricky. If you have a Timeline video or still and apply an effect to it (like Channel Mixer for one example) you do not get the effect shown in

Video Story. In this case, it would seem that the only possibility is to select Publish Story/Publish to Timeline and apply the effects to the clip in the Premiere Elements Editor workspace.

Also of note...if you take the same clip and drag it to the Timeline twice and add different effect to each, the Video Story prep sees only one clip without effects.

With regard to your question...

if there was an easy way to save all the individual edited clips in a project in a format that they could be reimported/edited in a different project (or program).

In the Premiere Elements 13 Editor Expert workspace (taking Video Story out of the equation)...

a. Move the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span the segment for export

and

b. When you get to your export choice in Publish+Share/Computer/....., make sure you have a check mark

next to Show Work Area Bar Only option in the export settings. I will post a screenshot if you need more details on that.

I have more exploring to do with Video Story beyond the Adobe document.

Please let me know if any of the above was what you were seeking.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
                SLP adobe forum Level 1

Wow, thanks for spending all that time looking at it. I will go through it in more detail when I get a mo but I know that when I selected general I did check the 'use timeline' box (I didn't to start with, then when I read about the box I was excited to try it as I thought it would fix the issue!). Unfortunately though, even when checked it still showed me the full length files. Do you think this is some kind of bug? It makes sense that the way you've described is how it should work (and it does work on edited clips if you select 'instant movie').

Thanks again, look forward to going through your thoughts tomorrow.

• 5. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SLP adobe forum

Thanks for the reply.

I am into an in depth look at Adobe's Video Story and finding some interesting dos and do nots and the rest of the story.

When you trim your video, where are you doing that - double clicking the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and then trimming it

in the Preview Window that opens (Set In and Set Out points) or are you cutting the video with the scissors tool after it is

dragged to the Timeline?

I will be working on Video Story throughout the day and hope to report my finding within the next 24 hours.

In the meanwhile, if you have not already, try trimming your videos in the Preview Window Set In Set Out points, dragging the trimmed

video from the Preview Window to the Timeline, and then using the Create/VIdeo Story/General, and see if the feature took in the trimmed or untrimmed version.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SLP adobe forum

Well, finally January 16, 2015, I have completed my look at Premiere Elements 13 Video Story and its source Media, with focus on the option "Use Media from my Timeline".

To answer your original question - a Timeline trimmed clip will show up as the trim instead of the whole video from which it was trimmed depending on how you trimmed

the video.

Here is an excerpt of my findings on that point taken from

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Video Story Media Considerations

1. Trimmed Clips

If video file is trimmed in its Preview Window which is opened by double clicking the file in Project Assets and that trim dragged to the Timeline, that Timeline trim will be used in the Video Story feature; whereas the trim will not be used in Video Story and the whole video version used instead when

• trimmed video clip is created by Preview Window which is opened by double clicking the file after it was placed on the Timeline
                    • trimmed video clip is created in the Timeline with the scissors tool in the stem of the Timeline Indicator
                    • trimmed video clip is created using the mouse cursor as a trim tool

In these cases where the whole video instead of a trim from it is taken into Video Story, there is an opportunity to split that whole clip into multiple clips, but it depends on the Auto-Analyzer finding  and splitting scenes in the video.

Right click the whole video in Video Story's "Get Media for your Story" workspace, and select "Split Into Multiple Clips". But, it does not always. And, if it does, the split clips do not contain a split clip that looks like the Timeline trim that was wanted transferred  from project's Timeline to Video Story.

Other will and will not transfer from Timeline to Video Story are included in the link above.

When your schedule permits, please update us on your progress with Premiere Elements 13's Video Story feature.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
                      SLP adobe forum Level 1

Thanks so much – I can’t believe someone I don’t know has gone to such lengths to help me!  I’m drowning in work (tax return time here in the UK!) but when that’s sorted I’ll have a look, thanks again.

• 8. Re: Using edited clips from timeline in Video Story - can you help?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SLP adobe forum

Thanks for the reply.

It was an interesting exploration of Video Story and the source media accepted or not accepted by the feature. The more I found the more I looked and learned. Glad you asked

the question.

Best wishes.

ATR