17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 1:11 PM by minimejdh

what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show

jeffuniquename

This was done flawlessly with aperture but Apple doesn't like non-apple products so I was not sure if there was an easy way to do this?

I want to choose pics from my various collections and see them on my tv using apple tv.  I would rather not COPY the pics to a new location since there are many many gigs of pics and they are all stored on my networked drive.  Anyone using a Mac and apple tv manage to figure out how to do this with Lightroom 5?

• 1. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
          jeffuniquename Level 1

Hmmm. so I guess people who use light room don't look at their photos on their tv screen.

• 2. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have had an Apple TV for several years. I used to be able to access my photos through it by activating iTunes on my computer. But for some reason I have lost that capability. I think iTunes is very unfriendly. But I am a Windows user. Modern TV sets will allow you to plug in a USB flash drive and will display images on that drive. I'm getting a little out of patience with my Apple TV.

• 3. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
              jimcamel Level 1

I, too, have found this a frustrating experience.  But what I finally decided was workable for me was something like this ....

Include the photos you want to show on the Apple TV in various LR collections.  Since this changes over time and things come and go, this isn't a bad technique and there are lots of ways to accomplish this via straightforward collections or smart collections, tags and so forth. 

Then for the collection, select it and Export it to an output-only folder with the dimensions optimized for the ATV ... not a bad thing to do anyway.  Yes, it duplicates the files - but at least they're optimized for your display (and easy to manage and delete when you tire of them).  The trick is to have the export kick open iPhoto so it imports the images in reference-mode (e.g. in this mode you do not have iPhoto again make a copy of the JPG in its Library - so at least there is only one level of duplication).  These will then become a distinct Album in iPhoto.

Then in iTunes you can click-select these to include in Apple TV.  In Apple TV you can then select these to be either SlideShows or screen savers.

Once in Apple TV you do get to make a choice from all the great transitions they have - which can look pretty cool on a 65" TV.

I haven't found any other satisfactory way to do this - they all seem to have issues.  For example, some third party tools only support dissolves and crossfades - which are kind of boring.  Some use too much bandwidth if run through the iPad so they are not smooth (e.g. LR mobile is a good iPad-only solution but since it requires a lot of wireless you can run out of bandwidth in your home to make it smooth if you try mirroring your iPad LR Mobile display onto the ATV).  I used PhotoMgrPro for a while - nice app - but boring transitions and it was cumbersome to transfer the JPG's.  So, all the alternative solutions are clumsy and limited.

At least with this system, if you tire of an album/folder, it's then easy to (a) delete the folder/album from iPhoto and (b) trash the folder of images from your hard drive (since its output only you don't need to keep them).

I don't use iPhoto for anything BUT this - all my photography work is done via LR/PS - so my iPhoto Library exists solely for this purpose.

if this process is at all of interest to you, just REPLY back and let me know you want details and I'll include some screenshots and specifics on how I do it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                areohbee Level 5

jeffuniquename wrote:

Hmmm. so I guess people who use light room don't look at their photos on their tv screen.

You guess wrong.

My (Sony Bravia) TV has a built-in DLNA client, and Windows has a built-in DLNA server, so all I do is export a tree which I make available to share, and that's it - very easy to do, and works perfectly (TV understands AdobeRGB icc-profile.. - color & tone are virtually identical to my computer).

Rob

• 5. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I use an approach similar to that of jimcamel, though somewhat simpler.

I keep a folder called Pictures/AppleTV. I then export the current batch of photos to a subfolder of Pictures/AppleTV, using an export preset that resizes to the resolution of the TV.  I've configured iTunes on my Mac to share its library with the Apple TV and to sync photos from Pictures/AppleTV.  The subfolders show up as collections on the AppleTV.

• 6. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show

Also, have you tried using Airplay from the Mac to the Apple TV?

• 7. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John R. Ellis wrote:

Also, have you tried using Airplay from the Mac to the Apple TV?

That.'s what I do - running the slideshow directly from the laptop.

Alternatively, I use Lightroom Mobile on the iPad and mirror it to the Apple TV.

• 8. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                        jeffuniquename Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions

Can't use airplay - my Mac is mid 2009 before you could just mirror anything on the laptop.

The export to a folder can be tried based on two of the people above - thank you.   Seems like a real pain because you have to delete and add pictures all the time (unless you just put them all in and double your disk space).  Seems like a lot of manual maintenance.  But I guess thats the only option.  I can try lightroom mobile but I heard the resolution is bad if you airplay it.  I this tru in your experience?  I have a 58 inch plasma 1040 tv.

As for the how to of  synch a folder of pictures to itunes I will reply to that person after this reply.

• 9. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                          jeffuniquename Level 1

Thank you.  I will re-read that reply as I try to implement.  What is an "output-only folder" and how do you specifically choose the dimensions optimized for the ATV?  I have a 58 inch plasma TV 1080 p if that helps.

• 10. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                            jimcamel Level 1

Hi Jeff,

By "Output Only Folder², I am suggesting a folder that you export to, via

LR, and then never re-import it Š it¹s just a place to dump the images and

since you can re-create them any time, you could delete it at will.

Here¹s the Export Dialogue I have setup from LR to iPhoto Š. The optimal

output dimensions are 1920 x 1080.  If you crop each image to that ratio,

which is the same as 16 :: 9, then the images will fill the screen.

Otherwise just let one of the dimensions max out and the other will fall

suit to 1920 or 1080 or lower as the case may be and it will map onto the

Plasma at 1 :: 1 so the Apple TV won¹t have to scrunch it again.

My  output dialog follows.  Note that it sets it up to go under

Users/Jim/Caches/iPhoto Cache and then I setup a sub-folder name right

underneath which I change (it¹s Merc in this example).  So, this becomes the

folder in iPhoto and I can move that into an album or not as I wish.  See

the iTunes screen shot a little further down.  The dimensions are setup to

1920 x 1080 at 100%.  The last section, under Post Processing, causes the

folder to get read by iPhoto as soon as the Export finishes running and,

voila, they are in iPhoto.  I can then clean iPhoto out when I wish.  Yes,

it¹s a duplicate but these JPEG¹s are smaller than the rawsŠ.maybe

300-400kb.

(side note the LR Mogrify section is a section you will NOT likely have

it¹s merely a plugin I have that allows me to put some borders around output

images, watermarks and so forth as the last step in the process strictly

optional but occasionally useful.  It¹s not expensive just google for it)

Then here¹s how it looks when it arrives a second or two later in iPhoto.

So, you can manage these into Albums, etc.  Then look to the bottom for the

iTunes interaction.

From the iTunes menu, select File | Home Sharing | Choose Photos to Share

with Apple TV

Then Š..

Note in the left panel, I have checked Last Import where this photo was

but you could move/arrange the photos into new Albums and then they would

show up and you could select them.  After you select then and Apply, turn on

your Apple TV and it may take a few minutes to sync up.  But then it¹s

done and you can choose Transitions and so forth on the ATV to nicely

display them.

Jim Camelford

datamanager, The GTCCC InterClub Competition 2014, 2010-2014

JimCamel@Rogers.com

• 11. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you! I had not been able to figure out how to do that. Just tried it, and have two folders available right now until I create some more.

• 12. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                                jimcamel Level 1

Jeff did you get the screen shots ?  I see they are missing from my post

on the web ?????

Jim Camelford

datamanager, The GTCCC InterClub Competition 2014, 2010-2014

JimCamel@Rogers.com

Contact via eMail is preferred since I get it quite promptly and reliably.

Please leave voice messages only on our Florida or Aurora numbers as we also

get an instant eMail advising us of your message.

Florida: (772)335-2199    Aurora: (905)503-2264     Cell: (416)605-3492

Cottage: (905)774-3371

past president, Richmond Hill Camera Club 2010

The information in this e-mail is intended solely for the addressee(s)

named, and is confidential.

Any other distribution, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please reply by e-mail to

the sender and

delete or destroy all copies of this message.

Sent from MAC Pro (Late 2013) using MS Office 365 Outlook

• 13. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show

jeffuniquename wrote: ...Seems like a real pain because you have to delete and add pictures all the time (unless you just put them all in and double your disk space). 

If you export at the resolution of your HD TV (e.g. 1080 x 1920), then the exported JPEGs will be pretty small, about 500K bytes (even at high quality).  So you're not really using that much extra disk space, considering that the raw originals are roughly 20 MB.

• 14. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                                    mozart31

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your LR to ATV tutorial.  Apparently the screen shots did not transfer.

Thanks,

J

• 15. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                                      jimcamel Level 1

I will try posting a different way to see if I can get the screen shots included.

jc

• 16. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                                        jimcamel Level 1

Ok - see if I can do it 'the hard way' ....

Hi Jeff,

By "Output Only Folder”, I am suggesting a folder that you export to, via LR, and then never re-import it … it’s just a place to dump the images and since you can re-create them any time, you could delete it at will.

Here’s the Export Dialogue I have setup from LR to iPhoto …. The optimal output dimensions are 1920 x 1080.  If you crop each image to that ratio, which is the same as 16 :: 9, then the images will fill the screen.  Otherwise just let one of the dimensions max out and the other will fall suit to 1920 or 1080 or lower as the case may be and it will map onto the Plasma at 1 :: 1 – so the Apple TV won’t have to scrunch it again.

My  output dialog follows.  Note that it sets it up to go under Users/Jim/Caches/iPhoto Cache and then I setup a sub-folder name right underneath which I change (it’s Merc in this example).  So, this becomes the folder in iPhoto – and I can move that into an album or not as I wish.  See the iTunes screen shot a little further down.  The dimensions are setup to 1920 x 1080 at 100%.  The last section, under Post Processing, causes the folder to get read by iPhoto as soon as the Export finishes running and, voila, they are in iPhoto.  I can then clean iPhoto out when I wish.  Yes, it’s a duplicate – but these JPEG’s are smaller than the raws….maybe 300-400kb.

(side note – the LR Mogrify section is a section you will NOT likely have – it’s merely a plugin I have that allows me to put some borders around output images, watermarks and so forth as the last step in the process – strictly optional but occasionally useful.  It’s not expensive – just google for it)

1.png

Then here’s how it looks when it arrives a second or two later in iPhoto.  So, you can manage these into Albums, etc.  Then look to the bottom for the iTunes interaction.

2.png

From the iTunes menu, select File | Home Sharing | Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV

3.png

Then …..

4.png

Note in the left panel, I have checked Last Import – where this photo was – but you could move/arrange the photos into new Albums and then they would show up and you could select them.  After you select then and Apply, turn on your Apple TV – and it may take a few minutes to sync up.  But then it’s done and you can choose Transitions and so forth on the ATV to nicely display them.

Jim Camelford

• 17. Re: what's the best way to display my lightroom pictures onto my TV via Apple TV? i..e make a slide show
                                          minimejdh Level 1

I am interested in the details. When Apple decided to not support Aperture I switched to LR.  I don't have an Apple TV- was waiting until came out with the new one just announced today to see if worth it.  I can use it for my videos made in iMovie; but not LR pictures.  So I am interested in your approach.  Also wonder if there is another server option- would a Roku work?  I also thought I can create a slide show in iMovie (requiring exporting pictures from Lr to another folder. Then iMovie slide show to iTunes- then AppleTV (if I got it).  A lot more difficult then just accessing Photos.

Thanks for your help.