6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 7:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.

Bama703

I am trying to import a DVD through PE13's video importer. DVD is of a public affairs program on which I appear, and I have permission to import it.

The frame ends up being zoomed in, losing the right one-third of the frame.

The DVD plays perfectly, no problem with zooming of the frame.

I imported the VOB files to my PC's hard drive and it plays perfectly, no problem with zooming of the frame.

Various things I've been trying all day today:

(1) change settings on project to many different varieties - didn't fix problem

(2) move files to hard drive, import from there - didn't fix problem

(3) move files to hard drive, burn new DVD, import from new DVD - didn't fix problem

(4) uninstall PE13, reinstall PE13 - didn't fix problem

(5) change the extension of the VOB files to MPG - wouldn't import

(6) change the extension of the VOB files to AVI - wouldn't import

Why does PE13 zoom the frame??

• 1. Re: Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bama703

What computer system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Before you insert your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, are you setting the project preset (manually) to agree with whatever

format is on the DVD disk?

The project preset is either going to be

NTSC DV Standard

NTSC DV Widescreen

PAL DV Standard

PAL DV Widescreen

How to set up the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project is described at the bottom of the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

After setting the project preset manually in the Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure

there is a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size. Also, right click the Edit area monitor, select Magnification, and

assure that "Fit" is selected.

Then insert your DVD in the DVD burner tray and go through the Video Importer process.

The key to most of this is to know what format you have on the disc and set your project settings accordingly.

Please review and consider and then we discuss the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.
            Bama703 Level 1

ATR, thank you for your prompt reply. I was busy with other work and was unable to get back to this until this evening.

Windows 7 Home Premium

I think I figured out what the problem is, though I still have no idea how to fix it.

I have gone through and followed your instructions on setting the project size, trying it as NTSC DV Standard and NTSC DV Widescreen, complete with the extra instructions on checking the various boxes. Thank you, as I was not aware of those additional checkboxes. It still is being cut off.

The frame size of the file from the DVD is 852 X 480. It has a PAR of 1.1851. There is no match in the project settings.

When the Video Importer pulls the file in, it sets it to 540 X 480. Hence the right side of the frame being cut off. I haven't figured out how to change the settings on it once it is imported into PE13.

I converted the file to .AVI and saved it on my Desktop. The properties of the .AVI file show it as 852 x 480.

The .AVI file plays on WMP, but when I import it into PE13, there is only audio, no video.

Here's what it looks like on YouTube: Get Connected - How Non-Custodial Parents Can Stay Engaged in Their Child's Education - YouTube.

You have been very kind to help me. I have no idea what to do except ask for another DVD to be burned and I will try again.

I'm all ears if you have any suggestions.

• 3. Re: Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bama703

I think that I have found a way to salvage what you have, but I am concerned about what you have. Please see details to follow.

If you were given a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc with its content in DVD-VIDEO format (whether standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9), the frame size would be expected to be in both cases 720 x 480 (for an NTSC setup). But, in the case of the standard widescreen there is an associated 16:9 flag for the player to stretch the 720 x 480 to about 852 x 480 for display after encoding.

Are you confirming that the files from the DVD that you have been trying to use have the file name that starts with VTS_01_1.VOB?

And, where are you getting the following information

The frame size of the file from the DVD is 852 X 480. It has a PAR of 1.1851.

When the Video Importer pulls the file in, it sets it to 540 X 480

Definitely get more information about the DVD disc from the person who is preparing the disc for you. But, in the meanwhile, let use explore the following....

1. Manually set the Premiere Elements 13 to NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97p

See bottom of the following link for instructions on setting the project preset manually

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

2. Import your video into the project as you have been, selecting only 1 VTS_01_1.VOB for now (if that is your video file).

3. Then export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive, AVCHD.mp4 (1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD.

4. Upload that export (AVCHD.mp4) to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Through the suggested workflow are you maintaining the aspect ratio and full view of your video presentation?

We will be watching for your results and for more information about your DVD that was given to you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.
                Bama703 Level 1

OK. After finding a workaround (see below), I believe that the problem really is the settings through which the DVD was created. I went back through previous DVDs I’ve been given and had no problem importing them into PE13.

However, I did want to share with you how I worked through this.

First answers to your questions:

Yes, I was given a DVD-RW. The video itself was shot in standard 4:3.

Yes, the DVD has VOB files on it. There are actually 5 separate VOB files, as it is an hour long show.

I got the information about frame size of the DVD VOB file (852 x 480) from right-clicking the file and looking at the properties.

I got the information about frame size of the file after the Video Importer pulled it in (540 x 480) from right-clicking the file within Elements Organizer after it was imported.

When I did what you suggested, changing the settings to the FLIP settings, it still did not import correctly. The frame was still cut off.

No, I do not believe the aspect ratio is correct, looking at other videos I have posted of this show/broadcast.

I did salvage it, though. Here’s my workaround.

At some point while working through all of this, I converted the VOB files to AVI files (with Freemake Video Converter, which I promptly uninstalled due to the presence of some unwanted tagalong software).

I imported the converted AVI file into DivX Converter (with the 15-day trial of MPEG-2 Converter) and converted that to an MP4 file.

I then imported the MP4 file into PE13.

I tried various project settings, but preferred the NTSC DV Widescreen project setting. Saved the finished file as an MPG.

Took down the other video from YouTube and am uploading the new one.

I truly appreciate your sincere efforts to help me through this. Again, I believe this problem is because of the settings through which this particular DVD was burned.

I have learned a lot through this process, and I appreciate your help. You are a great teacher. Very clear with your solutions. Thank you.

• 6. Re: Why does part of my frame get cut off when importing a DVD? It's like it's zoomed in, but I don't want it to be.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bama703

Thanks for the follow ups with the details.

Great news that you were able to create and use a workaround for the issue. Great job.

Best wishes as you move forward in your projects. But, if you have the time and it is at all possible,

we would like to learn more about how that DVD content was put together to give you what appears

to be the characteristic DVD-VIDEO structure files but with unexpected properties.

ATR

I