3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2015 9:52 PM by Geoff the kiwi

LR5 freezing up due to OS X Yosemite vs OS X Server?

stevendrakephoto

After owning a new late-2013 Macbook Pro for just 2 months, LR 5 recently started freezing up, requiring a reboot. Problem has been persisting so I reinstalled Lightoom 5 and even reset my Mac to factory settings. Still having the problem. Everything is up-to-date. Could it be because I'm running OS X Yosemite instead of OS X Server? If so, why the problem now?

Thanks for your help!!

• 1. Re: LR5 freezing up due to OS X Yosemite vs OS X Server?
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is on your Mac. So tell us some more detail. What is the system, Lr version..., exactly what happens and when??

BTW I have two MBP's a 2011 and a 2014 with with Yosemite and Lightroom 5.7.1 and both run fine

• 2. Re: LR5 freezing up due to OS X Yosemite vs OS X Server?
            stevendrakephoto Level 1

Hey Geoff, thanks for getting back so quick!

When I open LR5, and start perusing through my photos, it'll click into one, LR tries to load it but it'll never load then freezes up. Then LR5 stops responding and I have to Force Quit the program. After Force Quitting, I try to reopen LR5 but it never opens. The only way to get it to open back up is by restarting the computer. And once it opens it freezes back up on me after I started looking at photos... Sometimes after the initial Force Quit, my whole computer freezes up then I have to hold the power button down.

I purchased this Macbook Pro ~2 months ago at the end of October and ran LR5 for 6 weeks with no problems. Then suddenly it started freezing up on me.

Here's my system specs:

Macbook Pro, late-2013, 15" Retina

2 GHz intel core i7

8 gigs of memory

Running OS X Yosemite, Versions 10.10.1

Lightroom 5.7.1

Also, I'm running two Western Digital external hard drives that hold all my images.

• 3. Re: LR5 freezing up due to OS X Yosemite vs OS X Server?
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok so the catalog and is on the Mac?? How many images in the Catalog??

Try creating a new catalog and importing a small folder of pics and see if that works ok.

I am wondering if it maybe the preview cache.