7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 5:52 AM by NicHamilton

Return Lightroom

samg456

Lightroom was bought for me on a software download card from John Lewis.

Having installed software and used it for a few days, I realise this software is too complicated for my needs.

Is there any way to return and get a refund? (John Lewis have said no, but suggested I contact Adobe - I have tried but no phone number and website support does not have the answer).

• 1. Re: Return Lightroom
          johnhawk666 Level 3

If you bought this software in the UK, then you have to contact the seller who sold it to you, and John Lewis is trying to dodge its responsibility by passing the buck to Adobe to give you a refund.

• 2. Re: Return Lightroom
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

johnhawk666 wrote:

John Lewis is trying to dodge its responsibility

Maybe not. I'll bet that (as with most software sales in the UK) there's a clearly(?) stated "no returns" policy to stop piracy - buying the software, helping yourself to the serial/licence number, and then returning it as "not suitable".

From John Lewis' Order & returns information page (with my emphasis):

Products we're unable to cancel, refund or exchange

We can't offer refunds or exchanges, unless faulty or not as described, on the following items:

• products which have been personalised for you, such as stationery or gifts
            • made to order products such as furniture or made to measure items
            • perishable goods such as flowers, food or real Christmas trees
            • computer software that has been opened or computer software cards that have been redeemed
            • iTunes gift cards

I can't really see how Adobe can help, either, but John Lewis does not have a responsibility here...

• 3. Re: Return Lightroom
              NicHamilton Level 3

Have you used the serial number or are you still in the generous 30 day trial period?  If the former then I suspect you'll get nowhere from either, if the latter then I'd try John Lewis again even though it's completely up to them as to whether they should offer a refund on an unwanted gift.

And I see Keith added an even better answer while I was typing.

• 4. Re: Return Lightroom
                samg456 Level 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately (for me) Keith is correct - a refund is simply not an option. I did not have the trial period because it was a gift.

Moving forward, I would like to remove my huge iPhoto library (24,000 photos) that I imported (and has scared / completely overwhelmed me!) and return to an 'empty' lightroom that I can use a little and try to learn this new programme a few photos at a time.

Any thoughts on how best to empty Lightroom and start again?

I intend to continue to use iPhoto to manage the majority of my photos. I will then import the odd few photos into lightroom to edit / play with and learn from. Thoughts on this plan appreciated too! I am VERY new to this.

Thx

Sam

• 5. Re: Return Lightroom
                  NicHamilton Level 3

You can simply start a new Catalog in Lightroom.  You'll lose nothing that's already been done but can then build it as you like.  There's no need to delete the old one.

I don't know iPhoto but continuing to use both for a while sounds like a sensible way to get going.  I found LR to be quite different from some other imaging software when I first started with it so there was a steep learning curve but there is a lot of free material on the internet to get you started.

• 6. Re: Return Lightroom
                    johnhawk666 Level 3

One thing to try, if you decide to learn about Lr, is to watch the introductory videos that are on the Adobe website - several people have said that they found them helpful when getting to grips with Lr.

• 7. Re: Return Lightroom
                      dj_paige Level 9

I intend to continue to use iPhoto to manage the majority of my photos. I will then import the odd few photos into lightroom to edit / play with and learn from. Thoughts on this plan appreciated too! I am VERY new to this.

For a short time, while learning Lightroom, this is fine.

However, after that learning period, you want to have all your photos managed in a single tool. If you're going to continue to use Lightroom, then you want to migrate ALL of your photos to Lightroom, and stop using iPhoto to manage the photos. The reason you shouldn't use two different softwares for photo management is that it leads to confusion, as each software will not know what you did in the other software, and furthermore then the responsibility is on you to remember which software manages which photo (and with 24,000 photos, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation)

• 8. Re: Return Lightroom
                        samg456 Level 1

What is the best way to remove the current catalogue and return LR to its just installed 'empty' state?

• 9. Re: Return Lightroom
                          NicHamilton Level 3

Open Lightroom.

Select File, New Catalog.  Select a Location and give your new Catalog a name.  This will be a completely empty catalog.