18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 3:45 AM by Kelleen Hite

Color profiles not showing

Kelleen Hite

I have LR5.7 {although I have had this issue since LR5 was installed in 1/14}. I have a slew of color profiles I purchased, that worked in LR4 for my d3s, d4 and then some new ones I downloaded for d810, and none of them show up in the color profiles section. I only see the standard ones, adobe standard, camera flat, camera standard, etc. Where are the other 50 profiles, and why I cant I see them.

They are in Mac HD/users/photo/library/application support/adobe/lightroom/color profiles

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Color profiles not showing
          NicHamilton Level 3

Maybe this can help...it refers to a Windows system but you might be able to work out the Mac alternative...

Where do I put Camera Calibration Profiles?

• 2. Re: Color profiles not showing
            Kelleen Hite Level 1

Not really...it has it installing in the same place I have them. And still no luck.

• 3. Re: Color profiles not showing
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If what you’re installing are DNG Color Profiles (.dcp) files, the location is here:

Macintosh HD / Users /  / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles / make-your-own-folder

If they are really develop presets with an .lrtemplate extension, then the location would be in a location similar to where you’ve tried to put them:

Macintosh HD / Users /  / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom / Develo p Presets / make-your-own-folder

Reference:

http://members.lightroomqueen.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1373/205/lightroom-5-default- locations#7

• 4. Re: Color profiles not showing
                NicHamilton Level 3

The location listed in that link is not the one you cited above.....have you put in the Camera model as part of the location

eg:  C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\NIKON D300

• 5. Re: Color profiles not showing
                  Kelleen Hite Level 1

I tried both ways, with and without the camera extension.

• 6. Re: Color profiles not showing
                    Kelleen Hite Level 1

This is for camera raw, not lightroom. and they are camera profiles not develop presets, but for LR not camera raw. They are .dcp files but I want them in LR not CR

• 7. Re: Color profiles not showing
                      Kelleen Hite Level 1

I have the profiles installed in both CR and LR and neither work. But I would assume for them to work in LR they need to be in LR, and then to work in CR they shoudl be in CR. I have a set for d810 that works if I put in d810 folder-- but ONLY in CR. If I install the SAME way in LR, that does not work. I am wondering if I am naming the camera folder incorrectly.

• 8. Re: Color profiles not showing
                        NicHamilton Level 3

I'll have a look on my old PC in a minute which had some custom profiles but I seem to recall they were in the Camera Raw folder for both LR and Camera Raw....didn't have to put them in two different places.

• 9. Re: Color profiles not showing

In your initial message you said you put them, here:

Mac HD/users/photo/library/application support/adobe/lightroom/color profiles

In my reply I said to put them, here:

Macintosh HD / Users /  / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles / make-your-own-folder

Where I’ve told you is the correct place on a Mac.  Saying it is not isn’t going to change that.  Maybe check your permissions to make sure things are readable to everyone.

The CameraRaw in the path indicates the profiles are for the CameraRaw engine that is built into both the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in for Photoshop and into Lightroom, so despite there being a CameraRaw in the name, it is for both products.

Can you tell us where you have copied the profiles to, now, since the first location you gave wasn’t correct?

• 10. Re: Color profiles not showing
                            Kelleen Hite Level 1

I actually have it in both the camera raw folder and the Lightroom folder. I have multiple camera profiles in both- and the only one that shows is the 810 and only in camera raw not in lightroom. I know in LR4 I had to install them in the camera calibration folder of LR not CR. But in answer to your question its in both and I can only see 810 in CR not in LR. I have 5 different folders that don't show.

Pure Sugar Studios

www.puresugarstudios.com

904-315-5274

Sent from my iPhone- I'm on the go!

• 11. Re: Color profiles not showing

Where camera profiles reside has changed, perhaps since LR 4.whatever, I forget exactly when, since LR 5 has been out almost a year and a half, already.  They used to be mixed in with the Adobe-supplied profiles but that lead to a missing profiles when an uninstall removed things or didn't copy them over to the new location, and now if you copy them into the Adobe area, they are ignored.

I asked to see what folder paths you were using because there were two issues with the one you said you tried, initially.  It says "Lightroom" instead of "CameraRaw" AND it has"color profiles" instead of "CameraProfiles".  The specific wording and the spacing or lack thereof are different, and so using "color profiles", "ColorProfiles", or "Camera Profiles" all won't work and the last folder above the ones you might hand create needs to be "CameraProfiles".  Being able to see what you've used would just have had another pair of eyes proofreading it.

One thing I do notice about the paths I provided, they had "your-user-name" within square brackets and the autoformatting for the forum apparently removes everything with square brackets around it, so a revised version of the path would be:  Macintosh HD / Users / your-user-name / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles / make-your-own-folder(s)

One question about your original path, are you actually logged in to a user called "photo" because that's the username listed in the path you gave.  The profiles are user-specific so if "photo" is not the user you're using, then they won't be seen.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about multiple folders and only the 810 shows.  Camera Profiles are specific to a particular camera model and Adobe filters what you see in the Profile list so it matches only the model of camera the current raw file is from.  Unless you have 50 profiles all for the D810, then you will only see the subset of the 50 that are for the D810.  Also, subfolders under CameraProfiles are useful for organization on disk but the profile list is just a simple list of all the .dcp profiles files contained in and in subfolders beneath the CameraProfiles folder, so you'll never see the folder names, themselves, in the list.

• 12. Re: Color profiles not showing
                                Kelleen Hite Level 1

Ok, I am going to access all this, but it seems it is working in camera raw but not in lightroom. I wonder if there is another folder I could try (I may have written them incorrectly). I am going to try a few things and then get back to you!

Pure Sugar Studios

www.puresugarstudios.com

904-315-5274

• 13. Re: Color profiles not showing
                                  Kelleen Hite Level 1

OK...for an update, camera raw within PS is working still no luck with LR. I would assume they would have to be installed in a folder within the application support folder/adobe and the in LR for them to work in LR since I dont think LR uses camera raw to function from. I see a folder called color profiles, but even the adobe ones are not listed there so there has to be a location I am missing. I have tried googling but to no avail. Any ideas what the folder in LR should be called?

• 14. Re: Color profiles not showing

Quote for us where you’ve put the third-party profiles. 

None of the folders that have camera profiles should be called “color profiles”.  I think you’re just confused about what you’re doing and since you won’t’ tell us what you’re doing, specifically, we can’t help you.

• 15. Re: Color profiles not showing
                                      Modesto Vega Level 1

Could I ask a really simple question? Where do you want to see those profiles under Camera Calibration in the Develop module, under when Soft Proofing also in the Develop module, or in the Print module?

• 16. Re: Color profiles not showing

That would be good to know, although I answered that question in my mind as it being a camera profile, because she’d said that other cameras worked ok and only the D810 was having issues, as well as that the files were .dcp files which are camera profiles, rather than .icc or .icm files that would be for softproofing and printed output, but would also not change from one camera model to the other, but given the multiple references to “color profiles” there might be some confusion regarding what type of profiles are being dealt with, as well.

• 17. Re: Color profiles not showing
                                          Kelleen Hite Level 1

Well, I had the strangest thing, I opened it all in LR4, then LR5 again, and everything worked. Who knows… thanks for all your help!

• 18. Re: Color profiles not showing

Lightroom would need to be restarted after copying the profile files before they would be visible.  Had LR5 been loaded all this time or had it been restarted several times without the profiles being visible, you feel starting LR4 had something to do with LR5 seeing them? 

• 19. Re: Color profiles not showing
                                              Kelleen Hite Level 1

Each time I moved I closed and reopened, knowing it would need that for them to take effect. They had always been in 4, so I was going to go back and just use that, and for some reason, opening and closing 4 made them work in 5. Who knows...gotta love Adobe!

Pure Sugar Studios

www.puresugarstudios.com

904-315-5274