8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 8:10 AM by A.T. Romano

can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?

fintragh

I can't capture DV video on my imac yosemite.

I have captured the DV video cilps into imovie using canopus advc 55.

However premiere elements does not recognise the video convertor.

However an earlier version of premiere elements on my PC recognises the ADVC and works.

Can anyone help me get PE to capture on my new imac

• 1. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fintragh

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

ATR

• 2. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
            fintragh Level 1

sorry for the delay in replying.

The version is Premiere elements 13 i and the operating system is OSX yosemite 10. 10.1

Fintragh

• 4. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fintragh

Thanks for the reply with the information on your version of Premiere Elements, 13 Mac.

Premiere Elements13 no longer offers DV or HDV Capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture window.

Adobe's PRE_help has pointed the user to the following Adobe document which contains alternative workflow, including MacOS -HD/DV/Webcam Capture

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

Same link just cited by John in post 3. Please explore that alternative work flow, and let us know how that works for you.

I am not sure why any 3rd party software would be needed in this case since don't you have iMovie already installed on your Mac computer? If the

Adobe alternative for 13 capture is not acceptable to you, I would think that iMovie would be the way to go.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so please advise why iMovie would not be a consideration under the circumstances.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Add On...Premiere Elements 12/12.1 was the last version to include the DV HDV data capture firewire in case you want to try to find an earlier version of

Premiere Elements with which to work.

• 5. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
                fintragh Level 1

Thanks for your responses.

to answer ATR

The video clips I want to digitise are all in 4:3

Imovies imports them  into events in the 4:3 format.

However when you render them as a finished movie it changes them to 16:9

which letterboxs the clips.

I end up with heads decapitated. etc.

I cant seem to be able to make imovies producr the finished product in

its origional 4;3.

hence my interest in getting premiere elements to work

fintragh

• 6. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fintragh

Thanks for the reply.

Have your tried the Adobe suggested workaround for the DV or HDV data capture firewire for Premiere Elements 13 where the feature has been removed?

Please let us know if that worked for you.

However, I would encourage you to explore your iMovie situation in this regard. I am strictly an Elements Windows user. But, I suspect there may be

an iMovie export setting that you are missing if you report an iMovie end product letterboxed instead of 4:3 full screen.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
                    fintragh Level 1

Hi ATR

thanks for your comments.

I have downloaded lifeflix and it works a treat. I was able to capture

video in mov format. I could then import it into priemere elements and

it all worked, so thanks for that suggestion

I also went to our local apple store with respect to imovies and he

worked out what seems to be a solution.

as I said before, the source video clips are captured in 4:3 and stored

in events folders.

One can drag whatever clip you require in the finished movie into the

project line.

when you have the movie clips in the order you wish for the finished

project you press "command + a" to select all the clips in the project line.

then you select the cropping command for whatever clip is being

displayed and you arrange the croping lines to correspond with the 16:9

envelope.

then you press the fill button that opens when you use crop which is

left of the crop button.

the clip is now correctly arranged in 4:3 within the 16:9 screen. ie

there are two black strips on both the right and left side of the 16:9

picture.

this works good enough for me.

I hope this will help others with the same problem

Thanks again for your help and interest, I really appreciated your interest.

regards

Fintragh

• 8. Re: can't capture DV video using imac yosemite OSX?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fintragh

Thanks for the update and sharing the information on your solutions which are appreciated by all. Great job on follow through and sharing.

I had not heard of John's Mac capture solution (lifeflix), so it is good to know that you have found that

to be a good alternative way for capture in Mac.

But, free iMovie should have done the job for you. So glad to learn that you worked through the details of using

iMovie for the captures also. Others had reported excellent results with the iMovie choice when there was

a problem with the Premiere Elements Mac DV and HDV capture firewire.

Best wishes.

ATR