3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 9:34 AM by lambda42

Multi-Channel HD recording losslessly

lambda42

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to record 4 channels, each 1080p, losslessly. Fortunately I only need to record short bursts (<10min). I'm going to be setting up 4 3GSDI camera's and at the moment I'm planning on using a BlackMagic DeckLink Quad to hook all this up. Given all of this I have two questions.

One, has any been able to confirm that Premier Pro is compatible with the DeckLink Quad from BlackMagic Design.

Two, When video is being streamed to Premier Pro, does it store the video in memory and then write it to the hard drive after the stream is closed? I ask because if we do go with this setup I'll need to spec the system we'll be using accordingly. i.e. more RAM if that's where it stores the video, or SSD's is it only passes through memory and then to the Hard Drive.

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

-Jake

• 1. Re: Multi-Channel HD recording losslessly
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to get one stream to record in Premiere but certainly not 4. Lossless HD produces huge files, whatever system you end up with, will need to have a vey fast HDD array.

• 2. Re: Multi-Channel HD recording losslessly
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Jake,

Please define "losslessly". An uncompressed HD stream is ginormous, let alone 4 at once. BlackMagic can record to the BlackMagic M-JPEG codec which is far smaller and will "look good". As Richard said, Premiere is not set up to record multiple channels, just one at a time. You would need a software app made specifically for the BMD multi-channel capture, plus a fast RAID (two 7200 drives in RAID 0 can handle 4 compressed HD streams). I don't know if BMD supplies such an app with the hardware?

I have no experience with Deck Link Quad, but have used the Matrox VS4 in conjunction with Telestream Wirecast software, which allowed me to capture 4 HD-SDI streams at once using the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame HD codec (intra-frame, 4:2:2 color, 100-300Mbps data rate). You can get the new VS4 Recorder software bundled with the VS4 hardware, or use Wirecast for the capture (unless that now requires VS4 Recorder also, not sure if that may have changed).

In any case, NO capture card buffers the video, always recorded live to the hard drive directly. Once the stream or streams are recorded, the resulting clips can be edited in Premiere using the MultiCam feature.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 3. Re: Multi-Channel HD recording losslessly
              lambda42 Level 1

Hey guys.

Thanks for the quick reply. Jeff, yes, truly lossless, no compression. I know something like M-JPEG would look fine for most things but I have a bunch of engineers telling me that we need to get the best possible picture from all 4 cameras. Based on what you've said it doesn't seem like I'll be using Premier so i'll move over to the BMD forums.

Thanks again,

Jake Greinert