5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 11:47 AM by A.T. Romano

3D effect w/still photo

gordoni47 Level 1

I've seen documentaries on TV where zooming in on a still image appears to be in 3D...with depth.  I know it can be done by dividing the image into layers (background and foreground) but can premiere elements automate this.?

gordo

• 1. Re: 3D effect w/still photo
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gordo

What version of Premiere Elements are you using or plan to use and on what computer operating system is it running or will it be running?

Keyframing of properties across a clip can be used for creating animations in Premiere Elements.

Please check out the following video tutorial on Star Wars Titles, and let us know if that is what you had in mind for your 3D effect for a still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXFJN7y79kM

The tutorial uses Premiere Pro for the demo, but can be done in Premiere Elements. I will give you the Premiere Elements answer to your

Premiere Elements question once I am sure of the effect that you want to achieve.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: 3D effect w/still photo
            gordoni47 Level 1

Thanks ATR...

No -- I want to take a still photo, and create an effect like zooming into the image, but have it appear to have depth. I know how to do it manually... by:

1. creating a foreground layer and different background layers in Photoshop and then

2. changing scale on each at different rates...but it's extremely time-consuming.

I'm wondering if there's a way to "automate" this in any version of Premiere Elements.

I'm using Elements 10 in windows 7.

Thanks!

GORDON

• 3. Re: 3D effect w/still photo
              A.T. Romano Level 7

GORDON

Thanks for the reply.

My first impression is that the creation of an animated "zoomed in still image/with depth considerations" is a Photoshop task and not Premiere Elements (any version).

You wrote about what you are doing now and how you want to stream line the process in the name of time.

1. creating a foreground layer and different background layers in Photoshop and then

2. changing scale on each at different rates...but it's extremely time-consuming.

I have not tried it yet, but I think those Photoshop details can be translated into Premiere Elements workflow (substituting "tracks" for "layers" and keyframing the Scale property for each track content.). But, that would appear to be time consuming as well. But...what if you created a dummy project in which you invested the time in setting up. And, then used a copy of that dummy project each time you want the effect - replace the still with effect in the dummy using the Replace Footage option obtained by right clicking the dummy's original still in project media.

On the Photoshop side of thoughts...

To lessen the time consuming aspects of this, have you attempted to create an action for this in Photoshop. If you can create the action and produce the wanted product, does Photoshop allow you to export that as a video file (such as .mov)? In that regard, is your end result targeting using the still with effect (created now in Photoshop) in a Premiere Elements 10 video project?

Please review and consider and then let us know if we are closer to what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: 3D effect w/still photo
                gordoni47 Level 1

Goof thoughts. Yes, creating the various 3D layers would be a Photoshop task...and perhaps your suggestion would work well (making a sort of "template" effect which could be repeated for various images).  The actual speeds of the zoom, etc. could then be tweaked a bit (I think the actual desired effect would vary depending on the content of each still image).

I'll try this when I get a chance... but I'm seeing this kind of thing more and more in historical documentaries, etc. (which is why I thought maybe there is an actual program, plug-in or filter that would do it more easily).

If I can find an example of what I'm talking about I'll try to attach a sample and send...

THANKS.

G

• 5. Re: 3D effect w/still photo
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

G

Thanks for the follow up.

If you could supply a sample of what you seek, that would be great.

From what I have read, latest versions of Photoshop can handle some video exports of stills from the Layers Palette.

So, I am wondering if there is a plugin out there for Photoshop that will allow you to do the creation with the 3D Effect

and the export of it from there as video (.mov or other)?

ATR