6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2007 7:38 AM by Newsgroup_User

Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP

The_Kelvinater
      Hi.

I am trying to aligh text along side a shape, but have not got a clue how to do it. Please look here (please note: the picture's original format was a .PNG) for an example of what I want done. Notice how the text has been aligned around the oval shape.

I am confident, from reading a book (How to Build a Website in Flash; Author David Morris) that this picture has been created in Fireworks. Could someone please explain how to do this?

Thanks

P.s. I also realise that Attaching it to a path did not work
        • 1. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
          abeall Level 3
          There's no real way to shape text like that in FW automatically, what you would have to do is manually add spaces at the beginning of each line.
          • 2. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
            The_Kelvinater Level 1
            Oh ok, thank you for replying. In that case, it's a bit off topic, but is there a way in Photoshop for doing this? This would save me having to setup a new thread in the Photoshop section.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
              prach
              No photoshop does not facilitate such an option of aligning text to a pre defined path...The Wrap Text option isn't present here, unlike softwares like coreldraw and quark , support such text editing.

Incase such an option's been added in the latest photoshop versions it would be gr8 if i could get details for the same.

-prachi
              • 4. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
                Level 7

> No photoshop does not facilitate such an option of aligning text to a pre
                > defined path...The Wrap Text option isn't present here, unlike softwares
                > like
                > coreldraw and quark , support such text editing.
                >
                > Incase such an option's been added in the latest photoshop versions it
                > would
                > be gr8 if i could get details for the same.
                >
                >
                > -prachi

Actually you can do this in photoshop.
                Russel Brown shows how to do this in http://www.lynda.com/ "Photoshop CS2
                Russel Brown Tips&Tricks" in chapter 4. Type effects
                If you dont want to pay for this knowledge I will try to explain.
                Basically he makes a rectangle shape and inside that subtracts another shape
                , a star or an ellipse or any shape, the trick is to let the subtracted
                shape intersect with the first shape.

In this case I would make a rectangle big enough to contain both graphics
                and text then subtract an ellipse the size of your picture and either let
                the left side of the ellipse intersect the left side of the rectangle or if
                you want it more in the middle make a very small rectangle which intersects
                both of your other shapes.

Come to think of it... maybe this will work in fireworks too. I think I will
                try and see.
                Roger

• 5. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
                  Level 7
                  >Come to think of it... maybe this will work in fireworks too. I think I
                  >will
                  >try and see.

Looks like I cant fill a shape with text like I can in photoshop. So this
                  trick is likely not possible in fireworks.

Roger

• 6. Re: Text Alignment with a shape. PLEASE HELP
                    Level 7
                    The Kelvinater wrote:
                    > Hi.
                    >
                    > I am trying to aligh text along side a shape, but have not got a clue how to
                    > do it. Please look http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9970/homecontentrh0.gif
                    > (please note: the picture's original format was a .PNG) for an example of what
                    > I want done. Notice how the text has been aligned around the oval shape.
                    >
                    > I am confident, from reading a book (How to Build a Website in Flash; Author
                    > David Morris) that this picture has been created in Fireworks. Could someone
                    > please explain how to do this?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >

If you have Freehand, you can flow text around an object (in this case,
                    a curved path), then copy/paste the result back into Fireworks.

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver