9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 4:22 AM by dj_paige

BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5

EGarcia

So I made a huge mistake and tried to reorganize my photos in lightroom 5.  So let me explain in one example... I have the original photo and a copy of the photo edited, I exported the edits in too small of a jpeg on accident and when I went back to export them in the bigger size, the edited photo is already at something like 1000 x 667 and I tried to re export it bigger and of course it won't.  So now I have the original photos, but they are unedited and when I try to copy and paste the settings, it won't.  Does this mean I have to start over with editing these photos?

• 1. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

A Start-over should not be necessary-

In the 'Develop' module, with both versions of your image (the Edited JPG and the un-edited Original in the LR catalog library, or a 'Collection')- 

1. Select the edited JPG image. (The 'Primary' selection)

2. CTRL-click to also select the 'Original' image.  (The 'Secondary' selection)

3. Click on the "SYNC" button.

4. First try clicking on the "Check All" and "Synchronize" buttons.  (CTRL+Z will undo if you don't like the result)

5. Then Export the Original image, with the edits applied, once again to a new derivative jpg file, with new pixel size as required.

This procedure will copy all your editing adjustments from the derivative jpg to the master image, although it may not look exact because of the pixel file size differences. Everything is reversible by 'Undo' or 'Reset' methods.

The Synchronize dialog window can have specific sync functions marked (eg. Basic Tone, Color, White Balance.)

• 2. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
            dj_paige Level 9

, the edited photo is already at something like 1000 x 667

Lightroom never modifies the image portion of your photos, and so the only ways to get an image that is 1000x667 are:

1. It was that small size when you imported it
            2. You cropped it in Lightroom to that size
            3. You deleted the originals from Lightroom and now you are trying to work on the exported photos

Which one is it?

In case 2, you should be able to return to your edited photo in Lightroom (unless you deleted it from Lightroom) and remove the crop and work with the full size original.

In case 3, you have made a mistake, your workflow should never contain a step that deletes original photos from Lightroom (unless you consider the photo to be so badly captured that it is worthless to you)

• 3. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
              elie-d Level 4

wobertc wrote:

In the 'Develop' module, with both versions of your image (the Edited JPG and the un-edited Original in the LR catalog library, or a 'Collection')- 

1. Select the edited JPG image. (The 'Primary' selection)

2. CTRL-click to also select the 'Original' image.  (The 'Secondary' selection)

3. Click on the "SYNC" button.

4. First try clicking on the "Check All" and "Synchronize" buttons.  (CTRL+Z will undo if you don't like the result)

5. Then Export the Original image, with the edits applied, once again to a new derivative jpg file, with new pixel size as required.

This procedure will copy all your editing adjustments from the derivative jpg to the master image,

I doubt this method will work since a jpg exported from LR and then imported will open with default settings, i.e. all sliders zeroed, because the edits that were done to the original file are now "baked in" to the jpg. However, I don't understand why the OP thinks that the originals are now unedited. The edit history doesn't disappear simply because exporting was done unless he also reset the edit history to default and neglected to mention that. I also don't understand why he says he cannot export a new resized jpg from the previously exported jpg. LR should resize it and apply the appropriate Output Sharpening without any problem other than the slight losses in quality entailed by a second jpg save and the resizing.

• 4. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                EGarcia Level 1

So I tried to do this and at the top left corner it shows that the sync is loading and then finished, but then the picture does not change. 

• 5. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                  EGarcia Level 1

Yes, so the sync did not work.  What happened was originally I was importing and moving files on my hard drive, not knowing you could do it all from LR.  So it was so much of a mess, I removed the folders and re-imported everything.  I don't have anything that I lost, other than just time that I worked on the photos, and there is only two sets of portraits that are affected, but they are friends.  So it's not like a wedding or anything.  But I was exporting images and the "resize to fit:" was checked before I realized it was resizing my photos to 1000 x 667.  So everything is re-imported into LR and now the original file is as it was taken and the jpeg is a tiny file.  I tried to export the jpeg and it still remains at 1000 x 667

• 6. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                    EGarcia Level 1

Is there any way to copy and paste what is in the histogram?

• 7. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                      EGarcia Level 1

I just figured something out, so I looked at the original dimensions and when I went to export the jpeg, I checked "resize to fit: height and width" and typed in the dimensions from the original photo.  It worked, but will this affect the quality of the photo, like distort it?

• 8. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                        wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Re my "Method" above, and eli-d's reply-

I doubt this method will work since a jpg exported from LR and then imported will open with default settings, i.e. all sliders zeroed,

True.!  sliders will be zeroed.  I was believing that the OP had "edited" the derivative jpgs  in LR with adjusted sliders.

About Resize for Export:

-Setting "Pixels" in the Image Sizing panel is not necessary at all, unless you are wanting specific pixels- say for a web page image. So don't tick "Resize" unless it is wanted.-   Simply setting to export as jpg and a quality setting 60-70 will create a compressed image file-size but still contain your original image pixel dimensions.

-Also consider that the Resize pixel dimensions, when given, are only 'maximum limits' for your exported image. They do not distort your image in the way that Photoshop might (without "Constrain Proportions")   In LR if you enter 1000x1000 then a landscape image might export at 1000x400 (within the 1000x1000 limits) It will not distort to 1000x1000.

So in summary- For 'Quality' exports- Do not resize, Keep jpg 'Quality' higher up the scale.

You may appreciate this article by Laura Shoe about export jpg quality-

Jpeg Compression and the Lightroom Jpeg Quality Setting | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

• 9. Re: BIG MISTAKE HELP! Lightroom 5
                          dj_paige Level 9

I just figured something out, so I looked at the original dimensions and when I went to export the jpeg, I checked "resize to fit: height and width" and typed in the dimensions from the original photo.  It worked, but will this affect the quality of the photo, like distort it?

It will not distort the photo. It will lower the quality. Not recommended.

I do not see the answer to my questions in reply #2 in this thread.