4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 6:00 AM by StewartM

Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?

StewartM

The subject says it all, really. Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?

Just that according to the system requirements at http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html#main_InDesign_CS4_system_requirem ents :

"(cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices)"

I'm wondering whether that is still the case.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’re going to have more of a problem because of Yosemite than anything

else. CS4 is unsupported.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?
            StewartM Level 1

Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm prepared for some sort of trouble, what with CS4 having been produced so many OS versions previously.

Having said that, the RoaringApps site isn't reporting anything other than requiring an installtion of Java.

So basically, it's just whether CS4 will install and authenticate at all. (I have a vague recollection that the problem with SSDs is to do with authentication, but I may be totally wrong! Or things might have changed.)

In case you're wondering, the reason I don't just go ahead and try it is that I'm trying to avoid putting loads of 'stuff' on the pristine new machine. (Haven't even installed Flash yet, for instance.)

So if anybody has successfully installed CS4 on a machine with SSD, despite the indication to the contrary in the system requirements, I'd be interested to know.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a clone of Yosemite running on a LaCie Slim Media SSD USB drive where I test software and CS4 does run on it. Haven't done much with it other than a launch, so I can't say whether you would have problems in a production environment or running needed third party extensions.

In case you're wondering, the reason I don't just go ahead and try it is that I'm trying to avoid putting loads of 'stuff' on the pristine new machine.

When you do the installation an uninstaller is included, so it doesn't seem like there's much risk of creating a system problem with the install.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to install InDesign CS4 on a 2014 MacBook Air with SSD?
                StewartM Level 1

Rob, thanks for letting me know about ID running at least to some extent from an SSD USB drive. I don't actually need to use InDesign just yet, but it sounds like there's a sporting chance that it will work at some point in the future (probably just for fairly light-duty work).

(I wonder why it says in the system requirements that ID CS4 will nit run on an SSD drive?)

As for the uninstaller, I'll give that a try on another machine and see how well it works.

(Should be easy enough to test: I recently installed InDesign on a failing MacBook after having wiped its drive for a fresh OS install, without first deactivating InDesign. So I re-installed ID and was surprised that the machine was automatically activated. Thinking about it, not sure whether I should have been surprised by that or not.)