5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 12:27 PM by Derjis

XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1

Derjis Level 3

UGH, SERIOUSLY ADOBE, YOU'RE THE WORST.

I've got an 8.2-native (created in 8.2) project file from the client; Premiere Pro 8.1+ has been crap, so we were still running 8.0.1. There's a long, convoluted story of "upgrading" to 8.2, testing it out, finding a couple of dealbreaker bugs/feature removals, and rolling back to 8.0.1, but I won't bore you with that here.

The crux of the problem is that I've got an XML of the client-project that I exported from 8.2 while it was installed, but it won't actually open in 8.0.1; upon trying to import the XML, I get the error message "The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements". The XML file is definitely NOT corrupt.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1
          LMProductions Level 1

This is a major problem for us too. 8.1+ has been AWFUL. Tried importing an XML from 8.2 into 8.1 even and got a "generic error."

• 2. Re: XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1
            Derjis Level 3

The workaround we had to use was RIDICULOUS:

Upgrade both Pr and AE to 8.2

Do a "Replace with After Effects Composition" for all of the VFX shots

Save each AE project (one for each scene) as a ver.12 compatible file

Uninstall Pr and AE

Re-install the previous versions of Pr and AE, along with any updates (Pr 8.0.1, AE 13.0.2.3), etc.

Complete the work in the good, yellow-UI version, exporting DPX seq for the original editor to lay back in.

• 3. Re: XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1
              LMProductions Level 1

How did you get the Premiere sequence from 8.2 back into Premiere 8.0.1?

• 4. Re: XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1
                Derjis Level 3

IIRC, there's some convoluted process where you can open up the project file in a text editor and manually change the flag that tells PPro which version you created it in; that should allow you to open an 8.2 project in 8.0.1. I think I also remember reading about how there's a bug in 8.2 that will let you open 8.2 projects in 8.1 (assuming that Adobe hasn't patched that out, yet). Aside from that, when XML doesn't work, you could try exporting an .AAF...?

I've been asking for forwards compatibility between versions of Premiere for ages, but it seems like they'd rather focus on ruining their UI, rather than implementing features that are actually useful. Even the ability to save a PPro project in an older format (like AE and AI can) would be handy; at the very least, let us have multiple versions of PPro installed on the same machine, so we could copy-and-paste clips between them...

• 5. Re: XML from 8.2 won't open in 8.0.1
                  Derjis Level 3

LMProductions wrote:

How did you get the Premiere sequence from 8.2 back into Premiere 8.0.1?

We actually weren't able to; we upgraded in order to be able to access the project, exported all of the clips we needed to AE (we had to update AE, since Replace with After Effects Comp doesn't seem to work when PPro has been updated, but AE hasn't), saved the AE project files to an older format, reverted/re-installed everything back to 8.0.1 and 13.0.2.3, and started working on the shots. The original project file came from a different house, so we just gave them the completed shots, and let them worry about laying everything back.