34 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2015 6:12 PM by A.T. Romano

File won't play

Cindyg22 Level 1

I have added an MP4 file from GoPro to a new Premiere Elements 11 project.  Then I rendered.  Then I click the Play triangle, and absolutely nothing happens.  I can drag the CTI around, and the picture moves along with the indicator.  But the file will not play on its own.

I'm working on a Thinkpad laptop, which I know is not powerful enough; but I have been able to play and edit GoPro videos on this computer as recently as this morning.

Help.

Cindy

• 1. Re: File won't play
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

What are the properties of your GoPro video (1080p, 1080i, or other)? Duration?

What are you (manually) or the program (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

(See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they

look grayed out).

If you open a new project, does the same issue exist for the same Timeline content?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on this computer? Are you running the program from a User Account with

Administrative Privileges?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: File won't play
            Cindyg22 Level 1

Thanks, ATR!

Answers: 

Operating system:  Windows 7

GoPro settings:  Video Resolution 180, FPS 30, Resolution 10MP Wide

Duration:  It's a 22 minute video, but as soon as I get it into PE, I cut off the ends, leaving 7 minutes in the middle.  I am able to make this edit.

Project Settings in PE:  I have tried *everything* from letting it chose automatically to setting it myself (New Project, Change Settings, Force Selected Project Setting.)  When it worked yesterday morning, I let it chose automatically.

Here are the settings for a recent try:

Editing Mode (grayed out):  HD1080i

Time base (grayed out): 29.97

Frame Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  Square

I will tell you that this same GoPro footage plays perfectly in Windows Media player, and looks much better -- more crisp, clear, and colorful than it looks in PE.

Also, this same footage, when I was able to work with it in PE, I was able to publish it to YouTube, and it looked AWFUL.  Seeing that, I decided to try again.  That's when it wouldn't play at all.  I was going to give you the YouTube link, but it won't play at all now.  (?)

Will it play a different clip?  I just tried to play a different clip, 11 minutes long, also shot with the GoPro, footage I was also able to play and edit previously, and, NO, it will not play.

I have QuickTime 7.  Yes, I think I have administrator rights.  I think I once bought QuickTime Pro (when you helped me with a previous problem).

Let me know what to try next.

• 3. Re: File won't play
              Cindyg22 Level 1

Additional information.  It's not just MP4 (GoPro files).  Now I can't play AVI files either. 

• 4. Re: File won't play
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Have a quick test for you to do now that you have added that .avi as well as .mp4 playback is afflicted with this issue.

If you start a new project and import a bunch of jpeg files, do you get the same Timeline playback problem?

ATR

• 5. Re: File won't play
                  Cindyg22 Level 1

Nope.  It won't play a project with nothing but .jpg files.

• 6. Re: File won't play
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

That shows promise and direction for our troubleshooting.

Given you have GoPro files with a .mp4 file extension. What model/settings for the camera that recorded the video? See if you can determine if you have 1080p or 1080i, but we should be able to google for the camera's specifications if necessary.

Given you have files with .avi file extension. Where are they coming from - the GoPro as Cineform.avi - or from other? Here again brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded that video will help us gather up the video properties.

Be sure to have the latest version of regular QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements.

Please check Device Manager/Display Adapters to see what is listed there for video card/graphics card - is the driver version up to date - is there more than one card listed there?

If you right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality and then Highest rather than Automatic, does it make a difference in the issue?

ATR

• 7. Re: File won't play
                      Cindyg22 Level 1

Initially, we thought the problem was the MP4 format, so my son made a batch program that converts GoPro's MP4 clips to AVI.  We were hoping that would be the end of the problem.  I was very disappointed that it didn't help at all. 

I just tried a very short (2 second) MOV file taken on an iPhone, and that won't play either.  I have worked with dozens and dozens of MOV videos.  I'm starting to think that I need to reinstall PE.

The GoPro is a Hero 3 Silver, and the video resolution says 1080, 30 FPS, Resolution 10MP Wide.  I don't know what else to tell you about it.  I also don't know that it matters given that I can't play MPGs, AVI, or MOVs.

Yes, I have the latest version of QuickTime.  My son reinstalled it this afternoon.

The Display Adapter is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.  There is just the one, and my son says it's up to date.

I tried Playback Quality Highest (instead of automatic), and that did not make it play.

Thanks for teasing this out. 

• 8. Re: File won't play
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Thanks for the follow up troubleshooting. Let us consider the following.

Before an uninstall reinstall...

1. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs files, and, if that does not work, the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" does not work, then let us go for the following uninstall/reinstall route

a. Deactivate the program via an opened project's Help Menu/Deactivate. Close the project and the program.

b. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way.

c. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts).

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

d. reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

(if you have not done so before, install the program to the default Local Disk C location)

Let us determine if any of the above makes any impact on the play back issues.

Thanks for checking out the troubleshooting suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: File won't play
                          Cindyg22 Level 1

Thanks, ATR.  Idea 1 didn't work, so we are proceeding with Idea 2, which will take a while.  I'll let you know what happens next.

• 10. Re: File won't play
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Thanks. Sorry "1" was not the fix.

Looking forward to the results from "2".

ATR

• 11. Re: File won't play
                              Cindyg22 Level 1

Ack!  I can't believe this!  After reinstalling PE, I still can't play a file in any format!

More help needed!

• 12. Re: File won't play
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Distressing news. But moving forward.

1. Have we established that the Scratch Disks are all pointed to save locations with plenty of free space?

Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

2. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is the card's driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of

the card? Double check the listing in Device Manager/Display Adapters...more than one card? dual monitor system? looked at Playback Quality @ Automatic

vs Highest (See right click of Edit area monitor, selection of Playback Quality.) I am not sure of the merits of uninstalling and reinstalling the video card/graphics card

driver. Lets us first get more information on what you find under Device Manager/Display Adapters.

3. Have you compared the playback in the Expert workspace and Quick workspace? Can you get playback in the Preview Window if you double click the file's icon

in Project Assets to open its Preview Window (one with Set In and Set Out points) and press the Preview Window's play button?

4. In your work in uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall, have you restarted the computer before continuing?

Now after all those questions....

1. See if any of the above points you to a target area where you are starting to get results.

2. You could explore creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and installing and trying to run your Premiere Elements 11 there.

Or you could download a free tryout of Premiere Elements 11 from the following web site and use it as a tryout or insert your purchased serial number

in it to discover if the problems of your 11 persist after use of these new installation files.

Photoshop Elements 11 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

Here you have got to run and carry out carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" so that you do not get an access denied message.

Depending on how things go, you could later download and install the free tryout of 13 from there and determine if the problems now go away.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-13-direct-download-links-premiere.html

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for following through on the suggestions. Appreciated.

ATR

• 13. Re: File won't play
                                  Cindyg22 Level 1

First of all, thank you for staying with me.

Now to answer your questions:

Scratch disk space 73 gb available.

Technical info:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it is up to date.  I just ran the upgrade process at the Intel website.  Just the one graphics card and one monitor. 

I've tried playback quality both Auto and Highest in both Quick and Expert mode.  Neither will play.

When I double click the file in Project Assets, and the preview window pops up, it will NOT play. 

Yes, we have rebooted the computer.

Of all you suggested above, I think trying a trial version of 12 or 13 makes the most sense.  I will probably try that, and I'll let you know what happens.  I'd like to hear back from you if you have any further ideas.

You helped me once before.  I have a website where I post videos of my horse.  Do you remember that?    I was using an iPhone to video, and I had nothing but trouble getting PE to edit those files on my laptop.  I was so excited to get this GoPro, hoping that all my problems would be over.  LOL!  Ha ha ha!  I have not had an easy time with Premiere Elements. 

• 14. Re: File won't play
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I remember you and our work with the iPhone video. I did not put that Cindy together with your current thread. So thanks for reintroducing yourself.

Thanks for going through the suggestions. The good news in all this appears to be that your new GoPro camera is not the issue - the GoPro should give you some great action video - most that I have seen have been from bike riders on some pretty rough roads.

We will be watching for your exploration of the tryouts of 11 and/or 13 or whichever you want to look at (that site has tryouts for 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13).

It is about 1:45 am here so I had better call it a day.

To be continued

ATR

• 15. Re: File won't play
                                      Cindyg22 Level 1

Here's where we are so far:  I don't think the GoPro is the problem.  I don't think PE11 is the problem.  I don't think PE13 is the problem.  I think my computer is melting down. 

Remember I said above that I wanted to share the crappy video with you, but YouTube won't even play it?  Now no videos will play on my computer.  Nothing on YouTube will play.

I'll write again after I've made some headway. 

• 16. Re: File won't play
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Thanks for the update.

Do you have the latest or any Flash Player (and Shockwave Player) installed?

Is your browser updated? In your browser, does it help to go to Options/Advanced/Network and clear the Cache Web Content?

Maybe the above will help on the YouTube side of things.

As for within Premiere Elements 11 or 13 Edit area playback, I give a wait and see what happens with the above to improve

the YouTube viewing situation.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes for success

ATR

• 17. Re: File won't play
                                          Cindyg22 Level 1

OK.  I have news!  I am able to play (and edit) in PE11!!!   I am not sure which tweak is responsible for this good news, but this is where we are.  Happy dance!

Here's the current problem:  PE11 imports the AVI file correctly and plays it, but it won't play the sound.  It doesn't import the sound from the video.  It imports a "video-long" silence.

We test the same AVI file in VLC (media player) and it does have sound.  We also imported a WMA audio sound into PE11, over my AVI file, and it played just fine.

So, can you give me any advice as to how to get my volume back in PE 11?

• 18. Re: File won't play
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Magnificent news. Progress. Great job.

Now for the .avi sound. That .avi is just a file extension that represents what is called the container/wrapper format. The container format wraps the video and audio compression of the file. So we need to know the video as well as the audio compression here. Any chance you have a Xvid.avi? From the symptoms, the core of the issue appears to be in the properties of that specific .avi file. So, knowing all the properties of it are essential.

If Xvid.avi, the odds are in favor of the Xvid as the culprit. Xvid and Premiere Elements (any version) are bad news. If not Xvid, then we need to dig further for the cause.

Please remind me...when you import the avi file into the Expert workspace of the project and drag it to the Timeline, do you see a clip in the Audio 1 Track even if you cannot hear sound from it when you initiate playback of the Timeline in the Edit area monitor?

Looking forward to more good news.

ATR

• 19. Re: File won't play
                                              Cindyg22 Level 1

ATR, I am going to consider this project done.  I was able to complete the video project (GoPro MP4 to PE11) and publish it on YouTube.  I have sound, and the resolution is decent (considering how much I cropped).  I am happy with that.

I don't need to get the AVI files to work.  My son created the AVI file converter thinking that PE11 wouldn't work with the GoPro files; but what we found out was that the actual problem was actually much bigger than that.  Having resolved the actual problem, I don't need to convert the MP4 files to AVI.

(I'm sure you want to know what the final solution was, and honestly, I don't know.  When I realized I could not even play YouTube videos, my son tried things totally different than what I tried yesterday.)

Thank you SO MUCH for being here for me.  I am not a technical person, and my son doesn't know PE11 (and doesn't care to), so you kept us both pointed in the right direction, and I really appreciate that.

Here's the final video if you'd like to see my lovely horse again:  https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/posts/715211481930586

• 20. Re: File won't play
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Thanks for sharing your Facebook page and YouTube video Life with Oden.

Where was the GoPro camera for the recording? Premiere Elements titles came through good and sharp. The first scenes of the video were sharp (closer up views) but seem to get less sharp with the pan of you and Oden moving around the area (more distant shooting). I am not sure if that was related to the camera settings or to my computer viewing (I set YouTube settings to 480p for viewing for best possible viewing - looked like the max).

But, looking good. If you want and when you want, we could talk about video properties and project settings and export setting and all that, but right now I think that you are on a good path to enjoy Oden and captures the moments.

Best wishes to you and your son.

ATR

• 21. Re: File won't play
                                                  Cindyg22 Level 1

That video was shot with a GoPro, but not a helmet cam.  The GoPro has a far wider frame than the iPhone camera, and that makes it terrific for filming a ride in a pasture.  I have a mount that lets me snap the camera to a fence or a tree or whatever.

The best footage was when I was closer to the camera.  When I got further away from the camera, cropped more (via pan and zoom), and that part of the video was fuzzier.  It's not just your computer's resolution.  It's really fuzzier.

I would *love* to talk to you about optimal settings!!

What do you need to know to help me?

• 22. Re: File won't play
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Just mention the model and settings for the GoPro.

What I will try to get from that includes

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive (if the camera allows you the choice of interlaced or progressive footage, go with progressive for now)

File Extension (best gotten by just looking at the file extension in the file name of the file saved to the computer hard drive)

Pixel Aspect Ratio

There are video audio properties read out programs that can be downloaded and installed to get that information from the video, but it is quicker if you have the brand/model/settings from the camera that recorded the video.

All that type of information goes into deciding on what should be set for the project preset before the video is imported into the project.

You also need to keep in mind your goal - what is the intended export of that Timeline content...export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc.

ATR

• 23. Re: File won't play
                                                      Cindyg22 Level 1

My GoPro is a Hero 3+ Silver.

I'm not a technical person, so I don't really understand what the various settings mean.  Here's an article I bookmarked that gives some guidance on choosing settings.

I am initially using 1080, 30 FPS.  The reason for that is that the 1080 setting lets me choose a Field of Vision of either narrow, medium, and wide.  Many of the other settings don't give you a FOV choice.

My understanding is that the 30 FPS is for low light (cloudy days) and 60 FPS is for bright light (sunny days).

Output is for YouTube.  No DVDs.  And it's just for fun.  But video editing takes time, and it's more worth it if the result is crisp and clear, right? 

Tell me what else I can tell you.  And THANKS!

• 24. Re: File won't play
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Sorry for the delayed reply. Got detoured. Here is a Premiere Elements 11 Windows workflow to explore for your GoPro Hero 3+ footage which appears to be 1080p

(1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

1. We want the project preset to be:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

We can get that two ways - either you set it manually before you import your video into the project or you let the project set it automatically based on it matching one of its

project presets with the properties of that source media. Sometimes the project does it right, sometimes not. You go with the way that gives you the correct one. The correct one

in this instance should result with the following readings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

Cindy.JPG

If the project does not set the project preset correctly automatically, then you should start a new project and set the project preset yourself (manually) as

follows:

a. Open the program to a new project Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

b. In Change Settings, set for the above project preset. OK out of there.

c. In the New Project dialog that then opens, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

OK out of there.

d. Then back in the Expert workspace, import your source video into the project (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets with drag from there

to the Timeline).

If your Timeline represents less than 2 GB file size and 15 minutes duration, you should be able to upload that Timeline content to YouTube from the project's

Publish+Share

YouTube with the preset High Definition Video For YouTube - 1920 x 1080.

Alternatively..export your Timeline

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD with preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

This will give you a AVCHD.MP4 file saved to the computer hard drive. Then export that file from there to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

When your schedule permits, please update us on the outcome. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 25. Re: File won't play
                                                          Cindyg22 Level 1

Thanks!!

Today is the first day I made a video with the GoPro since you posted these instructions.  I followed them exactly, and I think it turned out OK.  Link here:  Forward Down - YouTube

One more question:  I don't think the color is right.  The sky was bluer and the grass was greener when I recorded.  Any advice on getting better color?  (I know how to use the color feature in PE, but I was hoping to get it to record the color more accurately.)

• 26. Re: File won't play
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Thanks for sharing your video. Looks great. The color could use some popping for the sharpness is much better and I was watching it at the lower YouTube viewing settings.

I do not know how well you can control it, but the time of day is an import factor in recording your videos. I am not sure of the Quality control on your camera. I will try to look that up if you have not already.

On the Premiere Elements side of things, looks at effects there to help..do not accept the default. If you have not already, edit the effect under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/and the Panel for the effect that will appear after you apply the effect to the clip. Explore all the effects and then pick out ones that you think will help

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Effects reference

Let me know how you do. I will try to post some examples of color popping in Premiere Elements.

To be continued.

ATR

• 27. Re: File won't play
                                                              Cindyg22 Level 1

OK, believe it or not, I had never explored there.  PE11 has been so unstable and unpredictable for me, I have been reluctant to try anything "fancy."  But I did find something like "saturate colors" (that might not be the actual name), and it worked great! 

Take a look!  Life with Oden - A characteristic sometimes assigned to... | Facebook

Thanks so much for your help, ATR! 

• 28. Re: File won't play
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy,

You did a great in getting those colors to pop in your video. Looked excellent.

Looks of good stuff under fx Effects Tab and also under Adjust Tab.

We are very pleased with your progress.

Let us know when and if we can be of assistance moving forward.

Best wishes

ATR

• 29. Re: File won't play
                                                                  Cindyg22 Level 1

Hi ATR.  I wonder if you could give me another pointer or two.  Everything we discussed above is going well.  The detail I would like to tweak now is that when I move away from the camera and use Pan and Zoom for a close up shot, the picture gets fuzzy.

If you would look at this example.

LFS Day 2 - YouTube

At 24 seconds, I am far from the camera, and the video loses detail.  Can you think of anything I can adjust, or is this simply the price I pay for using Pan and Zoom?

I'm continuing this thread rather than starting a new one because all the setting details are above.

Thanks again. 

• 30. Re: File won't play
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Tonight I did a Google search on GoPro and its focus. And there seems to be a known lens issue where anything within 4 ft is crystal clear and anything beyond

that gets blurry. Seem strange no focus to infinity. There were some scattered articles in which GoPro owners described some lens maneuvers. I do not know how much you can do in that regard without voiding a warranty on your camera. I post the following link for informational purposes only and are probably better ones that I have not yet found.

Amazon.com: A. Johnston's review of GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition

From what I saw of your video and in light of those online articles about GoPro focus, I suspect you are dealing with a known GoPro lens issue. You are probably

within warranty for your GoPro, so you should consider getting GoPro comments on this issue.

Could you do some measurements on how close you are to the camera when the video produced is sharp and then determine the extent of the blur at various distances

away from the camera.

Please let me know if I have interpreted correctly the details of the video that you are recording with the GoPro.

Looking forward to learning of further developments.

ATR

• 31. Re: File won't play
                                                                      Cindyg22 Level 1

Hey, thanks again ATR.  Interesting background on the complaints about GoPro.

But what I *thought* was happening was that my clear video was fuzzed by Pan and Zoom.  Maybe that's not the case.  Here's the very same footage twice, once zoomed, once not zoomed.

Test no zoom - YouTube

Test Zoom - YouTube

I know it's hard to say because the not-zoomed video is so distant.  But do you think I'm losing quality with Pan and Zoom?

The camera is up on a 7 foot ladder, and I'm working on an approximately 70-ft circle.  So, the initial moments are maybe 10 feet from the camera, and at the end, it's maybe 75 feet away. 

• 32. Re: File won't play
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

Thanks for the two clips, no zoom and zoom.

What is producing the zooms - Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool or just using the project's Scale property to zoom in on the more distance scenes?

Scaling....selecting the clip and then Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded's Scale slider

or scaling in the Edit area monitor by clicking the image in the monitor, getting the image's bounding box with handles, and then dragging on a bounding box

handle for the scaling?

I can envision lost quality depending on how much you needed to zoom in. If I have interpreted this correct, you might explore fx Effects/Blur & Sharpen/Sharpen

just a little to see if that improves the image clarity on the zoomed in content.

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 33. Re: File won't play
                                                                          Cindyg22 Level 1

I'm so glad I asked!  That worked perfectly!  And, no, I had never noticed that before.  (Effects, Sharpen.)  Duh!  Happy dance!

BTW, the zoom was done with the the Pan and Zoom tool.

Thank you so much for directing me to Effects, Sharpen!!

• 34. Re: File won't play
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindy

You have made my day with your wonderful news. Many thanks for that follow up.

By the way, if I have not mentioned before, the clarity of your videos and the color pop are getting better and better.

Best wishes

ATR