8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 9:37 AM by MEMNorthStar

how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?

MEMNorthStar

I have just downloaded PS and LR5 from Adobe CC. I was using Photoshop Elements 12. How can I import my keyword tags from the PSE Organizer. I saved them as .txt files but they will not import because they contain "special characters." What do I do?  Please do not tell me I have to start over... ~

• 1. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
          MEMNorthStar Level 1

Make that I saved them as .xml files which is the only option.

• 2. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
            dj_paige Level 9

No importing necessary.

No xml files necessary.

In Lightroom, select File  -> Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog

• 3. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
              MEMNorthStar Level 1

That was an absolute disaster! I tried to undue it but that was not an option. I should have known it was way too simple.  What I wanted to do was, as I stated, import my TAGS from Photoshop Elements NOT my pictures. Now, I overwrote my new Catalog, lost all the hard drive links to my external hard drives and completely lost the folder structure that I was using. I know I can get all these back but it will take lots of time and I STILL DON'T HAVE THE TAG STRUCTURE I WANT TO USE!!!

• 4. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
                dj_paige Level 9

Your Lightroom catalog from before is still there. Use File->Open Recent

• 5. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
                  ~IanB~ Level 1

LOL .......... sorry MEMN. I know and understand your feelings. Welcome to lightroom library.

The develop area is a breeze but I still stuff up in Library .

I have found a good old fashion lightroom book a great investment; I used scott kellby's but there are others

DJ knows his stuff so best to keep working with him.

• 6. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
                    MEMNorthStar Level 1

Thank you... Question remains -- is there a way to import tags from PSE 12?

• 7. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      is there a way to import tags from PSE 12

The PSE 12 Organizer and LR 5 use different file formats for exporting and importing keyword hierarchies. PSE uses XML format, while LR 5 uses a tab-separated format.  If you're a programmer or technically minded, you could convert from one to the other using your favorite scripting language.

But the approach suggested by dj_paige can be modified to accomplish what you want without scripting, by copying the keyword hierarchy from the "upgraded" LR catalog that was created from your PSE catalog to your "good" LR catalog:

1. Make a manual backup of your "good" LR catalog: Lightroom Help | Back up a catalog.

2. In LR, open the catalog that you created previously by upgrading (converting) the PSE catalog -- you can usually get to that catalog by doing File > Open Recent.

3. Go to grid view in the Library by doing Window > Library followed by View > Grid (usually you're already in Library grid view, but just in case...)

4. Make sure the Keyword List panel is showing on the right by doing Window > Panels > Keyword List.

5. You should see the keyword hierarchy from your PSE catalog.  If you don't, stop and post a screen shot of the entire LR screen.

6. Do Metadata > Export Keywords to export those keywords as a LR-format text file.

7. Open your "good" LR catalog by doing File > Open Recent.

8. Do Metadata > Import Keywords and select the file you exported in step 6.

9. All the keywords that were exported in step 6 will be added to the current catalog, and there will be duplicate keywords if there were already keywords of the same name in the catalog.  Those new keywords will not be attached to any existing photos in the current catalog.

• 8. Re: how do i import keyword tags from PSE12?
                        MEMNorthStar Level 1

Thank you! I am away today from the computer that has my photos but will

attempt this tomorrow. Given what I have already tried -- and failed with

-- these steps seem to make sense to me, plus your directions seem very

complete. Will let you know... Again, thanks. Wish I were more tech savvy

so I could convert the PSE tag files but I'm thinking you may have made

this move possible.

MEM

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:07 PM, John R. Ellis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>