8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 11:54 AM by trshaner

unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view

einserpasch Level 1

hello everybody,

i'm using the latest lightroom 5.7 in windows 8.1.

i have a 1920x1080px toshiba-laptop display and a 2560x1440px samsung-display

the small display is my primary one and the big display is my secondary one.

how can i unlock the 1:1 zoom position on my secondary display when i'm in loupe view?

on my primary screen it works fine.

but on my second display lightroom goes to the same zoom coordinates when i'm navigating through my pictures. so i can't compare details very good, when they are not at the same position in the next picture

to make it clear:

i am not talking about the locked loupe view.

i am taltking about the normal loupe view in which i am clicking on the (fullscreen - in my case) picture to get a 100% zoom of this image. an i want lightroom to remember the zoom position of every very image of the second display like it does in the loupe view of the primary display.

hope i made my problem clear.

best wishes,

clemens

image001.jpg

first image with 1:1 zoom

image002.jpg

right arrow key to move to second image. still 1:1 zoom with the zoom position locked (unfortunately). you see, that the top of the building is lower in this image than in the other.

image003.jpg

i move the zoom position in this image, to match it with the first one.

image004.jpg

left arrow key to get back to the first image. you see that the top of the building is not visible because the zoom position is locked. lightroom 5.7 does not remember the zoom position in each image on the second display (big, left). while the 1:1 zoom position in the primary display (small, right) stays, no matter the switching back and forth...

image005.jpgimage006.jpg

here you have the full images to see that the top of the building in the first image is closer to the upper border of the frame.

• 1. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
          Modesto Vega Level 1

Have you tried the other options on the secondary display, Normal or Live?

• 2. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
            einserpasch Level 1

hey,

i'm referring to the normal view.

in live view everything works differently. you can't even switch between the images when not moving the mouse cursor over the images in grid view on the first screen...

• 3. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
              Modesto Vega Level 1

I am not sure I fully understand your question. If you have a photo on the secondary display zoomed 1:1 on the top left corner and change photo, LR remembers the last used zoom coordinates. If you haven't move around the photo on the secondary display, the coordinates will be those you started with; if you have navigated around, they will be the last used coordinates. Are you expecting to be able to start always from fix coordinates on a 1:1 zoom on the secondary display?

Also, to fully inspect a photo on any display with any resolution at 1:1 you have to move around the photo. Obviously you have something is mind which is not clear at least to me.

• 4. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I'm seeing on my Windows 7 LR5.7 system is that the secondary display 1:1 Zoom image uses the most recent position setting when selecting multiple images.

EXAMPLE
                If I  position Image #1 in the top left corner and select Image #2 and position it in the lower lower leftcorner, Image #1 now shows the lower left corner, same as the most recent position setting used for Image #2.

The Secondary display does NOT retain different ZOOM position settings for each individual image file as in the Develop and Library modules.modules.

• 5. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
                  Modesto Vega Level 1

trshaner wrote:

What I'm seeing on my Windows 7 LR5.7 system is that the secondary display 1:1 Zoom image uses the most recent position setting when selecting multiple images.

EXAMPLE
                  If I  position Image #1 in the top left corner and select Image #2 and position it in the lower lower leftcorner, Image #1 now shows the lower left corner, same as the most recent position setting used for Image #2.

The Secondary display does NOT retain different ZOOM position settings for each individual image file as in the Develop and Library modules.modules.

Yes, I believe that is what I said: it uses the last used zoom coordinates (from the last viewed picture). Indeed it does not retain individual zoom settings for individual pictures. My apologies if "(from the last viewed picture)"  was not clear enough. I still don't understand the behaviour the OP is expecting.

• 6. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view

Just wanted to clarify that the "the last used zoom coordinates" is "from the last viewed picture," as you stated in the above post.

I also wanted to make it clear this is NOT the way it works in the Develop and Library module loupe. I believe this is the issue that the OP is referring to, "how can i unlock the 1:1 zoom position on my secondary display when i'm in loupe view?" In the posted images the subject (as shot) is moved slightly in each frame.

The only solution I can think of is to use Live mode in the Secondary display with LR in the Library module. Make sure 1:1 Previews have been built for all images to be reviewed. Use the mouse cursor to navigate between images in the filmstrip at the bottom of the Library module and to reposition the area of interest. It's quick way for reviewing multiple images at any Zoom setting, since it doesn't exhibit the performance issues many people are experiencing with dual-display configurations.

• 7. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view
                      Modesto Vega Level 1

trshaner wrote:

Just wanted to clarify that the "the last used zoom coordinates" is "from the last viewed picture," as you stated in the above post.

No problem, it is good to be precise.

trshaner wrote:

I also wanted to make it clear this is NOT the way it works in the Develop and Library module loupe. I believe this is the issue that the OP is referring to, "how can i unlock the 1:1 zoom position on my secondary display when i'm in loupe view?" In the posted images the subject (as shot) is moved slightly in each frame.

What do you exactly mean with the above? I think I know but I have never tried to verbalised it as I rarely use the Library module in the way described by the OP; einserpasch seems to have a photo composition in mind and seems to be comparing different photos of the same subject to see if he needs to crop a photo with better detail it to get to his composition. But perhaps, I have misread his original post.

• 8. Re: unlock zoom position on second display in loupe view

Modesto Vega wrote:

trshaner wrote:

What do you exactly mean with the above?

The Primary Loupe view in the Library and Develop modules uses the Zoom position for each individual image. Suppose you want to check the sharpness of an object in three identical landscape shots, but the horizon is slightly higher of lower in all three. Using the Secondary Loupe It is impossible to "center" an object to quickly compare the three slightly different image files. In the Primary Loupe you simply click on the specific object of interest with magnifying glass cursor and they will stay in the same centered Zoom position in all three slightly different image files.