12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 11:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Trying to find my saved file.

glennpsychdoc Level 1

i have indicated my desktop for my designated place to save a file in 13 while Iworking in Publish and Share in the Computer section. After the movie is finished being saved I am unable to find the movie. I designated that it be placed on my desktop but after trying it twice the movie can not be found.  Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Just before you hit Save in the Publish+Share/Computer/ choice area, what is the exact wording in the field for Save in: and the field for File Name?

ATR

• 2. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
            glennpsychdoc Level 1

Hi AT,

Actually I only used the section under Publish and Share in the Computer section and told it to save on the desktop. When I did that I could not find it. Last evening I told the program to save it on the desktop but in a specific folder. Got up this morning and checked it and it was found in the folder. I don’t understand that but telling the program to save it to a specific folder instead of just on the desktop worked. Any ideas as to why? As always, many thanks.

Glenn

• 3. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Thanks for the update and the good news part about success with the saving to folder on the computer desktop.

You should be able to save your file from the export to the desktop as a file or as a file in a specific desktop folder.

My initial thoughts are

a. how crowded with icons is the desktop

b. did you give your file a distinctive name so that you can spot it in a crowd? If you do not give the export a name, you

will end up with a file name with Untitled in the file name - something like Untitled.mp4 or Untitled.mov etc. Have you

explored any "Untitled...." files on the desktop in search of your export that was to the desktop and not to a folder

on the desktop?

Please review and consider. If the above does not apply, I will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                glennpsychdoc Level 1

Hi AT,

I wil address your notes in the body of your email. Thanks again for your

help.

Glenn

Glenn Bailey, Ph.D., M.A.

Licensed Psychologist

"A merry heart does good like medicine." Proverbs 17:22a

• 5. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                  glennpsychdoc Level 1

AT,

I did find it on my desktop but it was hidden. It took some searching but it

was there buried under some other files. Sorry to have bothered you but all

is well.

Glenn

Glenn Bailey, Ph.D., M.A.

Licensed Psychologist

"A merry heart does good like medicine." Proverbs 17:22a

• 6. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Right now my computer desktop is a "mess" with files and folders. Needs major dust busting. So, that was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned files

that went missing on your computer desktop.

Never a bother with any questions...if you do not have an answer for a question, it is an important question.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                      glennpsychdoc Level 1

Hello AT,

I do have another issue which you may have experience with. I find that often I will be working on a film and there will be no audio on a section of the film that I had inserted into a movie that I am editing. It was there when I initially inserted that particular clip into the movie but then when I go back to check it, the audio is gone. I had not done anything to do with that particular clip. I then have to go and delete that clip and reinsert the same clip into the same section in order for the audio to play. This is a common occurrence and I am befuddled as to why it happens yet it is not a consistent problem but does occur frequently.

The other issue is that the platform is often unstable and will crash causing me to have to reopen the program. Could this be a memory issue?

Any insights into these two issues?

Thanks,

Glenn

• 8. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Not sure if involved, but there is a known probable which I believe is related mostly to Premiere Elements 12. It is the situation where you lose sound from numbered audio tracks and soundtrack once you have added a clip to the Narration Track using the program's Narration Tool. Does that appear to apply to your situation?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/06/pe12-audio-losses-after-narration.html

If not that, have you been moving, deleting, or renaming files/folders associated with those audio clips after the project has been saved closed? Any, "Where is the file.....?" messages?

What is the format of those audio clips - mp3 or wav? If .mp3, you might try using just wav files instead.

For program instability,

a. look for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video and do some computer clean up if indicated...check the free hard drive space at the location where the Scratch Disks are directed

b. look for a pattern of program instability onsets, trying to identify trends in the poor performance cause and effect.

c. check your computer resources in general to determine if too many demands on them

d. there is an orange ban that runs horizontally through the middle of an audio and video clip - called rubberband. My default the video rubberband is for Opacity and the audio rubberband is for Volume. Double check that you are not moving that rubberband around with misplaced mouse cursor moves.

Please review and consider and then we will evaluate the situation some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                          glennpsychdoc Level 1

Thanks AT, I will take a look at your suggestions and get back to you. There is an error message that comes up that will cause 13 to crash. That message reads:

[/Adobe/pre/main/MediaCore/Backend/Make/Mac/../../Src/FileCache.cpp-988)

Should this be addressed to Adobe or Apple?

Glenn

• 10. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

That sounds like an Adobe matter.

For now, I can ask only the generic questions until I research this further...

a. Where are your source media and the project file stored - on the computer or an external hard drive?

b. How about the matter of pile ups...any help there after a checking of and clean out if necessary?

c. When you get a project that has a tendency to crash, try making a copy of the project and working from

the copy? I recall someone posting about the FileCache cc-988 as part of an issue. That ID claimed the

solution was to archive the project and then work from the copied project file and its source media in the archived folder.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                              glennpsychdoc Level 1

Hi AT,

I will get back to you on your questions probably this evening due to my work schedule but is there a contact I can make at Adobe to send them this error message?

Glenn

• 12. Re: Trying to find my saved file.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn

Thanks for the reply.

The situation with Adobe and its Support portals for Premiere Elements (even for 13) seem ill defined. Apparently not so for Premiere Pro.

If you use the following and travel down the path to the Premiere Elements support opportunities

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

you will likely end up with an Ask the Community (gets you back here) instead of an Adobe Chat Panel for contact with Adobe.

You could try.

The frequency of appearance in this forum of Adobe Staff or PRE_help team (for insider information) is not defined. Whether or not a

Premiere Elements 13 issue will draw one of them into a thread is questionable.

The File Cache cpp 988 error can be found in various threads online. If no help elsewhere, we can try to find an answer in

them or in exploring generic Premiere Elements solutions.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR