3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 1:47 PM by JPiez

Custom text - help needed

JPiez

Hi Guys, I've got to design a Family Tree for a client and they want a very particular style. An arc sits at the bottom centre of the page, and inside the arc there are two names/birthdays/deaths/marriages etc. At right angles outside the arc, more names/births/deaths/marriages are listed. For each new generation there will be a new arc, and each new name etc will be at right angles to the arc below, no matter where they sit on the arc. I've done a really rough example of what they want.

So basically my question is this: can it be done easily? (typing on text paths, scripts etc etc..)  I really don't want to have to put each new name into an individual text box and rotate to the correct angle, if I can help it. There are up to 8 generations and several hundred names. Family tree goes back to early 1800's...

Screen Shot 2015-01-05 at 4.18.09 PM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Custom text - help needed
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          • Prepare a dummy,
          • Select all items
          • Create a Library document and place all items there (together in one item).
          • When you reuse it, go to the menu of the library and place item.

You could use a snippet export and place snippet instead.

What also is possible, but I would not recommend it for other reasons: Bulid up a master with placeholder frames and use this for each page.

• 2. Re: Custom text - help needed
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It looks like a great opportunity to write a script. After all, it's all just maths; the names 'above' the root can evenly be distributed by dividing the available arc (180°) by the number of names (3), resulting in a separation of 60°, and the initial angle should be half that of that separation. So the first name is at 30°, the second at 90°, the third at 150°, and then there is a remainder of 30° again for the right side.

These same values should be used for the next layer of this onion (family trees can be smelly too), but this time I think the content should be centered on that angle, so the angle for each single line depends on the number of lines in that branch.

It sounds perfectly doable with a script, apart for one thing: how are you going to point out what texts must go where?

• 3. Re: Custom text - help needed
              JPiez Level 1

Thanks guys, will have a look at both options and see how I go!

Cheers