6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 11:00 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements

stegeler

I have PE 13 (recently installed on a system that also has PE 10)

I archived in PE 10 to a location, openend up the project with PE 13 and it appears to open just fine.  I then save and close it and try to open it up a 2nd time and it fails with the error: "Project Not compatible with current version of premier elements"

I attempted to move all the media outside of the "Copied_XXX" folder per the troubleshooting steps, but it still fails even with all the media in a different location.  Funny thing is that it knows about the media still because it appears in the loading content status bar at the very bottom left of the screen.  it completes all 600 or so loads, but they are definitely not on timeline or listed in project assets.

Windows 7 Professional is the OS.

• 1. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stegeler

There is no guarantee that a project created in an earlier version will open in a later one. The classical recommendation is to finish a project in the version in which it is created.

If you do want to try to edit the project created in the earlier version in the later version, then make sure to work from a copy of the original. Once you edit the project created in the earlier version in the later version, you cannot go back to edit the later version edited project in the earlier version.

If you have your Premiere Elements 10 project archived, then you do not want to go moving copies of the project's source media outside that Copied Folder. The copy of the project file in that folder needs to trace back to that copied media in that Copied Folder. What you are seeing in Premiere Elements 13 is probably conforming of audio and video files, processing of rendered files, and such, maybe even some indexing. You do not want to proceed in Premiere Elements 13 until you do not see any further activity in the progress bar at the bottom right of the workspace. Have Premiere Elements 10 and 13 been on the same computer?

How did you open the project file in the Copied Folder - right clicked the project file, Open With, and then selected Adobe Premiere Elements 13? What is the duration of the Timeline of the original project in 10?

Have you been working with a copy of the Copied Folder and its contents?

More on this in the morning.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
            stegeler Level 1

This is an "Archived" copy.  So in the folder where the project exists, it contains all the media in that project.  It opens fine one time in PE 13.  Then after saving it, it becomes corrupted.  The reason i moved the media outside the folder was just a test to see if one of the media files was corrupting (per an adobe troubleshooting guide that i found online).

this happens whether i open from within PE, or by clicking on the project file direclty

• 3. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stegeler

Thanks for the reply.

Once you have used that copy of the project file in the Copied Folder (v8) in Premiere Elements 13, you should not be able to open it again in 8 if you think that you want to start all over in the 8 to 13 process. That is what I wanted to convey.

After the one time opening of the 8 project in 13, did you give the saved 13 project a different name? Have you checked the 13 Scratch Disks to determine where they are now pointing - to 8 areas or 13 areas?

I will think about this some more in the morning when I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
                stegeler Level 1

I believe i have found the root cause of the issue.  I create a disc menu prior to saving it in PE 13 and it fixed it. 

The menus that were defined prior (in PE 10) are not apart of the archiving function, and therefore I believe the menu definition (or lack of pointers to the original menu type) was causing the issue.

I did an additional test by just going to the screen where you define a menus (not chosing one, just going to that screen) and that appears to have solved the corruption as well. Hopefully this helps others that may run into this and for your QE department if they can add this software testing.

• 5. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stegeler

I was about to call it a day when I saw your reply.

Interesting report.  Consider... menus are part of the archiving process but they are embedded in the project file. So, whichever menu you used in 10 would have had to be "content downloaded" in 13 for it to appear...that is if the 10 menu had a counterpart in 13.

Please review the following....

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/07/pe12-archiving-projects-with-disc-menus.html

Previously if this consideration were not included, worst that I have seen is the menu not appearing in the later version project, not preventing it from opening. But in those cases, I was going from same version to same version and not earlier version to later version scenario.

Just a reminder...this is not Adobe. Rather a user to user forum. The frequency of an Adobe presence in this forum is not defined.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 13 - Project not compatible with current version of premier elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

stegeler

Just a typing error back in post 3...that should have been (v10) and not (v8).

Once you have used that copy of the project file in the Copied Folder (v8) in Premiere Elements 13

ATR