14 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2015 1:49 PM by baileys47537501

Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview

mwallace01

I've just started a project in Premiere Pro CC, and only have a few clips in place, but when I preview, it will play through once (usually) and then if I make an adjustment and try to preview again, it will crash. Sometimes it crashes the first time. I have updated Windows 8.1 and the drivers for my video card, and the same thing happens. QuickTime is the latest version as well.

When I check the Event Viewer for Windows, there are a couple of different errors:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486db4a

Faulting module name: VideoFilterHost.dll, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486bf85

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486db4a

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting application name: plugin-container.exe, version: 34.0.5.5443, time stamp: 0x5475dd5d

Faulting module name: mozalloc.dll, version: 34.0.5.5443, time stamp: 0x5475d664

Exception code: 0x80000003

Frustrating. Any help appreciated.

Mark

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
          wallmg35

I guess this isn't really the site to come to for help for my problem? Any other suggestions? This is an expensive piece of software not to work right out of the box. Disappointed.

Mark

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
            wallmg35 Level 1

OK, this is bogus. I'm just realizing that the only support Adobe offers is the forum, but there's no help from the forum. So does that mean I'm stuck with this expensive software that doesn't work? What a ridiculous business model.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
              breakpointCXVII

Maybe change the Renderer Mercury Playback engine to something different? Switch between CUDA, OpenCL, and Software Only and see it anything helps.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                mwallace01 Level 1

Hey, thanks for the response, but the renderer option is set at Mercury and is grayed out, so it won't let me change it to anything else. How to I get it ungrayed so I can change it?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                  mwallace01 Level 1

I'm a pretty patient person, but this is ridiculous. Can't use the software that's been paid for. I see Adobe responding to others who are having similar problems on a Mac, but I get no help.

A little more on my system, if that helps:

HP Envy laptop with Intel i7 processor.

Graphics card in this system is Intel HD Graphics 4000.

3D setting has Application Optimal Mode enabled and "Balanced" mode set, which is the one between "Performance" and "Quality."

Any help appreciated.

Mark

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                    mwallace01 Level 1

How can I get my money back?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                      breakpointCXVII Level 1

Hey mwallace01, my apologies for not following up sooner. To un-gray the Mercury option there are hacks documented on youtube which involve modifying the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file to add your graphics card. However, I'm not sure this is the root of your problem. I've noticed is that your gfx card is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and I believe that is an embedded gpu on your motherboard which simply may not be sufficient to run Premiere or After Effects, but you can try editing the .txt file at your own risk. Since Macs have a more closed/controlled/narrow/(whatever you want to call it) business model/environment, there are less variables and (I'm guessing here) easier to troubleshoot with much less variation in hardware. Secondly, if you are going to edit that file, you need more than just adding "Intel HD Graphics 4000" to the file, you also may need to find the version/revision numbers and a few other small (but necessary) details for it to recognize the card. You might need to go to the Device Manager in Windows and possibly use GPUID as well. Watch a few tutorials before you decided to continue with this step.

As for a refund, you should start a whole new ticket/forum post altogether or email customer support.

Hope this can help resolve your issues and hopefully someone with better knowledge may jump into this discussion!

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hello Mark,

I'm a pretty patient person, but this is ridiculous. Can't use the software that's been paid for. I see Adobe responding to others who are having similar problems on a Mac, but I get no help.

I see you probably aren't aware of our support options. Go here for official support: Contact Customer Care

Click the large blue button. When you get connected, ask for the "video queue."

Sorry you couldn't get help with your issue right away on the forum. There are very few staff members on the forum, most of them volunteers. It is impossible for us to get to each and every post, so that's why I suggest contacting support if you can't get adequate help here within a reasonable amount of time.

...when I preview, it will play through once (usually) and then if I make an adjustment and try to preview again, it will crash. Sometimes it crashes the first time. I have updated Windows 8.1 and the drivers for my video card, and the same thing happens. QuickTime is the latest version as well.

Do you have the Google Chrome extension "Pushbullet" installed in your computer? If so, uninstall it.

Do you have Windows Service Pack 1 installed? If not, install it.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                          zak1865

Were you able to figure anything out with this problem?  It sounds like I am experiencing the same problem.  High RAM usage and random crashes, even on the most simple of projects.

I had an older system that PPRO CC worked perfectly with and then I upgraded the motherboard and CPU.  Now I am constantly getting Windows messages saying that Windows is low on memory and I should close programs.  I limited the RAM available in the preferences and still get the message.  There were no problems with the older, less powerful system with the exact same RAM.  I have run burn in tests that max out the RAM without any failures and RAM previewing the same project in After Effects works perfectly fine.  GoPro studio and Encoder also preview/render things perfectly fine . 

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                            zak1865 Level 1

When you follow that link, the only option it gives you is the view these forums.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                              mwallace01 Level 1

Just now getting a chance to revisit this, and to answer your questions: No, I don't have the Chrome extension installed that you mention, and yes, I'm running Windows 8.1.

Any other ideas. I'm using old video clips I had on my system. Could that have anything to do with it?

Checking the system requirements, I meet all of them as far as I can tell, so Premiere should run on my system.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Mark,

Just now getting a chance to revisit this, and to answer your questions: No, I don't have the Chrome extension installed that you mention, and yes, I'm running Windows 8.1.

Any other ideas. I'm using old video clips I had on my system. Could that have anything to do with it?

Checking the system requirements, I meet all of them as far as I can tell, so Premiere should run on my system.

I have a feeling there may be something wrong with the GPU. Can you to to Project Settings and set the Renderer to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only? That has worked for other customers.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                                  mwallace01 Level 1

I guess you didn't see the earlier post in this thread where someone suggesting something similar and I told them that the options to make changes in that preference are grayed out. They suggested possibly doing some kind of hack work to unlock those options. Might be above my head, but do you recommend giving that a try?

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 crashes upon preview
                                    baileys47537501

Kevin,

I've been having the same problem as OP and it looks like your solution just fixed it ~thanks!