9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 12:07 PM by MW Design

missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2

dwightwalker

When I opened an InDesign file it says 11 fonts are missing. I clicked 'Find Fonts'.

I tried to fix missing fonts but they revert to Minion Pro or change all missing fonts to same font:

Select:

[Frutiger (T1) 45 Light] (selected)

etc (not selected)

etc (not selected)

Replace with:

Frutiger

45 Light

Change all

Done

Result:

All fonts now are replaced by:

Frutiger 45 Light

instead of different fonts for different fonts.

I have all matching fonts on disk (Windows) except basic Frutiger.

"Change all" seems to change all pages with fonts to new font messing up layout.

There should be a simple way to select fonts and replace them one by one instead of replacing all the fonts with the same font.

I can't remember how I used to do this as it has been a few months since I opened the InDesign INDD file.

• 1. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Change all changes all instances were the selected font is used, and if activated you can change paragraph styles with that font too.

Did you use Paragraph and Character Styles?, otherwise you are always getting a mess.

• 2. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
            dwightwalker Level 1

I used 'change all' and 'redefine...' to change the missing fonts in the styles for each missing font one by one.

The InDesign file came from a laptop with T1 fonts.

The new laptop does not have T1 so I had to rename fonts in the styles using 'change all' and 'redefine...' to match the fonts on the laptop I am on.

I found a video to tell me how to use 'change all' for each font and slowly the missing fonts reduced till there were none left.

InDesign Training : How to Replace Missing Fonts in Adobe InDesign CS5 - YouTube

Yes I changed the Paragraph styles with 'redefine...' while doing 'change all' for missing font with new font.

• 3. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
              dwightwalker Level 1

This caused reflow errors so the new fonts destroyed the layout of the book by moving text towards the front by reducing leading (space between lines). The new font was a little less high than the previous font.

The fonts are spread all through the book with modification locally so it will be a slow process to reset the entire book due to the fonts being changed so widely using 'find fonts' tool. It is dangerous! I only picked up the damage of changing fonts wholesale when I looked at the PDF generated using the new fonts and saw all sorts of messup of layout and design - chaos!

I will have to find the right fonts or have to reset the entire book or the layout and index will not be right. The right fonts seem to be on the laptop but the effect of the fonts is much different on Windows 8.1 than Windows 7 causing reflow.

This was caused by moving from Windows 7 with Adobe InDesign CC 6 to Windows 8.1 with Adobe InDesign 2014.

Funnily the InDesign document with missing fonts exported to PDF fine. It makes me wonder if missing fonts are only necessary for a printer.

• 4. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First off, I'm sure the leading itself did not change, as that is not a font attribute. I don't doubt, though, that other font metrics changed.

That said, it's also likely that switching from CS6 to a newer version would also have caused line endings to move -- there are always differences in the text engines from version to version. Since you have a subscription, there is nothing that prevents you from installing CS6 and continuing to use it for this project, and I recommend that you do so.

• 5. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
                  MW Design Level 4
                  First off, I'm sure the leading itself did not change, as that is not a font attribute. I don't doubt, though, that other font metrics changed.

Just a note. Leading can/will change if it is expressed as a percentage in ID. Each font, and many revisions to fonts, have an attribute in them that the percentage value ID can use is calculated from.

Mike

• 6. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2

Mike, can you explain that? I was under the impression that percentage values were based on the point size of the type, so if you don't change that, the leading should not be changing.

I'd love to see an example....

• 7. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
                      MW Design Level 4

Hah. I should have never dashed off that post. I was, of course, dead wrong. Yes, the typical 120% (unless one changes that) is calculated on point size and nothing else.

I confounded what can happen due to the character widths for a same size other font causing reflow when changing fonts. I had to leave in a hurry the other day following an all-nighter and should have engaged the ol' noggin' writing that post.

Mike

• 8. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2

OK. I feel better, I think.  So you agree now that leading would not change, though font metrics probably would including set width, x-height (which will give the impression of deffirent leading due to the increased or decreased amount of white space above the glyphs in the type slug) and ascender, descender, and cap heights, and font kerning.

• 9. Re: missing fonts in InDesign CC 9.2.2
                          MW Design Level 4

Yep, it's a visual thing. Different character sizes = more/less white space, still the same leading values.

And, like mentioned, reflow possible/likely due to different character widths (even if ID manages tracking or it is completely shut off).

Mike