6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 7:43 AM by Peter Spier

Printing an image on a book's page edges

avisar Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way (indesign plug-in or manual technique) to split an image across all the edges of the pages in a book- in a way similar to this example:

every page has a 3mm piece on the edge with the image slightly moving, this way creating the effect when the book is bended.

thanks!

1(36).jpgfore-edge-printing.jpg

• 1. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would talk to the printer before you do anything.

• 2. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
            avisar Level 1

Thanks, bob.

This technique im looking for is printed on the page itself, and not on the side as it may seem-

so as long as i leave a bleed, there's no problem to do this, as long as the printer is concerned.

• 3. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
              Derek Cross Level 6

I wouldn't have thought that would work, but who knows.

Maybe silk screening the book-block before casing, might work

Please report back your results after you've tried whatever you do!

• 4. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

avisar wrote:

This technique im looking for is printed on the page itself, and not on the side...

Well obviously, it will have to be progressively "stepped" on each page and included with the rest of the content. I think the only way to automate it would be to place the graphic on a master page, frame-crop, override all, then apply some custom scripting to induce the incremental offset on each page in succession.

• 5. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

avisar wrote:

Bob Levine wrote:

Thanks, bob.

This technique im looking for is printed on the page itself, and not on the side as it may seem-

so as long as i leave a bleed, there's no problem to do this, as long as the printer is concerned.

Yes, but what about the creep? Obviously you want the bleeding edge as small as possible; but a lot of bleed disappears when folding.

Creep occurs when printed sheets are folded. The inner pages of the same sheet have very little creep, but for the outer pages it may be in the millimeters range. The actual amount depend on the stock & weight of paper, the folding used, and the total number of pages per sheet ... and is different for each set of pages!

• 6. Re: Printing an image on a book's page edges
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually this might be a lot easier to control if the binding is perfect bound, and the printing is done in blocks rather than folded signatures since the position wouldn't need to change to accommodate creep in the page position. There's still a need to move the image inside the frame along the page edge incrementally, though.