7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 2:06 PM by DirtyDutchx

Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?

DirtyDutchx

I have to do a school project and I came with an idea. Without any details, I want to shatter an imagine of myself behind my computer. (it only shatters me becuase I masked me out of the picture.) And then move all the shattered pieces into my computer screen. But I have no idea how to do that, I tried some of the distort effects, and even tried the options in the shatter effect but nothing worked for me. Maybe an effect or an option that can do this for me? Please help!

(Im kind of a noob with After Effects since I've been using it for not so long.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want shattered pieces to reassemble themselves into an image you have to pre-compose your shatter layer moving all attributes to the new composition, then enable time remapping and time reverse the clip. Here's what I would do to get an image off the computer screen to morph back on the computer screen. \

1. Set up the initial position of the image in relation to the computer screen with the image on a layer above the computer screen
          2. Move the CTi down the timeline far enough to allow the image to shatter and then apply Corner pin to the image to fit it to the computer screen.
          3. Precompose the image layer making sure you move all elements to the new composition
          4. Apply shatter to the pre-composed image layer to make it break into pieces
          5. Pre-compose the Pre-comp making sure you move all elements to the new composition
          6. Apply time remapping to the pre-composed shatter layer
          7. Move the CTI to the point where you want the pieces to start re-assembling themselves on the computer screen and set a keyframe for time remapping
          8. Move the CTI to the point where the pieces should be reassembled on the computer screen
          9. Copy the first time remapping keyframe
          10. Paste the keyframe at the current CTI position
          11. Delete the keyframe at the end of the shatter pre-comp
          12. Fine tune the timing and physics of shatter and time remapping to get the effect you want

There you go. That will do it unless I'm missing what you want to do.

• 2. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?
            DirtyDutchx Level 1

Thank you for responding so quickly!

I think that is not what I ment. I dont know iff I explained it right, my bad. Maybe iff I give more details I can explain what I want to do.

Its a scene where I am sitting behind my computer. I enter some code into my computer, I freeze, shatter into pieces. Those pieces freeze in the air for a second or two and then fly into my screen. (as iff I am getting sucked into my computer.)

Is this also possible?

Again thank you for your time

• 3. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make the you layer shatter using the Shatter Effect or the Pixel Poly effect or however you want to do it.

Then animate the position and scale of the you layer to go into the computer screen and/or add some distortion effects to make it look like it's sucking you in.

• 4. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?

I would use exactly the same technique I described with time remapping because that will expand the particles and then contract them into a smaller space. It sounds like you want to shutter something and then make the pieces come back together and move into the computer screen. Pre-composing then time remapping a shutter layer is exactly the way to do this. You may not need to use corner pin, but everything else applies.

• 5. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think he wants the pieces to reassemble; I think he just wants the pieces to fly into the computer screen.

• 6. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?

They need to get a little smaller and closer together as they go into the screen so time remapping would expand and contract them. You would not need to go all the way to fully reassembled.

I did exactly what I need to scribe just a few weeks ago except I disassembled an actor and then squish the swarm into a ball of dots using corner pin squeeze it into a smart phone screen.

• 7. Re: Shatter an image, then move all the pieces into an specific direction, how?
                      DirtyDutchx Level 1

Yes I want the pieces to fly into the screen and then disapear, Im am now trying my best to edit it. So when I have any more problems I'll ask again. Thank you both!