10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 1:32 PM by Brownfieldnews

Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?

Brownfieldnews

I udpated to newest OS and InDesign 2014 and now I get the spinning wheel and tehn usually it stops responding.

Sometimes I ca use disk utility and repair permissions and it helps for a litel while.. 30 minutes maybe.,

I have used onyx as well and rebuilt the dyld files and that helps for a while as well.

I work in a newspaper adn we are using this program all the time.. VERY FRUSTRATING!

This is now happening on at least 2 machines

Russ

• 1. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
          Doc Maik Level 4

You seem to blame that on Adobe. Why? You didn't mention what hardware you are on, PC or Mac, but from "updated to newest OS" it is supposed to be MacOS X. Means, you also changed your system, drastically.

In this case, like the many other users with problems after updating to Yosemite, it is to blame on Apple. Or, as I see it, on the user who blindly installs every new piece of software he can get, crying afterwards if anything isn't working anymore as expected. Doh!

• 2. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
            Brownfieldnews Level 1

I am not oblivious to the effects an OS change can make on software.  I

do not "blame" adobe.  I do believe it is a combination.  Rarely is it

one or the other alone.  I have been on the phone with adobe tech

support, apple tech support and also independent study to determine the

cause of this issue. I also posted on this forum to get feedback and

helpful advice, not criticism.

So in the same tone as your comments to me, I respond to you:

I do not blindly install every update.  I do expect apple to release a

stable OS, as that is the basis of their company.. It's what separates

them from windows products and all their products hinge on their OS.  I

also do not hold Adobe to any less of a standard.  They should make sure

what they produce and sell is compatible with the OS to the best of

their ability.  Both should offer quick helpful solutions when something

goes wrong.

As to the "crying" statement... I am not crying. I am trying to discover

a solution to a problem on a computer and software I own and depend on

for my business.  Which by the way, I depend on to do my job and from

which my customers expect a quality product....as do I from my software

and OS.

I do apologize if there was not "enough" information for your to

enlighten me with the correct answer to fix my problem... even though

Apple and Adobe are giving me conflicting advice on how to fix the exact

same issue.  Oh... and did I mention that I sought

advise/help/discussion from an adobe forum in which I received criticism

for how I worded a question?

I have perused the forums before and found good discussion and answers

from users who take pride in what they do and the products they use.  So

I apologize to those who use this forum properly with the desire to find

answers and those who seek to honestly help others from their own

experiences and expertise.  This is not an indictment on the entire

system.. just those who choose to use it to place themselves above

others and offer no advise, only criticism.

• 3. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you did indeed perform an in place upgrade of the operating system, that is nothing short of a crapshoot. The only reliable method is a clean install.

So, since you're looking for advice, that's mine. Back up everything, sign out of Creative Cloud and do a clean install of Yosemite, followed by the installation of any software you need.

FWIW, I did this on my MacBook Air and everything runs flawlessly.

• 4. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Oh, and please take into account that not everyone active in this forum speaks English as a first language. I think in your frustration over your issues you read way too much into Doc's response.

• 5. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                  Brownfieldnews Level 1

I do apologize.  I had not considered that.

So Doc I am sorry.

I appreciate your your help.

• 6. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                    Doc Maik Level 4

To explain myself: Brownfieldnews, you are not the first one who did what you did to have such hassle. Many, if not most problems described here are based on a system update which seems to be, for me as a Windows user, a sport of Apple users. A sport to install every MacOS update that Apple releases, no matter what effect it can have. If you do that with your home Mac - no problem. If you do that with your job Mac and you cannnot continue for hours and even days - it is your fault.

The context of your initial post read like this: "Installed system update, now Adobe tools fail, me frustrated." For me, you clearly blame Adobe, because you come here to tell everyone. If a clean install can help, like Bob suggests, good. But for other users it didn't help and thus I try to "wake" them with my rude words to not blindly install every system update. Perhaps you are not the one to do so, but many others are.

• 7. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                      Brownfieldnews Level 1

In the console at the time InDesign stopped responding this showed up:

1/9/15 11:09:10.832 AM CEPHtmlEngine[4550]: ---exit_code=-1---

1/9/15 11:09:10.833 AM CEPHtmlEngine[4550]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

1/9/15 11:09:10.940 AM CEPHtmlEngine Helper[4553]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

1/9/15 11:09:11.003 AM CEPHtmlEngine Helper[4553]: The function ‘CGFontSetShouldUseMulticache’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

If i read this right it looks like their is a function that MAC OS Yosemite does not use anymore? And InDesign does?  Could this cause the issues I have been having?

• 8. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

How did you install InDesign? From a migration or direct from the CC ap?

• 10. Re: Indesign goes from spinning wheel to stop responding?
                          Brownfieldnews Level 1

I used adobe creative cloud on a full download.