2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2007 11:39 PM by Michael_QA

Windows Vista

Michael_QA
      Hi,
      My name is Michael. I work in the QA department.
      I was asked to test one of our products in the new operating system Windows Vista. Our product was developed in Macromedia Director, in lingo script. It was tested on different operating systems (Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP) and it works correctly.
      When I tested it on Windows Vista, I found some problems that are unclear:

1. Although I log in the operating system as administrator, I get a message box at the end of the installation of our product. This message box says "Copy Error 2". After closing the installation process, Windows Vista starts its Compatibility Application. I have to choose my program and configure it to be run as administrator.
      After configuring Windows Vista to run my program (and install it) as administrator, the installation process is completed successfully.

Please, do you know if it is possible to avoid this process? How can this process be simplified to home users that use our product?
      Is there something that could help our technical support to deal with Windows Vista clients?

2. I get to a part in our product, where a text paragraph (read aloud by a narrator) is presented. When the narrator finishes reading the paragraph, another paragraph is displayed and so on.
      The problem is that the program gets stuck when the first paragraph appears. No sound is played and the program does not proceed.

Please, do you know if Windows Vista does not support Shockwave sound files?
      May be Windows Vista timing performance is different from other Windows versions?
      May be the memory administration of Windows Vista is different? Do applications created by Macromedia Director require changes on their memory administration?

I will be grateful to know the answer to these questions.
      I will thank you too, if you can help me to find information regarding Windows Vista issues: lists of xtras and lingo functions that are not supported by this new operating system, possible solutions and changes required to work with Vista.

Thank you,
      Michael.
        • 1. Re: Windows Vista
          Level 7
          Michael_QA wrote:
          > When I tested it on Windows Vista, I found some problems that are
          > unclear:
          >
          > 1. Although I log in the operating system as administrator, I get a
          > message box at the end of the installation of our product. This
          > message box says "Copy Error 2". After closing the installation
          > process, Windows Vista starts its Compatibility Application. I have
          > to choose my program and configure it to be run as administrator.
          > After configuring Windows Vista to run my program (and install it) as
          > administrator, the installation process is completed successfully.
          >
          > Please, do you know if it is possible to avoid this process? How can
          > this process be simplified to home users that use our product?
          > Is there something that could help our technical support to deal with
          > Windows Vista clients?

For XP, MS brought out a tool do deal with application compatibilty - see
          the QFixApp section at
          http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/appcmpxp.mspx

But I couldn't find the same thing specifically for Vista, but the toolkit
          at
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905102.aspx
          might help.

Other than that, I can't suggest anything other than waiting for the next
          version of Director to be released - see the thread with the subject "BAD
          NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR" in the macromedia.director.3d newsgroup.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Windows Vista
            Michael_QA Level 1
            thanks