3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 11:50 AM by ECBowen

GTX 980 and 4K monitors

Toy Ray Gun Level 1

Does anyone know if there would be a difference in CUDA/editing performance in Premiere if I use a GTX 980 with 3 Ultra HD monitors (3840 x 2160) as opposed to 3 HD monitors (1920 x 1200)? I am not sure if the CUDA processing is independent from the display output or if they share the same GPU process.

• 1. Re: GTX 980 and 4K monitors
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Right now the 980GTX cards I have seen likely cant handle 3x 4K monitors. They have 1 HDMi and 1 Displayport besides the 2 DVI. DVI ports wont handle that resolution and I am not sure you can run 4K with the DVI ports running HDMi packets.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: GTX 980 and 4K monitors
            Toy Ray Gun Level 1

The card I am looking at is the Asus Strix-GTX980, it has 3 displayport and 1 HDMI connections. According to the Nvidia site, it seems to say the card can run 3 - 4K and 1 - 1080 screens simultaneously. I'm just not sure if that over-taxes the card to do so (Assuming it can do it at all).

• 3. Re: GTX 980 and 4K monitors
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Then that should work. I wasn't aware they had a card with 3 displayports and an HDMi yet.

Revision - Actually I was evidently thinking of the 970GTX instead of the 980GTX. The 980GTX cards in general have the 3x Displayports, 1x HDMi, and 1 DVI. Sorry about that.

Eric

ADK