18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 10:18 AM by Modesto Vega

trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another

rlchiv

Hi; I am trying to open a new catalog because my original catalog is getting somewhat sluggish.  It has about 60000 images.  First, will opening a new catalog improve anything?  Second, I have tried to import the prior catalog "keywords" by going: metadata, import keywords, light room settings, key word sets   and get "no items match your search.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
          dj_paige Level 9

First, will opening a new catalog improve anything?

Unlikely.

But specifically what actions in LR are sluggish? The problem is not the 60,000 images, but could be something in your hardware set-up. So also tell us the following:

• operating system (and is it 32bit or 64bit)
          • CPU
          • amount of memory
          • what type of disk the catalog file is located on (and how fast is the disk if you know it)
          • are you doing a lot of brushing or spot removal/cloning
          • are the photos RAW or JPG or TIF or PSD?
          • how big is a typical photo in megaPIXELS (not megabytes)

I wouldn't bother creating a new catalog at this time, so the problem of importing keywords is moot

• 2. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
            rlchiv Level 1

Windows 7 Home Premium

2.93 gh

12248 meg usable installed memory

64 kilo primary memory cache

256 secondary memory cache

8192 tertiary memory cache

8 gig hard drive / 4.2 free space

catalog is stored on a 3 terabyte external 90% unused

I use light room mostly for filing.  Use Photoshop for retouching

most images are jpg approx 25% are RAW and maybe a couple of hundred PSD's

typical single stored image  60 megs

I think that is all you asked for.  Anything else?

• 4. Re: Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
              ~IanB~ Level 1

will  leave your question to those who know more about it than myself

"I use light room mostly for filing.  Use Photoshop for retouching"

May I ask why you use PS for retouching? Why not LR?

And can someone explain how I add a quote into my posts; please

• 5. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                Modesto Vega Level 1

When was the last time you optimised your catalogue and the last time you tested its integrity? How are you connecting the external HDD to the computer?

• 6. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                  dj_paige Level 9

I think that is all you asked for.  Anything else?

I said "But specifically what actions in LR are sluggish?" I don't see an answer. Without that answer, we can't advise you.

typical single stored image  60 megs

I specifically asked for megaPIXELS and not megaBYTES, and you're not clear on which you are reporting, "megs" could be either, so which is it (but if you are reporting megaBYTES, please don't)

• 7. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                    rlchiv Level 1

Primarily because I was raised on Photoshop and feel very comfortable using it.  I'm sure LR will do most of what I need.

• 8. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                      rlchiv Level 1

Importing images becomes particularly slow.  It may take 10-15 minutes to process 180 images.

That was 60 megapixels

• 9. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                        rlchiv Level 1

Modesto

I looked at when I last optimized and found that it was last done a week ago.  Integrity testing is done each time I exit the program.

I connect to the external hard drive via a USB cable.

• 10. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                          dj_paige Level 9

rlchiv wrote:

Importing images becomes particularly slow.  It may take 10-15 minutes to process 180 images.

That was 60 megapixels

These are HUGE files. Of course things get slow when you import them. Lightroom has to render the RAW image, which takes computer time, and the bigger the image, the more time it will take. Even though you are never going to edit the photos in LR (which is what you said above), you are primarily using Lightroom for its organizational capabilities, Lightroom doesn't know that and it still must devote time to rendering the photos. There is no way to turn this off.

You may want to instruct Lightroom to create the smallest size previews. Lightroom Help | Specify import options

The only other way I know of to speed this up is to get a faster CPU.

As I stated earlier, this has nothing to do with the number of photos in your catalog.

By the way, what camera takes a 60 megapixel photo?

• 11. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                            Modesto Vega Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

By the way, what camera takes a 60 megapixel photo?

A Phase One IQ160 digital back takes 60 megapixel photos, not sure I would dare to touch such a expensive piece of kit.

rlchiv wrote:

That was 60 megapixels

As DJ Paige said, they are huge (and I hope you are shooting raw).

What type of USB connection 3.0, 2.0, 1.0 (Please see external HDD section on Optimize performance for some recommendations)?

Edit: I really meant to ask are you running Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit?

• 12. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                              rlchiv Level 1

Thanks for your help. It has been a long time since I ventured last into this forum.  The experience has been great.  Thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

By the way, my camera shoots 24 megapixels but when I look at the image in Photoshop it shows it as being 60 megapixels.  Why is that?

To: ROBERT CHIAVARINI <robert49055@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:01 AM

Subject:  trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

rlchiv wrote: Importing images becomes particularly slow.  It may take 10-15 minutes to process 180 images. That was 60 megapixels

These are HUGE files. Of course things get slow when you import them. Lightroom has to render the RAW image, which takes computer time, and the bigger the image, the more time it will take. Even though you are never going to edit the photos in LR (which is what you said above), you are primarily using Lightroom for its organizational capabilities, Lightroom doesn't know that and it still must devote time to rendering the photos. There is no way to turn this off. You may want to instruct Lightroom to create the smallest size previews. The only other way I know of to speed this up is to get a faster CPU. As I stated earlier, this has nothing to do with the number of photos in your catalog. By the way, what camera takes a 60 megapixel photo? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7069542#7069542 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7069542#7069542 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 13. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                rlchiv Level 1

I just looked at the metadata in LR and the size is 24 Megapixels which matches the camera and makes sense.  Photoshop must do something in terms of formatting the kicks the size up because these are untouched.  As to cabling, I"m using a USB3 and yes, I am shooting raw.  Thanks again for all your help.

• 14. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                  dj_paige Level 9

By the way, my camera shoots 24 megapixels but when I look at the image in Photoshop it shows it as being 60 megapixels.  Why is that?

There is a difference between megaBYTES and megaPIXELS. Please do not confuse the two.

The 60 is most likely megaBYTES.

• 15. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                    Modesto Vega Level 1

rlchiv wrote:

I just looked at the metadata in LR and the size is 24 Megapixels which matches the camera and makes sense.  Photoshop must do something in terms of formatting the kicks the size up because these are untouched.  As to cabling, I"m using a USB3 and yes, I am shooting raw.  Thanks again for all your help.

It doesn't sound unreasonable, it is the size of my current camera and I do have to wait for imports to complete but never timed them.

Is this a new camera? The reason for the question is that megapixels matter a lot for Lightroom, it is something I haven't gotten used to yet. There are certain Develop adjustments Lightroom struggles with on a 24 megapixel file (cropping, and the Upright and Manual lens corrections, for example). In other words, there are things that Lightroom does on a 6, 12, 14 megapixel file with ease and cannot do with ease on a 24 megapixel file. Memory does not seem to matter, I recently upgraded my laptop and the performance improvement is marginal. You can almost hear the cogwheels moving sometimes.

• 16. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                      rlchiv Level 1

I have had this Nikon 7100 for about 6 months.  It has more whistles and bells than I am likely to use.  I haven't been troubled by 24 megs in LR I guess because I use it mostly for filing and Photoshop for editing.  I only edit a few.  If I were in need of batch editing, which I may in the future, I think LR would be better.

As to the timing, don't we all get spoiled.  We have more computer power now than NASA had 15 years ago.  It makes you wonder how the original Apple 2+ with 48k memory even functioned.

From: Modesto Vega <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: ROBERT CHIAVARINI <robert49055@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:31 AM

Subject:  trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another

created by Modesto Vega in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

rlchiv wrote: I just looked at the metadata in LR and the size is 24 Megapixels which matches the camera and makes sense.  Photoshop must do something in terms of formatting the kicks the size up because these are untouched.  As to cabling, I"m using a USB3 and yes, I am shooting raw.  Thanks again for all your help.

It doesn't sound unreasonable, it is the size of my current camera and I do have to wait for imports to complete but never timed them. Is this a new camera? The reason for the question is that megapixels matter a lot for Lightroom, it is something I haven't gotten used to yet. There are certain Develop adjustments Lightroom struggles with on a 24 megapixel file (cropping, and the Upright and Manual lens corrections, for example). In other words, there are things that Lightroom does on a 6, 12, 14 megapixel file with ease and cannot do with ease on a 24 megapixel file. Memory does not seem to matter, I recently upgraded my laptop and the performance improvement is marginal. You can almost hear the cogwheels moving sometimes. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7070168#7070168 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7070168#7070168 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 17. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                        NicHamilton Level 3

I have a 5Dmk2 which produces 21 megapixel images.  I don't have issues with cropping or lens corrections, even on my oldest PC (Laptop 8 Gig RAM, Windows 7 64 bit) in Lightroom. 

As for the import times they don't sound unbelievable.  My fastest PC takes 48 seconds to import 20 raw files from the 5D2 with 1:1 previews, my slowest just over a minute.  x9 for 180 images would give us 7-10 minutes.

As DJ surmised Photoshop displays the File size not the Megapixels, and this is determined partly by your Photoshop settings (PSD File Compatability).

• 18. Re: trouble with keyword import in LR5 from one catalog to another
                                          Modesto Vega Level 1

NicHamilton wrote:

I have a 5Dmk2 which produces 21 megapixel images.  I don't have issues with cropping or lens corrections, even on my oldest PC (Laptop 8 Gig RAM, Windows 7 64 bit) in Lightroom.

As for the import times they don't sound unbelievable.  My fastest PC takes 48 seconds to import 20 raw files from the 5D2 with 1:1 previews, my slowest just over a minute.  x9 for 180 images would give us 7-10 minutes.

As DJ surmised Photoshop displays the File size not the Megapixels, and this is determined partly by your Photoshop settings (PSD File Compatability).

My MacBook Pro 13 inch screen Late 2011 8GB (recently upgraded) running Mavericks 10.9.5 has a real struggle with cropping and lens corrections with photos from a Nikon D600. No problems with photos from humbler cameras.

Agree with your comment about import speeds.