9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 9:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8

Randy_Q

I have a Sony Vaio laptop I purchased in 2011, running Windows 7. Preinstalled on the computer was Premiere Elements 8 so I have been editing a video I recorded using this software, December 31, 2014 was the last time I edited the video until yesterday. Yesterday I booted up my computer, started Adobe Premiere Elements 8, Opened my project, watched as the loading meter went to 100%, the loading meter went off and nothing...I was looking at the Premiere Elements 8 screen with nothing, just a grey background with all my headings at the top like I had not opened a project, I have tried this many times with the same results

• 1. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Randy_Q

Can you open a new Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project? If you can, for now, look at the saved closed reopened project as a damaged project and try the troubleshooting

suggestions in the following Adobe document which deals with troubleshooting damaged projects.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Did you move, delete, or rename any of the source media imported into the project after you saved closed the project?

Again, make sure you are working with disabled automatic Background Rendering feature in Premiere Elements Editor workspace preferences and the AutoAnalzyer feature in Elements Organizer preferences.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
            Randy_Q Level 1

No I cannot create a new project, when I click New Project I am able to name the project but whenever I click OK to go to the editor it just goes back to like I never opened/created a project yet. To the best of my remembrance I have not changed any footage names. Sometimes when I try to load my project I get this notice "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project"

• 3. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Randy_Q

Thanks for the reply.

Based on new and existing projects not opening....

Let us get some routine factors ruled in or out first..

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

2. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

3. Have you tried to roll back any Windows Updates that may have downloaded and installed from December 31, 2014 to today?

I am reluctant to suggest a System Restore to December 31, 2014 at this time.

4. Try for deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs files exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Let us determine the consequences of the above. Do you have Premiere Elements 8 installation files and purchased serial number if we are faced with an uninstall/reinstall of the program. Can I assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with version 8.0/8.0.1 and that you are currently working from a User Account with

Administrative Privileges?

ATR

• 4. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                Randy_Q Level 1

Alright I have been trying to resolve this issue but have not succeeded. Below are the steps I have taken

I have a copy of Premiere Elements 12.0 free trial on my computer that I installed and I was able to pull up the video file but of course it had a water mark across the screen.

I do not have key codes for the 8.0 program because it was preinstalled on my system.

1) Turned off anti-virus, firewall, and disconnected from the internet

2) I am using a laptop

3) There are no updates installed December 31, 2014 or later

4) I found the folder C;:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0, inside that folder are FOLDERS: Layouts, OLS, SC. and files:

Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

AMEPrefs.xml

APDPreferences.xml

CAHeadless Pluging Loading.log

DVD Menus Tree

Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset

Favorite Transactions and Custom Items.pr...

Placeholder Preset.epr

Plugin Loading.log

PremiereImportableFiles

title text animation

tmp.txt

Trace Datebase.txt

I am not sure exactly what to delete and I am also curious if deleting any of this will cause me to loose any working I have done on the video?

• 5. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Randy_Q

Please refer to my post numbered 3

You wrote in post numbered 4

4) I found the folder C;:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0, inside that folder are FOLDERS: Layouts, OLS, SC. and files:

Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

AMEPrefs.xml

APDPreferences.xml

CAHeadless Pluging Loading.log

DVD Menus Tree

Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset

Favorite Transactions and Custom Items.pr...

Placeholder Preset.epr

Plugin Loading.log

PremiereImportableFiles

title text animation

tmp.txt

Trace Datebase.txt

You delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in that 8.0 Folder. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

file exist. If you above list represents what is in your 8.0 Folder, you delete all of it as you delete the whole 8.0 Folder.

Since you can see this file and this folder, you have the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled. So, you are OK there.

Your should not lose any of your projects. Your personal preferences will need to be re-set under Edit Menu/Preferences/General. If in doubt, back up. This has been done many many times as part of a troubleshooting scheme without any horror stories.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                    Randy_Q Level 1

Ok, I took it upon myself to defragment my hard drive and conducted a disk cleanup which did not help, also I followed your advise of erasing the pref folder but that still did not work. I contacted Adobe via chat to obtain a fresh download and key code but they said they could only offer help on 13.0

• 7. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Randy_Q

Thanks for the update. Sorry the solution was not found yet.

I do not see an avenue from Adobe for a fresh download since this was a pre-install from a computer manufacturer. You might be able to get the serial number for this pre-install. If this version got registered at Adobe somehow, there might be a listing for it under "My Products" after you sign into Adobe web site (http://www.adobe.com) with your Adobe ID and Password. Type in My Products in the Search field and follow it to your products. If you see Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 listed, click on that to reveal the serial number.

But still no replacement installation files.

Let us recap

1. Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and 8.0 Folder deleted

2. You have been through my check list in post numbered 3.

3. You have done general computer maintenance.

4. Can you get into Elements Organizer 9? If so, please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options and disable everything under AutoAnalzyer Options.

Did that impact the issue in anyway?

5. We cannot uninstall reinstall or create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges since we do not have access to installation files and probably serial number.

Are we at a stage when System Restore to about December 31, 2014 becomes an option? Or rolling back the Windows Updates to December 32, 2014?

You have ruled out that the problem exists with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. Is that correct?

ATR

• 8. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                        Randy_Q Level 1

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) I cannot find a separate program name Elements Organizer(Was not sure if this was supposed to exist or not) but I tried to access it by opening Premiere Elements 8.0 and clicking on Organize from the startup screen. It opens for about 5 seconds, the cursor continually spins, and then the program shuts down.

5) Correct. I checked my account and there are no products showing up

In case it matters I wanted to show my system specs and also ask if you think it is enough specs for editing small films:

Intel Core I5

6GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (I know this needs to be upgraded)

• 9. Re: Saved files will not load Premiere Elements 8
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Randy_Q

Thanks for the recap and other information. Appreciated.

First, typing error correction in my post numbered 7....I mentioned Elements Organizer 9...that should have been Elements Organizer 8.

Outdated video card/graphics card drivers have been known to cause problems for Premiere Elements. So, let us make sure that the ATI card driver is up to

date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. Also, check if there is an ATI Control Panel where you can customize the card/driver settings.

Does your computer use more than one video card/graphics card? Please verify under Device Manager/Display Adapters. I did not go after the video card/graphics

card in this instance since you were using the program successful as of December 31, 2014.

Please see if you gain anything by deleting the settings file for the Elements Organizer 8.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

I will be thinking about this some more. More in the morning.

Thanks for all the follow ups.

ATR